Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They are technically correct to call DB, IE and BE CIE after all they are still part of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

That isn't the point. If an entire rebranding exercise, conducted more than three-and-a-half decades ago has passed over the heads of a significant proportion of the population, how does the NTA ever expect its TFI initiative (with added GAI, for extra confusion) to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

The threatened withdrawal of service from west Tallaght was changed at the last minute this evening, to running the buses up and down the N81 and bypassing the estates on either side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It looks that the hub progress has slowed down within the past month, not sure what the reasons are. However, I have noticed an abandoned house (was it a small pub/restaurant years ago, not sure, but I'm around 7 years in the area and never seen it opened) between the LV and the N4, close enough to the M&S. It looks that there are renovation works going on in the building. The parking beside that house is for maybe 15-20 cars, there were at least 5 vans parked, some of them branded. Not sure who are these builders and if they work inside of the building, or related to the hub (the hub is a few hundred metres away). In saw contractors working on the exterior of the building a few weeks back...

About Palmerstown - I have very little sympathy to these residents. They are no better to those opposing bus lanes, cycle lanes and removal of the parking spaces - they only are interested of their own selfish desires, ignoring others' needs... Not that long ago Palmerstown people were against the buses going via Lucan Road so that a bus stop would be at least a bit closer to the Stewarts Hospital. Re 18: people will use 80 + S4 from now on. I believe, there aren't that many people from Palmerstown to Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Out if curiosity I was trying to find the original indicative dates for implementation of the various spines.

Would anyone have these handy or point me in the right direction ?

Also I know recruitment is currently an issue and as others have mentioned the phases are paused until the driver numbers are there but does anyone have any indicative timelines for the remaining spines. As someone from bray I'm obviously interested in E spine as a 24hr service is long overdue out this direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Just following this up today (re bus stops where you have to step off into mud because the concrete area is only wide enough for the bus front doors).

NTA website "contact us" section for "general queries, feedback or complaints about public transport services" links to the TFI Support page.

The TFI Support page states:

"Please contact the public transport operator directly for issues and enquiries relating to the ongoing provision of public transport services including matters such as:

• Operational matters: Bus stop infrastructure, Fares and ticketing"

So I need to contact both Dublin Bus and Go Ahead about these bus stops? That seems like nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The original plan was:

2022 - Orbitals & G-Spine

2023 - F, E & D Spines

2024 - A & B Spines, and Ranelagh radials

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks for that. Assuming the 2023 plan for F, E & D is out the window now ?

I'd still expect at least one phase to be rolled out this year. If we're lucky, maybe two phases. But knowing how bad things are being managed in Ireland, I'm more on a sceptical side.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That building was a training centre for the shopping centre I think. Definitely not a pub/restaurant

• Advertisement

Nothing is certain, as everything relies on the companies hiring staff in sufficient numbers. Unless you have a reliable crystal ball, it is impossible to say how that will pan out.

The orbital phases involve a significant expansion of services, and getting them up and running really has to be the priority for 2023 along with ensuring that the existing timetable is able to be staffed adequately.

To be implemented we have:

N2, O, S2, S4, S6, S8, W2, W4, W6 and the L25.

The N2, O, W4, W6 and L25 are brand new services, which will require totally new staff.

The S2, S4, S6 and S8 are all more frequent than the routes they are replacing and will need additional staff too.

If they manage to recruit sufficient staff then at least one of the Spines may follow.

The vast majority of people know the names of the operating companies - I think you are exaggerating the issue.

When the NTA finally set up the centralised customer service operation, I think that the TfI brand will get more exposure.

There is nothing to stop you raising this with the NTA - Just send them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

What about the N8? I presume thats still going ahead ?

That was a late addition and isn’t due until 2024 I’m afraid.

Thanks! Interesting to know. I think they now have a conference/meeting room in the back of the shopping centre, or rent a hotel conference for that. LV was extended a few times over the years, so that wouldn't surprise me. It's just petty they still haven't got rid of these ugly service gates in the front for deliveries. They seem to be randomly in the difference sides of the building with no sense of esthetics. Well badly designed with no future planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

In my experience, a huge amount of people don't know (or care, tbh) about the names of the operating companies. This is partly because the NTA made such a mess from the outset, as is their standard practice. They should have had a centralised customer service operation from the outset. In addition to removing any confusion, it would place more pressure on the operators and force the NTA to take notice of recurring service issues that they currently turn a blind eye to. And as for the branding - Dublin Bus should've been forced into an acceptable new NTA livery (not the blue and yellow mishmash that appeared in 2018, which completely ignored the public consultation on liveries) before Go Ahead came along.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

New G-spine schedule proposed for the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Any news on the “We’re Hiring” programme?

