Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Birth Certs

• 05-06-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering how easy is it to get a Birth Cert for a Great GrandParent when you have no idea of his mothers details and can i get it in the local Births and Deaths office in Cork. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

artfreak wrote: »
    Just wondering how easy is it to get a Birth Cert for a Great GrandParent when you have no idea of his mothers details and can i get it in the local Births and Deaths office in Cork. Thanks in advance.

Depends on how much information you have. You won't know until you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

artfreak wrote: »

It depends on whether or not you know the exact place of birth or at least the registration district and whether the childs name is common or not.If not common then that will help narrow it down hugely.
    You won't see the address at time of birth in the indexes so if there were many births of that name and surname in the specific year then you'd have to buy photocopies for all @ 4euro each until you find the one with the correct address.
    If you're not sure of the precise year or address and the name is a common one then you're in for some digging.
    If you're not sure about the parents names or the address at time of birth or the precise year then you might consider not bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

better suited to our genealogy sub-section.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

OP,

If you have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum, I have details on how to go about it. Like Skinback said, it can be a bit hit and miss but the indexes are all online so it's worth a shot.

Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 41 artfreak

Thanks for the replies, will try that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement