Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Belcamp College, Malahide Road.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Allyall wrote: »

its an inside joke im a darndale alien:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

davycc wrote: »
    i hear your point perhaps we might be able to arrange a visit in june ?
    i think i saw a poster mention visiting when the crops were cut this summer on the previous page

What do you mean? Will it be open for anyone to walk around in June do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    As there are some historians on this thread, could someone perhaps confirm that this is the same Belcamp that belonged to the family of Henry Grattan M.P.? As far as I can see no-one seems to have mentioned the name as yet and I wondered if it is in fact the same Belcamp. If it is, then the history of the building is a much longer one than some might realise.

Vincent Mulligan OMI used to tell us that Henry Grattan was a regular visitor to the house but not the owner or resident.
    Countess Markievicz trained the youngsters of Na Fianna on Belcamp lands for at least 5 years leading up to the 1916 Rising. There are photographs of these currently on display at Meeting House Square in Temple Bar, Dublin.

in my original belcamp prospectus from 93 it claims that micheal collins threw in the game ball in a gaa game there and also that pearse brought his st endas side over for a schools final vs belcamp..

i still have my old prospectus in a locker at home for safe keeping , probably the only one left after the fire

EDIT found my old school prospectus : " P Pearse brought a team to play the blue and whites while later M. Collins threw the ball in to begin a leinster final in belcamp

12799415_1049272991796142_5203398991120876063_n.jpg
    i got this pic and description from a local historians facebook page:cool:

Con Colbert in Belcamp

I was on my way to a meeting in City Hall this morning when I saw this photograph on display, in large format, in a window on Wellington Quay. You think you've seen most of the images to do with the Rising and the leaders and then you see one like this. It is a Fianna Éireann group in Belcamp, Coolock about 1910. The house and land -later Belcamp College - were leased for the Fianna by Constance Markievicz. On the right, with the dark hair, just above and to the left of the man with the hat, is Con Colbert, executed in May 1916. The photo is part of the 1916 exhibition of the Gallery of Photography in Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, where the National Library also has a 1916 photo exhibition, both excellent and well worth visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

This place has so much history,

The Harry Clarke stained glass (Removed before the fire)
    The only Washington memorial in the world built during his lifetime.
    James Hoban, the Whitehouse architect and the Oval office designed by him in Belcamp before the Whitehouse was built.
    The Constance Markievicz connection.

Not to mention the famous actors and sports people who came through this school. A real shame that the Irish Government has let it fall to ruin. I know it's private property, but it should be listed with strict planning permissions.

I wonder what the Oblates did with their 105 million. I hope it all went on benevolent causes.

James Hoban, the Whitehouse architect and the Oval office designed by him in Belcamp before the Whitehouse was built.

Not to mention the famous actors and sports people who came through this school. A real shame that the Irish Government has let it fall to ruin. I know it's private property, but it should be listed with strict planning permissions.

I wonder what the Oblates did with their 105 million. I hope it all went on benevolent causes.

If they were listed before the fire could they be now de-listed because of the state they are in?

in my original belcamp prospectus from 93 it claims that micheal collins threw in the game ball in a gaa game there and also that pearse brought his st endas side over for a schools final vs belcamp..

i still have my old prospectus in a locker at home for safe keeping , probably the only one left after the fire

EDIT found my old school prospectus : " P Pearse brought a team to play the blue and whites while later M. Collins threw the ball in to begin a leinster final in belcamp

In my day we had a 'Belcamp Annual' which was a recap of the events of the school year just gone. It became too expensive and died out. Was the "prospectus" you mention a renewal of the old 'annual' or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

If they were listed before the fire could they be now de-listed because of the state they are in?
    Well whatever needs to be done to get some renovation going. I have no idea about planning law but it's a crying shame to leave the building in it's current state. It will never be sorted out though, not in Ireland.

I live in England now and we have many such buildings under the care of the national trust that are looked after and open to the public for a small fee that helps with the upkeep.

For me it's a symbol for celtic tiger Ireland, sold to the highest bidder and not a thought given to it's historical and cultural importance.

Well whatever needs to be done to get some renovation going. I have no idea about planning law but it's a crying shame to leave the building in it's current state. It will never be sorted out though, not in Ireland.

I live in England now and we have many such buildings under the care of the national trust that are looked after and open to the public for a small fee that helps with the upkeep.

For me it's a symbol for celtic tiger Ireland, sold to the highest bidder and not a thought given to it's historical and cultural importance.

I'm fairly sure that the old house was a listed building and couldn't be changed structurally but as has been said, a fire can and did destroy it. Curious how the Harry Clarke stained-glass windows were saved in the nick of time.

• Advertisement

In my day we had a 'Belcamp Annual' which was a recap of the events of the school year just gone. It became too expensive and died out. Was the "prospectus" you mention a renewal of the old 'annual' or something else?

no its just a small glossy half a4 sized softback with about 20 pages max.. i used to give them out to parents when there was an open day and id show them around the schools classrooms and outdoor facilities ..

dont recall your annuals now sorry. i was there 93-98

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

i hear your point perhaps we might be able to arrange a visit in june ?
    i think i saw a poster mention visiting when the crops were cut this summer on the previous page

What do you mean? Will it be open for anyone to walk around in June do you think?
    That was me. I visited it with my friend one Sunday about this time last year. (The oil seed rape was blooming yellow and tall and be easy to hide in so we thought it was a good time) we got in by walking down the road that balgriffen cemetery is on and at the end on the left you can seen a track where others have been going in (it might be blocked now)
    We walked around the house and through it its a shell. Church has all windows and doors steel plated up and is intact. There's rough looking horses in the walled garden. Then we seen the scuirity guard waiting for us back near the house so we left through the fields.

micraX wrote: »
    That was me. I visited it with my friend one Sunday about this time last year. (The oil seed rape was blooming yellow and tall and be easy to hide in so we thought it was a good time) we got in by walking down the road that balgriffen cemetery is on and at the end on the left you can seen a track where others have been going in (it might be blocked now)
    We walked around the house and through it its a shell. Church has all windows and doors steel plated up and is intact. There's rough looking horses in the walled garden. Then we seen the scuirity guard waiting for us back near the house so we left through the fields.

'Come Here To Me' Blog has a piece on it and includes some Youtube videos. Sorry if I'm doubling up, I haven't read all the thread. Terrible shame!
    https://comeheretome.com/2011/04/14/belcamp-college-goes-up-in-flames/

'Come Here To Me' Blog has a piece on it and includes some Youtube videos. Sorry if I'm doubling up, I haven't read all the thread. Terrible shame!
    https://comeheretome.com/2011/04/14/belcamp-college-goes-up-in-flames/

"come here to me" straight out of Ned Barrett's mouth!
    I take it that was deliberate?

"come here to me" straight out of Ned Barrett's mouth!
    I take it that was deliberate?

Sorry, I really don't understand what you are referring to in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The phrase "Come here to me" for the title of the blog, I presume also used to be something Ned Barrett used to say a lot..

I'm guessing.

Think I may have just sussed what you are on about now. Especially as I just read all the responses on the link.

The phrase "Come here to me" for the title of the blog, I presume also used to be something Ned Barrett used to say a lot..

I'm guessing.

That's it but I see now that 'Come here to me' has many other topics.

That's it but I see now that 'Come here to me' has many other topics.

Its a well known blog in history circles and Donal Fallon is regularly on Newstalk with some great history stories, some hitherto unknown stuff he's come across. Great stuff!

''call for intervention after fire at belcamp college ''RTE news headline:mad:

a quick call to my mum reveals there was a fire last night with plenty off fire trucks on hand..

bastarding braindead vandals :(

• Advertisement

''call for intervention after fire at belcamp college ''RTE news headline:mad:

a quick call to my mum reveals there was a fire last night with plenty off fire trucks on hand..

bastarding braindead vandals :(

Or clever conniving developers.

Or clever conniving developers.

plenty of bastarding braindead vandals in the conmen developers groups too . hope the cops got cctv footage of the arsonist/s given the site is strewn with cameras and mobile security lads

just heard on kildare FM that a 3 week planned dig is under way looking for a dead body missing 11yrs ago in the college....some one callled Lawlor i think

unconnected to the fire attacks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

1893 was the year Belcamp opened by the Oblate Fathers.
    It is a Fianna Éireann group in Belcamp, Coolock about 1910. The house and land -later Belcamp College - were leased for the Fianna by Constance Markievicz.

If it was opened in 1893 how could it "later" become Belcamp College after 1910?

just heard on kildare FM that a 3 week planned dig is under way looking for a dead body missing 11yrs ago in the college....some one callled Lawlor i think

unconnected to the fire attacks

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/site-off-malahide-road-searched-for-man-missing-for-12-years-1.2732722

Jesus. wrote: »
    If it was opened in 1893 how could it "later" become Belcamp College after 1910?

It may have started as a Missionary College for trainee Oblates and "later" opened to the public. I'll do a bit of digging on that and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 David Flanagan.

Great times, loved the place..

Advertisement