Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant Refusing To Pay Rent * MOD WARNING IN POST #1 *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

dubrov wrote: »
    It's actually the opposite. Most people will pay their home mortgage ahead of an investment property mortgage. Rates are higher to reflect the risk.
    I meant the risk is far less for the banks. If you dont pay they have no problem repossessing your investment because they are not putting you out of the family home. Anyway getting sidetracked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Are you not aware that all property is theft from the proleteriat and also that its the duty of the government to provide housing for everyone?

It’s that sort of thinking that has our country destroyed with freeloaders . Just because a person has a house to rent doesn’t make them a thief ? Some people work hard for what they have .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

1874 wrote: »
    I would not agree on that at all, if you dont pay your homes mortgage or only paid some off rather than all at the end of any month because you had to pay more into a mortgage for an investment property, due to a non paying tenant caused a shortfall in finances, then you arent likely to get your home taken off you, ie where you/your family live.
    Better to make sure an investment property mortgage is paid as they would go after that more readily and have more luck getting it off you, and just selling it up on you and you'd still owe them the balance.
    The rates are also higher on an investment mortgage, so any payment not made would be hit with even higher interest, penalties could also apply.

Both would take time, I took the option I mentioned for this reason, because of a non paying tenant.

The only reason the rates are higher for an investment mortgage is due to the higher risk for the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Jesus... reading this thread - I will NEVER rent out a property should I be in a position to do so. I will either leave it vacant or just sell it. There just seems to be NO protection for a landlord. What a screwed country we live in......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Masala wrote: »
    Jesus... reading this thread - I will NEVER rent out a property should I be in a position to do so. I will either leave it vacant or just sell it. There just seems to be NO protection for a landlord. What a screwed country we live in......

Successive ministers bringing in populist regulations that cause landlords to exit the market, driving up prices, that brings in more populist regulations and on it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Valresnick wrote: »
    You’re actually better off being a waster in Irish society. Free legal aid, free housing, free health care the whole kit and caboodle ! Suspended sentence for most crimes. A fine little island !

100%, don’t forget free 700k apartments!

Aside, out of interest, what to the REITS do in these situations when the tenant won’t pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Smouse156 wrote: »

Aside, out of interest, what to the REITS do in these situations when the tenant won’t pay?

Well, they own the asset so the yield is a bonus, but past performance is not a guide to future performance etc so there may be a bad spell. The institutional will just follow the letter of the law and go through the courts even if it takes a while, but they also go with a management company who will mitigate the risk of letting to delinquent tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Smouse156 wrote: »

I seen that, crazy prices, if you took 700k and looked in Daft under Dublin with thi s budget you would buy some seriously nice places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

emeldc wrote: »
    I think the day is coming where you won’t be allowed to evict a tenant just to sell your property. You’ll have to sell it with a sitting tenant. Which is why I’m trying to get out this year. But a six month notice period could easily become eight or ten months with lockdowns.

"Calls have been made to ban landlords who got tax breaks to buy properties from selling the homes, unless they keep tenants in place."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40208831.html?fbclid=IwAR1CGi2eZBAqoPMhaLvCrMR4hPgthoXt6UFqyyIExT0Ccdo_zd3cJcvawVw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Zamboni wrote: »
    "Calls have been made to ban landlords who got tax breaks to buy properties from selling the homes, unless they keep tenants in place."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40208831.html?fbclid=IwAR1CGi2eZBAqoPMhaLvCrMR4hPgthoXt6UFqyyIExT0Ccdo_zd3cJcvawVw

more populist BS. more interference why ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What odds it will encourage any of those landlords half thinking about getting out, to run to the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Calls seem to have been made to ban landlords simpliciter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

They've hammered the landlord the last 5 years or so and landlords are legging it.
    Sinn feins solution - hammer the landlord some more!
    What could possibly go wrong!!

Populism, as you said. Lots of people think LLs are evil and will cut off their nose to spite their face, though in fairness I suspect a lot don't realise the real impact of these regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I know a guy who was in the Revenue, the Military Police and a landlord. He got more hatred and odium from being a landlord than from any of the other occupations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

enricoh wrote: »
    They've hammered the landlord the last 5 years or so and landlords are legging it.
    Sinn feins solution - hammer the landlord some more!
    What could possibly go wrong!!

SF still insisting that it's mostly accidental LL leaving as they're out of negative equity rather than a broader exodus of LL.

So with this they're saying they want those who never wanted to be LL to be forced to remain as such. They're choice is to take a lower sell price with tenant insitu which could leaves them right back in negative equity if albe or continue to rent until prices increase fuuther to make up for it.

I'm sure many are accidental LL as they are the first to leave. Can't be many in negative equity. All of that though is irrelevant.

If people are getting out of a business at time of peak demand. Something is wrong. Its not just because they fell into it, or just paid their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Varik wrote: »
    SF still insisting that it's mostly accidental LL leaving as they're out of negative equity rather than a broader exodus of LL.

So with this they're saying they want those who never wanted to be LL to be forced to remain as such. They're choice is to take a lower sell price with tenant insitu which could leaves them right back in negative equity if albe or continue to rent until prices increase fuuther to make up for it.

Heres the article I dont agree with there policy rentals are not just for families

https://www.herald.ie/news/pressure-to-increase-on-renters-as-17000-landlords-quit-the-market-39248586.html

I disagree our anti LL lobby is feeding disfunction and reduced supply especially in more affordable and thats been replace by higher end.

To stop paying rent should be recorded on a database visible for those who pay and LL who want to rent

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Heres the article I dont agree with there policy rentals are not just for families

https://www.herald.ie/news/pressure-to-increase-on-renters-as-17000-landlords-quit-the-market-39248586.html

I disagree our anti LL lobby is feeding disfunction and reduced supply especially in more affordable and thats been replace by higher end.

To stop paying rent should be recorded on a database visible for those who pay and LL who want to rent

There was an expectation that short-term holiday rentals would be converted to long-term residential leases because of new regulations and the coronavirus crisis.

^^ from the article

Many in here said that this would happen. LLs didn't just go to Airbnb for the money, they went because it was less risky. You can't force them all back into long term rentals if they still think it's risky, some will just exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP look into carrying forward any losses. I'm not exactly sure how it works but you may be able to write some of the impending ****show off against future tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

There was an expectation that short-term holiday rentals would be converted to long-term residential leases because of new regulations and the coronavirus crisis.

I've seen multiple places convert from short term to long term rentals.

If you are a landlord who lets a place sit idle because you are afraid of the risk, you are in the wrong game. You'd be much better off selling up, buying some shares and having the easy life

I've seen multiple places convert from short term to long term rentals.

If you are a landlord who lets a place sit idle because you are afraid of the risk, you are in the wrong game. You'd be much better off selling up, buying some shares and having the easy life

They are selling up though, as was predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

The only reason the rates are higher for an investment mortgage is due to the higher risk for the banks.

Possibly, but thats not the point, the point is from an owners perspective, they are less likely to get their home taken off them than an investment property, someone else suggested otherwise.

Masala wrote: »

If this is your first insight into this, then think yourself lucky. You could get lucky with tenants, but you are only ever 1 month away from a non payment or from ever being paid again for years. So the conclusion you have come to is one that other landlords have already arrived at. If you feel you have learned from others experience then that is a good thing, because it could be a very expensive lesson. This is why landlords have and are leaving in droves. If you have money to invest, invest it elsewhere, pay off debts, education, anything really. There are potential rewards, mainly if you can afford to outright purchase a property, otherwise there is significantly less likelyhood of coming out with anything at the end of the month, a significant (hundreds of thousands) input or debt, for minimal if any reward, unless you are a sadomasochist and like pain.

They may think they are encouraging people to exit the market, scare tactics to help that?

I know a guy who was in the Revenue, the Military Police and a landlord. He got more hatred and odium from being a landlord than from any of the other occupations.

Not sure why an individual would get abuse for being in Revenue, Ive fumed at them generally but always found them helpful on the phone and never took out my ire on individuals (then again, why wouldnt someone who is putting their hand in your pocket be nice ;), but honestly, I know its necessary), but they are (unsurprisingly) one of the few state organisations that are fit for purpose. Barely saw a PA in my time, again, they have a job to do,
    OP look into carrying forward any losses. I'm not exactly sure how it works but you may be able to write some of the impending ****show off against future tax.

Id have said there wouldnt be tax to offset if you aren't receiving rent in the first place, but definitely keep your records up to date OP, maybe thats how Revenue extracts preliminary tax before you even received a penny, I had an accountant, well worth it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

OP here..

Just to give you an update. The agent has been useless in all this. As I live in the east and my brother, who part owns the house lives in the town where the house is, he visited the tenant.

Tenant said he had an expensive divorce in Poland and broadband to pay and couldn't pay rent. Brother said that wasn't his problem, money is owed to the tradesmen and they will come looking for it.

That was last Friday. I got a call from the agent saying the tenant said he was moving out this Friday. Needless to say we won't be seeing any of the €4k he owes us but we are just happy he is leaving.

The biggest issue here is that the agent told is in July he was going to be approved for HAP, we kept waiting and the agent kept saying don't worry, the process is slow due to Covid but you will get back pay. Then in Nov that agent left the company and his replacement said no HAP applied for, presumably because tenant was working.

