Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second hand oak table

• 30-09-2020 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I bought a second hand oak table. There is some kind of stain / mark on it that I would like to try and remove or reduce as much as possible and then refinish the table top

I don't know what the stain is but it looks like the previous owner had sanded it against the grain

IMG-20200926-124702-2-1.jpg

I sanded a bit with the grain to see what would happen and this is what it looks like now

IMG-20200930-001212-1.jpg

IMG-20200930-001220-1.jpg

Any advice on what I could try to remove / reduce the stain ?

Also any advice on what to use to refinish the tale top ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

photos aren't loading for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

photos aren't loading for me?

They should be visible now I think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

you can remove it with oxalic acid use about a teaspoon in 300ml of boiling water apply to stain and leave to dry or dry with heat gun if you have one ,it may take several applications ,when happy wash area with clean water, be careful as oxalic acid dust can irritate the respiration tract and is poisonous

dathi wrote: »
    you can remove it with oxalic acid use about a teaspoon in 300ml of boiling water apply to stain and leave to dry or dry with heat gun if you have one ,it may take several applications ,when happy wash area with clean water, be careful as oxalic acid dust can irritate the respiration tract and is poisonous

I will give it a go, thanks. Where is the best place to buy some ?

What would be the best thing to put on the table top as a finish then do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can see the stain crosses over two separate strips in the table top though.

you can see the stain crosses over two separate strips in the table top though.

Is that a bigger issue then ?

the post i was responding to has been deleted. someone commented it may have been natural coloration in the wood, but it's not.

so my comment was just pointing out that it can't be natural.

Have tried the oxalic acid, applied it a few times but it didn't remove or lighten the stain

is there anything else I can try ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Have tried the oxalic acid, applied it a few times but it didn't remove or lighten the stain

is there anything else I can try ?

It might be some kind of oil stain. An old trick is to pour a little meths on it and set it alight. Let it burn for a few minutes - it will extinguish itself. You might have to repeat a few times.
    After that a good sanding will help going up to 240 grit. Tables take a lot of abuse so I generally use a satin polyurethane put on with a good varnish brush.

• Advertisement

It might be some kind of oil stain. An old trick is to pour a little meths on it and set it alight. Let it burn for a few minutes - it will extinguish itself. You might have to repeat a few times.
    After that a good sanding will help going up to 240 grit. Tables take a lot of abuse so I generally use a satin polyurethane put on with a good varnish brush.

I wasn't brave enough to try the lighting meths option, had visions of burning the table or the house down :eek:

I did try oxalic acid, white spirits, baking soda, light sanding and the pink stuff - the miracle cleaning paste with no luck

Decided to just try and sand it out, and managed to get most of it out. Can still be seen but its at a stage where I was happy with it. It almost looks like part of the wood now. There is a bit of a dip where I sanded it out but happy with the result overall.

I had already bought Liberon Hard Wax Oil Satin to finish it. So after treating the whole table top with oxalic acid and sanding it I applied 3 coats.

Photos of the results below :)

IMG-20201021-203745.jpg

IMG-20201021-203759.jpg

IMG-20201021-203915.jpg

Advertisement