Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking voluntary photography students

• 21-03-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm looking for someone who could do some photography for an online clothing brand, Two Ton Murphy. Two Ton Murphy is centred around Irish culture and history. This would be a great opportunity for any students who would like to gain some experience and build up their portfolio. If any of you are interested pm me and I can fill you in a bit more on what we're looking for. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Aidan_92 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking for someone who could do some photography for an online clothing brand, Two Ton Murphy. Two Ton Murphy is centred around Irish culture and history. This would be a great opportunity for any students who would like to gain some experience and build up their portfolio. If any of you are interested pm me and I can fill you in a bit more on what we're looking for. Thanks!

Will there be opportunities for paid work further down the line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aidan_92

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Will there be opportunities for paid work further down the line ;)

Hi Ben,

Yes, there could be the possibility of paid work further down the line, but initially it would be more of an internship arrangement. We'd of course cover any expenses and there'd be stock on offer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GypsyBiker

I'm a second year photography student and I pay nearly over €5,000 a year in fees, on top of that my camera / computer gear is worth several thousand Euro. Why do you think I should offer my services to you for free? Do you go to your barber and ask him to cut your hair for free? Do you ask the 2nd year apprentice at the car garage to service your car for free? Do you pay your website builder?

You are selling T-shirts on line for €23 - €24 and you're offering photographers "some experience and build up their portfolio". No where on your website do I see any photographers credited......

I'll happily help you with your advertising, you can PM me for my day rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Seeking voluntary clothing brand.

Hi there,

I'm looking for someone who give some free clothes to me, Dave Kavanagh. Dave Kavanagh is centred around Irish culture and history. This would be a great opportunity for any clothing brand who would like to gain some experience and build up their portfolio. If any of you are interested pm me and I can fill you in a bit more on what we're looking for. Thanks!

Sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Same argument different day, the OP stated what the deal was, for some this might just be the experience they want. I Don't get and have never understood the arguments people put up around these requests, its not as if EVERYONE in photography hasn't done work for FREE when starting out..

If its not for you then just ignore it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

No matter what way its worded, its exploitation, and its worth highlighting. I'm giving the benefit of doubt to the original poster that they may not have realized why their request was wrong. Surely that's better then simply ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Splinters wrote: »
    No matter what way its worded, its exploitation, and its worth highlighting. I'm giving the benefit of doubt to the original poster that they may not have realized why their request was wrong. Surely that's better then simply ignoring it.

I don't get how its exploitive, unless you consider it exploitive to start with and then allow yourself to be exploited ;) I think you are simply projecting a subjective view onto something, that by your reply, doesn't interest you.

He posted it, he was very straight up about what he was after, and as I said, I have never met a photographer who hasn't done work for nothing when starting out. So in my opinion, its the call of the individual if they want to take it up..

Case in point, someone starting out wants to get into product shooting, but cant get a start, it might help their portfolio, and before anyone responds with, sure you can photography your wardrobe, let me say isn't it better to shoot something that is in fact commercial, after all, when you view a photographers portfolio, you don't ask WERE YOU PAID FOR THAT.. ;)

Someone above mentioned going to a barber, and asking for a free haircut, that has nothing to do with the post above.. nothing, as he says hes looking for a student, so take the barber starting out, he will do MANY haircuts FREE to get started, his entire TRAINING is based around FREE haircuts, bit like the student requested in the OP...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OP copied to Services Thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement