Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

About 3/4 the way thru Links Awakening on the Gameboy. Furthest I've gone without getting bored and leaving it. Just on the 6th Dungeon. The temptation to use Google when stuck is hard to resist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

batari wrote: »
    About 3/4 the way thru Links Awakening on the Gameboy. Furthest I've gone without getting bored and leaving it. Just on the 6th Dungeon. The temptation to use Google when stuck is hard to resist!!

Don't do it man, if a 14 year old kid (me in the day) could clear it then you can :D

I ain't gonna lie...I've Googled :(

Only a couple of times tho..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Got Centipede and Millipede on XBLA for 200 points last week. Crazy how some these ancient games are often more fun and addictive than retail current gen' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Got the Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection at the weekend, all I can say is that it is awesome. Two player "Streets of Rage" rocks :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was playing Ms. Pac-Man today, Vectorman and now having a session of Rocket Knight Adventures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played a lot of Trials HD, forgot I had bought it, brought back lots of warm memories of watching kids on motorbikes crush their nuts while trying to get across a strip of wood over a ditch...
    70's summer holiday tv on the BBC, good times!

Had a good stab at Rocket Knight Adventures again tonight and came very close to clearing it I think. I'm up against the evil Possum who is riding in this huge robot trying to step on me and I have to quickly get over walls before he squishes me. Great game, very fond of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's one of my favourite bosses ever :) wait until you get to after that bit ;) you've two more levels to go, a really tough shooter section with a really tough boss and the final level. Also there's an extra boss and ending which is amazing if you aren't wussing out on normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's one of my favourite bosses ever :)

And he's fully clothed? Just when you think you know someone...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

Street Fighter Alpha 2, the SNES version. Keep forgetting the freezy, glitchesque, loady thingmajig (technical term that) is supposed to happen.
    Class game. Mind, to my shame, I took a bit longer than I should've to floor Dan.

That's one of my favourite bosses ever :) wait until you get to after that bit ;) you've two more levels to go, a really tough shooter section with a really tough boss and the final level. Also there's an extra boss and ending which is amazing if you aren't wussing out on normal.

Ah man, I knew that wouldn't be the end of it. I think I've been playing on Normal the whole time though, I didn't change the settings before I started, would play through again just to see the extra boss and alternate ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I think it's just an extra boss but I thought it was pretty cool. It's quite tough on hard so if you do want to wuss out then I'm sure it's on youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought Red Dead Redemptions zombie laden DLC, not mad, but in funding the purchase I had some extra credit, so I got myself Chime, and so, no Undead Nightmare for me!
    Chime is fantastic, reminding me of when I got addicted to Lumines back in the day.
    A very very nice puzzle game and with some awesome music as well, in fact the only fault is that there aren't enough, only 5, but a great 5, especially Philip Glass' Brazil in the initial level, also in there is one half of Orbital and another by Fred Deakin of Lemon Jelly.
    Well worth picking up if you haven't already!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Playing eternal darkness and loving it

Playing thru Lemmings on The Master System, just started the Mayhem rating. I hate this game...no wait, I love this game...no I f*cking HATE this game!!

Lemmings, awesome sauce, I have an animated wallpaper of them on my HTC Desire, lovely jubbly!

Lost many many hours to the Gameboy version, you haven't played it until you've played it on a little gameboy yellow/green screen, in monochrome, still great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lost many many hours to the Gameboy version, you haven't played it until you've played it on a little gameboy yellow/green screen, in monochrome, still great though!

I happen to have it on Gameboy and played it for a bit a while ago, I had forgot how frustratingly fun it was even though I kept messing up what I was trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Just about halfway through Chrono Trigger... I really dunno if it's all it was cracked up to be...!

Very, very nyeah characters.
    Story is slowly going all over the place and getting less logical.
    The, erm, battle system? It's sufficient and nothing more.

Maybe it's just because I'm playing it for the first time so late but I'm definitely left a little disappointed.

It's no The Legend of Dragoon, that's for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Your mouth is full of wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah CT is one of my top snes games, first 16 bit RPG i played the full way through aswell

It's no The Legend of Dragoon, that's for sure...

I hope to god you are just trying to rile me up because if not then that statement is full of even more fail than the sentences that proceded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Your mouth is full of wrong!

Man, A&R is the easiest place to troll, it's almost too easy!

But seriously, just not getting properly into Chrono Trigger, despite the fact I'm over halfway through.

And I just mentioned LoD to bring out a reaction in Retr0. But I do like that game. There, I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Just got my Wii back from Nintendo after fixing the dual-layer problem and I'm currently enjoying playing through Metroid Prime again on trilogy.
    Lovin it!:D

Man, A&R is the easiest place to troll, it's almost too easy!

But seriously, just not getting properly into Chrono Trigger, despite the fact I'm over halfway through.

And I just mentioned LoD to bring out a reaction in Retr0. But I do like that game. There, I said it!

So you like Legend of Dragoon and don't like Chrono Trigger. Remind me never to take recommendations off you :P

So you like Legend of Dragoon and don't like Chrono Trigger. Remind me never to take recommendations off you :P
    It's not that I don't like Chrono Trigger, it's just I don't like it as much as all the hype suggests I should like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

How can you not like it (as much as the hype suggests), it has the greatest character ever - Frog!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I love Frog! One of the most likeable Squaresoft characters ever. How they progressed from that to Vanille I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Not exactly retro but I'm playing phantom hour glass on the ds. I want to like it...but I don't think it's a patch on previous efforts. Think I'll have to power up my gameboy to play Link's Awakening again.

Advertisement