TBH I am more pissed off with the agent than the tenant, we could have started actively seeking unpaid rent back in August were it not for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

investing in property is a no brainer if you have the right mentality .currently if you have 350k you get nothing on deposit .buy even blue chip shares and you could lose everything ,property gives you income and capital growth ,nearly always ,bar a once in a lifetime crash like 2008.The OPs travails while distressing ,over the longterm a 4k loss is nothing,house prices at times go up by that amount in 3 months.The only downside to property investment is dodgy tenants who I suspect are an exception rather than a rule.How anyone ended up with a dodgy tenant recently giving the demand is surprising.I would imagine the OP will have learnt a valuable lesson and will do well from now on.And if the worry of a dodgy tenant is overbearing them you are probably not cut out for Landlording.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

buy coca cola stock

dublin49 wrote: »
    investing in property is a no brainer if you have the right mentality .currently if you have 350k you get nothing on deposit .buy even blue chip shares and you could lose everything ,property gives you income and capital growth ,nearly always ,bar a once in a lifetime crash like 2008.The OPs travails while distressing ,over the longterm a 4k loss is nothing,house prices at times go up by that amount in 3 months.The only downside to property investment is dodgy tenants who I suspect are an exception rather than a rule.How anyone ended up with a dodgy tenant recently giving the demand is surprising.I would imagine the OP will have learnt a valuable lesson and will do well from now on.And if the worry of a dodgy tenant is overbearing them you are probably not cut out for Landlording.

While you have a point. It's a business. Don't sweat the small stuff.

The only fly in the ointment is that we don't know how rare the problem is. The stats are unreliable. The other side of it is margins are small. So while a relatively small loss isn't that bit a deal. It might nullify any income. Not much point working for free.

The counter to that is capital appreciation. But you'll get that even if you don't rent. Assuming the timing works out. People mostly look at the best case scenario with capital appreciation. But sometimes it doesn't work out.

This assumes the tenant doesn't destroy a house causing 40k of damage and lost income, instead of 4k. Also that it only happens once, or twice.

But I wouldn't lose sleep over 4k personally. You just get it rented as soon as possible, at the market rate if allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

beauf wrote: »
    While you have a point. It's a business. Don't sweat the small stuff.

The only fly in the ointment is that we don't know how rare the problem is. The stats are unreliable. The other side of it is margins are small. So while a relatively small loss isn't that bit a deal. It might nullify any income. Not much point working for free.

The counter to that is capital appreciation. But you'll get that even if you don't rent. Assuming the timing works out. People mostly look at the best case scenario with capital appreciation. But sometimes it doesn't work out.

This assumes the tenant doesn't destroy a house causing 40k of damage and lost income, instead of 4k. Also that it only happens once, or twice.

But I wouldn't lose sleep over 4k personally. You just get it rented as soon as possible, at the market rate if allowed.
    I would compare property investment to buying a Taxi Plate back in the Taxi heyday.You might make a great return but some realise too late they are not suited to their new chosen path.If you get a dodgy tenant over the course of 20 years and it costs you 10k or more that should be a minor blip to the final balance sheet on the property. I suppose you could get some details from RTB of number of disputes annually and compare that to number of private rentals to get a sense of the scale of the problem. I would imagine if you buy in a desirable area the choice of tenants would miminise risk.

Deregulation was a double whammy. Devalued massively the investment in the plate. But there was some gotcha with undeclared income at the same time. Then flood of new taxis and services and now Covid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

WhyTheFace wrote: »
    OP here..

Tenant said he had an expensive divorce in Poland and broadband to pay and couldn't pay rent. Brother said that wasn't his problem, money is owed to the tradesmen and they will come looking for it.

That was last Friday. I got a call from the agent saying the tenant said he was moving out this Friday. Needless to say we won't be seeing any of the €4k he owes us but we are just happy he is leaving.

TBH I am more pissed off with the agent than the tenant, we could have started actively seeking unpaid rent back in August were it not for them.

You were paying for an agent who is of no use to you at all regardless. I'm not sure what the benefit of having an agent is.

You'd be better off now renting out the place for AirBnB or very short term stays even at a lower rent because at least you'd actually get income. At the very least you'd be much better off making the place your primary residence and renting out all the rooms bar one kept for yourself. More tax-efficient and no hassle, especially if you are renting where you currently are yourself.

You should still pursue the tenant for the rent due via the RTB. Until landlords do this, rogue tenants will carry on, and if you choose to take a chance and rent it out again, you could get caught again as there is no comeback otherwise.

Count yourself lucky that the tenant is moving out.

Advertisement