Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's the person who claimed a few months ago that Dublin Bus is being wound up. Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

The year is young

some other drivers will post here and confirm what I posted.

many here have a real problem with the fact they don’t know as much as they like to believe, they should be humble and learn when given the opportunity, make them better posters in the long run.

never be afraid to learn.

Common knowledge among staff

ask a driver, we don’t bite

all the depots where valued during covid

C’road sold and several hundred apartments going to be built there

plans for a new depot in Tallaght

loads more stuff going on that is not public knowledge

Post edited by drivingmissdaisy on

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Some of it is rumours (and the stuff about people pretending to be Ukrainian to get on the bus for free is frankly bullshit), but there's also some truth in what they've said. Particularly with regard to the recruitment problems. Both DB and GAI are experiencing huge staffing issues right now, and that's only going to get worse. At this stage, that well has run dry. GAI's staff retention issues are well-documented, but DB has huge issues in that area too. It's not a well-paid job, the hours are crap and people very quickly realise that there's much easier work out there.

• Advertisement

Dont know what routes you drive, but you can vouch for the fact there are no ticket checkers out and about since the start of covid.

Some areas have hotels full of Ukrainians, they travel for free, do you agree Y/N?

The local eastern europeans are seeing them get on board bus and say in broken english "Ukrainian free travel?" Drivers wave them on

The local eastern europeans are now doing the same, be damned if im going to have argument, DB and NTA dont care about fare evasion, so why should i make my day more difficult? wave them on, now Irish are seeing this and doing the same, cant say i blame them, the Ukrainians getting full dole and full board in a hotel probably have more money to spend than many irish at the moment.

The free travel for Ukrainians was only supposed to be from airport to location they are staying, but it has taken on a life of it own.

The staffing problem is growing, no doubt it will become noticeable to the public soon enough in both DB and GA, the only way to fix it is to pay more, there will be plenty of outrage here if that happens, so pick your poison, services missing or higher pay for drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Last time I saw a checker was long before I ever drove a bus. Between the lack of enforcement and unreliable 20+ year old ticket machines that aren't fit for purpose, I think it's safe to say that the NTA don't care about revenue collection. They should either start enforcing fares or bite the bullet and abolish them altogether.

I haven't encountered anyone impersonating a Ukrainian. There are easier ways of avoiding fares (get a free pass that they seem to hand out willy-nilly, use your dead granny's one, use the ticket machine beep sound effect on YouTube, don't hold your Leap card for long enough to register the fare, brazenly walk past the driver, etc). And I certainly wouldn't resent offering free travel (or a basic income) to people fleeing a war-torn country. My only complaint is that they should have been given Leap cards, as I have absolutely no business looking at anyone's passport.

The problem with paying drivers more, is that it'll need to be a hell of a lot more. I certainly won't be doing this job in five years time - not because of the money, but because of all the personal sacrifices that shift work involves. It's not healthy. I've lost count of the number of colleagues who've had heart attacks and other health problems over the last few years and I don't want to find myself in that situation. The truth is, there are too many alternatives out there. The driver shortage is already visible to any passenger who pays attention and I really don't know how it can be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If anyone thinks things are bad now with missing buses all over the place, wait until drivers start taking their summer holidays starting next month. It's going to be a sh*tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Ukranian refugee bus driver training programme ahoy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actual schedule cuts over summer for "lower demand" will probably help hide any issues there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

So… is the 26 being scrapped in the coming phases? All I can see on the maps is the hourly 80 route…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 26 will remain until the 14 changes in 2024, and the routes are merged into the 80.

The maps for the final network do not show planned frequencies, rather only the routes and what type of service it will be (Spine / radial / orbital / local / peak).

You need to look at the frequency guide where you will see that the 80 is NOT hourly - it will be at least every 10 minutes at peak and every 15 minutes during the day.

Final network:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

Planned Frequencies:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/a3-frequency-tables-061020-fa.pdf

Unsurprisingly, W4 & W6 are now postponed to March 2023. There will now be four phases next year. Couple of other changes for 2023.

G-spine still planned for August and southern orbitals still planned for November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What are the other changes for 2023. Is the E-Spine still going out by that time or not?

The O and N2 were initially supposed to be launched this June but were postponed to June 2023 alongside the E-spine. They will now be launched a little bit earlier in April 2023. The F-Spine was supposed to be launched in January 2023 but will now be launched in April 2023 alongside the O and N2. It's too early to tell for everything after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bu the time the network review is done it'll be hopelessly out of date.

I think that is OTT.

The key aspects of the network review are the orbitals and they should all be launched by next year - I wouldn’t be so melodramatic.

We still have three phases to go this year.

But there is the simple reality here that recruiting staff to operate all of the additional services is proving to be really difficult post-Covid. The bus companies are not immune to the severe staff shortages that the tourism, transport and leisure industries are currently facing.

You can’t bury your head in the sand and ignore that issue while moaning about a slow roll out.

At the same time the delivery of the electric buses has also suffered delays which prevents the O and N2 from launching, even if staff could be hired.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Seriously, what monumental failure in planning has resulted in such a hefty delay? If this is what happens with the launch of a couple of bus routes what hope is there for the rest of the transport strategy?

Hangon, won't more buses be required for the southern orbital phase than for the W4/W6?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd expect its because you can't get staff for anything currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Oops, apologies! I spend most of my life with double vision so I often struggle with tables, good to hear anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Well late April has come and gone so it appears they're already behind on the supposed schedule for submitting these plans. However, https://belfieldblackrockscheme.ie/ has gone password protected this morning so I suspect something is in prep.

Edit: well actually, all the unadvertised links are showing a login screen now so it may not mean anything is imminent.

Post edited by xper on

Not strictly BC related and probably mentioned in here before but looks like the 46a and 155 will be going 24 hours shortly.

Ray Coyne to tell the Oireachtas Transport Committee as much tomorrow according to the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. The article is here. Ray Coyne's intentions on making the 46a & 155 to go 24 hours is at the bottom of the article.

I would have thought this was being rolled out for 2023. Is there still a lack of buses to allow these routes to run 24 hours within Dublin Bus at the minute.

Also will Ray Coyne or Anne Graham be providing an update to the committee on the progress of the network redesign rollout and the current progress of the CBC's including the new 90 minute fare system and the tender for the integrated ticketing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I would have thought that the bottleneck would have been drivers willing to work nights instead of buses, what with most of the fleet being finished for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

i would take that with a pinch of salt , especially given that those 2 routes will be gone in around 12 months. Time would be needed involving planning and consultations and in that time , time would be eating into the E-spine and O-route preparations

I wouldnt call an ambition an intention either. The main person to listen to today would be Anne Graham , she would be the one calling the shots on this not Ray Coyne.

Actually, I can see this happening, as the E spine is to replace most of the 46a and 155. It's also worth mentioning that the reason the 155 was introduced in the first place was because of its similarities to the proposed E1 route. The only question I have in my mind is if the O orbital will be made 24 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

ah yeah i know, the E1 and E2 will be 24 hours, i have no doubt.

What I'm questioning here is IF the 46A and 155 will be made 24 hours before they kick the bucket?

Advertisement