Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

glen123 wrote: »
    I am using Chrome browser. Checked the app - looks similar. In both I can Edit card details, not delete the card.

But found this on their site, so looks like turning off Auto renewal and renewing manually will give an option to either use Credit or Card. Auto renewal will charge Card automatically.

How to add your membership.

Login to your My48 on desktop or App.
    Go to >> Membership or in a hurry click here
    If you have an active membership and want to renew this again then select "Buy next membership"
    If your current membership has expired or you want to change to another membership then chose from the available options displayed.
    Once you've selected the membership you want, a new screen will display your purchase summary.
    You'll have the option to pay from your registered card, your available credit balance or you can add a new payment card.

I had an issue before where I couldn't access anything like amending card details, or save data in the vault, using the browser on desktop. But browser on mobile worked OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

48 have managed to mess up my long-term mobile account in the last few days.
    I'm getting missed calls and voicemails and, having spoken to the other party, he's just joined 48 and his voicemails are going to my voicemail if that makes sense. I've no idea what they've done but needless to say, the Customer service is lousy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

KildareP wrote: »
    Peaking a fantastic 2.17Mbps on 4G+ tonight.
    Or a faster 7.3Mbps upload...

How's everyone else's speeds?
    Comreg says my area in Dublin should have better 4G coverage with 48 than with GoMo but I'm another getting worse speeds with 48 so I'm likely to stick with GoMo

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

bassy wrote: »
    Just got my son today how do I get the 1 month free??
    Is baby not too young to have a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

How long does activation take?

48 logo has been swirling around now for about 15 mins.

• Advertisement

I have read through most of this thread. Very useful information in it. I'm with GoMo and am happy with it. However I'm moving house in a few weeks and the GoMo speeds are poor there. According to the Comreg coverage map 48 should provide better coverage.
    I ordered a SIM last night so will see how it works out.
    Anyone have any recommendation for a router to use with it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PCros wrote: »
    How long does activation take?

48 logo has been swirling around now for about 15 mins.

Use the website, not the app.

Just finished my contract with Eir so going to try out the 7 days free and see how it goes.

Quick one - what is LTE exactly? In between 3G and 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

LTE is 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

is anyone on 3 having data problems lately? I'm wondering if it's due to the 48 uptake? Extra load etc.

Mine is cutting out completely only to return 60 seconds later. Youtube vids take a while to start although when it gets going it's fine. Been like this for a week or more, never been this bad. Was hoping it was some technical glitch but it's been going on too long now for that. I'm hotspotting from my mobile which always worked fine btw.

• Advertisement

What is the difference between recruiting with the URL or recruiting with 5 sims? Do I get credit for both of them and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

PCros wrote: »
    What is the difference between recruiting with the URL or recruiting with 5 sims? Do I get credit for both of them and how much?

Both Options give both of you €8 credit when your referred person buys the membership. With url option you give the person the link and they use it to order their own sim and sort it themselves. When you order sims you can hand them to people and when they add a membership to that sim you both get a free €8 credit which can then be used to add a month’s membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

I am only getting 9mb of speed I am in Ashtown Dublin 15.

I changed the APN settings to the below:
    APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com.
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms.
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19.
    MMS Port: 8080.
    MCC: 272.
    MNC: 11.
    APN Type: default,mms,supl.

Have I the right ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

bleuhh wrote: »
    I am only getting 9mb of speed I am in Ashtown Dublin 15.

I changed the APN settings to the below:
    APN: 48months.liffeytelecom.com.
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms.
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19.
    MMS Port: 8080.
    MCC: 272.
    MNC: 11.
    APN Type: default,mms,supl.

Have I the right ones?

Yes. That's the one

Just a thought. If a load of people leave GoMo for 48 then download speeds with GoMo should improve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

lighthouse wrote: »
    Just a thought. If a load of people leave GoMo for 48 then download speeds with GoMo should improve :)

And 48 goes through the floor.

As an aside, 48 like other virtuals on 3 seem to route their data through Liffeytelecom which mainstream 3 does not. My experience of liffey in the early Tescomobile days was not good. One particularly prolonged outage was blamed on a rain leak through a data centre roof. :rolleyes:

So far so good.