Has there been at least some people applying to drive? Because ultimately this is our way out of the delays to progress this project.

I was on Collins Ave a few times this week and saw some packed N4’s. It’s really flying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've noticed that complaints have all but stopped on twitter comparedntonthe furrore a few weeks ago. Has the driver situation improved? It would be great if they could get the orbitals sorted this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

The proposed 80 bus to replace the 26 is just a terrible idea. (Which I have pointed out in an ABP submission). Nobody asked for a bus to go into palmerstown village, bar the 18 which already served the village, it literally slows down the journey for everyone taking that bus when the walk from the original 26 stop on the 148 took 2 mins.

I have a feeling some of the new routes, like that aspect of the number 80 route are just box ticking (at an expensive cost to the tax payer), in order for the NTA to say "we have 70% or whatever percentage of the greater Dublin population within 400 meters of a bus stop.

Overall, the C spine seems to work quite well in my experience, nice to have the 24 hour buses and they seem to be busy coming from town even at 2am.

One question why are some of the express routes that run along the C spine in the morning and evening called some crazy names like the p29 or x25? (Could there not be some cohesion and call them the XC1 or am I missing something here)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You can't possibly concatenate all the peak/express buses outbound under just one route name/number. Inbound maybe — although there are still notable differences in the areas certain peak/express serve both on the way and in terms of destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yes it would be fantastic to see "XC1, XA2" etc launched for every route.

It's painful stopping at every stop. Dublin's bus stops are too frequent, which is part of the issue. I wonder how do other cities tackle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Even if they have enough drivers for the current schedule they'll still need more for any expansion. And It's one thing recruiting drivers, it's another thing keeping them.

PT is not a cost, it's an investment to the climate change and also a return in a service form to the tax payers. How dare you to call it an expense?

P is peak services at all or most stops.

X is express services skipping many bus stops.

80 is a brilliant idea. How would you have it done better?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭TranslatorPS

One question why are some of the express routes that run along the C spine in the morning and evening called some crazy names like the p29 or x25? (Could there not be some cohesion and call them the XC1 or am I missing something here)?

The problem with the 66X and 67X was that they had a ton of variations to cover essentially six different routings under two numbers. Splitting them out into the X/P25-32 band gave extra clarity to the timetables.

You might notice that the prefixed services are numbered clockwise, from X1 and L1 in Greystones to the X78 and L80s in Malahide, while the regular radial services are numbered anti-clockwise, from the 6 in Howth to the 98 along Merrion Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The 26/80 was not originally planned to go into the village during the first design of the network, but was changed after the first consultation. The 18 is being cancelled (which I think is justified as it wastes resources carrying vast amounts of thin air up and down the Old Lucan Road) and I gather there may have been concerns raised about loss of connectivity for people at Stewarts Hospital/Mill Lane going towards Ballyfermot and beyond. With the 80 going in to the village, they will at least only have to make one transfer to the S4 up at the Coldcut.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

If you read the post you would note that I said that the improvements in general for the c spine are quite good.

The proposals to run the 80 through palmerstown is absolutely an unnecessary expense. It requires the complete reconfiguration of the junction at the oval and acquisition of lands. (This extra expense could be used to buy additional buses or maybe replace bus stops that are only a pole with sheltered bus stops).

As I pointed out nobody asked for a bus to run through the village; and stewards hospital, isn't a 'traditional hospital', it only serves disabled people who primarily use their own private transport for obvious reasons. Even still the 26 bus was only a 5 min walk at most.

The lived reality here is that they are actually slowing down the journey time of the new 80 bus (old 26) as it will now have to cross over the R148 twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I was wondering about route O - what sort of service pattern sould we be expecting? Will it be as simple as a clockwise service and a counter clockwise service, with both starting at heuston? Or will it be a mix of workings starting at heuston and Connolly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The first option, clockwise and counterclockwise from heuston no doubt with huge reliability issues with no plans for bus priority

Advertisement