In the attached the bottom two tests are Eir and the top two tests are 48 when I moved over.

The area is North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭the rock29

I thought 3 own 48 it's not a mvno and could you not use the 3 APN settings

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭3d4life

And 48 goes through the floor.

As an aside, 48 like other virtuals on 3 seem to route their data through Liffeytelecom which mainstream 3 does not. My experience of liffey in the early Tescomobile days was not good. One particularly prolonged outage was blamed on a rain leak through a data centre roof. :rolleyes:

Looks to me like Three Irl and Liffey Telecom have the same H.O. address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

the rock29 wrote: »
    I thought 3 own 48 it's not a mvno and could you not use the 3 APN settings

What they, and GOMO really are, are MNO sub brands, but they both operate in exactly the same way as an MVNO. Their own branding, customer care, marketing etc, and their own APN.

If you were looking for a definition of MVNO, then these types of operations would be included as a subset.

At one stage 48 was owned by Telefonica and operated on the O2 network. O2 were also owned by Telefonoca. When Three bought O2, I think for a period, Telefonica still owned 50% but I think they're now no longer involved.

Xavier Nel the guy who owns Eir has a strategy of creating MVNO/MNO sub brands in most of the territories he operates in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

lighthouse wrote: »

Why would those on 9.99 plan leave go mo if they dont need extra data. Surely not to save the extra money? If so, I thought I was careful with money but this is taking the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Why would those on 9.99 plan leave go mo if they dont need extra data. Surely not to save the extra money? If so, I thought I was careful with money but this is taking the biscuit.

I'm evaluating 48 vs Gomo. So far Gomo is winning. It has faster data speeds almost everywhere I check. If 48 was better I'd switch.

No particular reason, I've only had a few issues with Gomo. Random dropped calls - not really an issue for me as I mostly use WhatsApp. Roaming was also pretty poor, though I suspect 48 is little better in that regard.

I'll probably hang on to the 48 sim just incase Gomo deteriorates in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

GoMo speeds gone downhill for a lot of people, I had it since launched in October, but speeds constantly down around 2mb since March, and 4g dropping a lot to h and even e! Finally left in May and went back to vodafone, and their speeds constantly around 80+ mb, in same location

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

I had another evening of poor speeds on 48 last night so swapped out for a gomo sim and had 30 down with a much lower latency.

Pity the data is a smaller limit but I'll try picking up a three sim for 10 and checking it out. Pity as the first few days on 48 I didn't have these issues, got a slight drop off on evening time but had expected that. Last 2 evenings were terrible tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It would be the coverage for me.
    Where I live Gomo/eir coverage is terrible. Cant get a signal at all inside.
    3 coverage seems to be much better.
    So i'll try 48 for a week or so and if the coverage is stable im happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Main reason 2 of my clan moved from Gomo is that 48 is prepay and Gomo is billpay. Coverage/speeds are similar for both where we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

podge3 wrote: »
    Main reason 2 of my clan moved from Gomo is that 48 is prepay and Gomo is billpay. Coverage/speeds are similar for both where we live.

Agree, pay as you go with 48is a huge plus. Know a few people who have their accounts raided by gomo for so called extras that they were unaware of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Purely coverage.
    I went from having no bars at my kitchen table (WFH) to having 3 bars 3G by porting from GoMo to 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Agree, pay as you go with 48is a huge plus. Know a few people who have their accounts raided by gomo for so called extras that they were unaware of.

PAYG is a plus in some ways but a minus in others. I get that you don't want to wrack up a bill from premium texts etc but gomo limits your bill to €50 so most you can go over by is that. Not having to top up is handy if you call foreign numbers now and again for example. With 48 you need to always remember to have enough credit on the account for the full call. With Gomo you don't have that worry. Been testing 48 in a few places the last few days and speeds seem fine on the most part. I did lose signal altogether for about 5 mins yesterday afternoon but 3 apparently had another outage according to the indo.

Whatever this issue is 3 is having the last few days surely is temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Quick question, I switched from Vodafone PAYG to 48, happy with the service so far. One thing though, iMessage & Facetime are not working on iPhone 7, message says waiting for number'activation', anyone experience similar issues ?

Advertisement