Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olearia Traversii Cultivation

• 13-01-2021 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Has anyone grown these from seed?
    I have a large number that I use for a sort of hedge, A lot were cultivated from cuttings which had a very low success rate and the time to rood was very variable often taking months for softwood cuttings, and more often ending up with just a dead twig,.

Looking at a couple of the bushes, there were balls of what looked like extremely small dandelion puffballs.

Shaking them dropped minute dark "seeds"? A bit dust like but shaped a little like miniature caraway seeds.

Can these be propagated? I have them on a damp kitchen towel to see what happens.

I would appreciate tips on the best way to grow Oleria, I tried everything with the cuttings, heat, grow lamps, rooting hormone, but nothing really affects the success or speed of rooting.

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi.

Got a good few of these growing myself and found they propagated fairly well from cuttings. I just used the trimmings I took to reduce the height of my oldest one and made them into suitable sized pieces (10-15cm)with the lower leaves removed and put them in moist potting compost with a bit of sand at the end of the windowbox. I covered the windowbox with cellophane to keep them humid for the first few weeks and then put them in a sheltered position out doors for another few weeks and got a very high success rate. I think doing this when the weather was warmer and they were actively growing probably helped. Here is a link to a general information page on them that also has a propagation information section that says seed can be used to propagate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thank you, this is not what I was doing, so perhaps the problem is sorted.
    I was using cuttings of around six to eight cm as I was using covered partitioned seed trays to start them..
    I might have over sprayed some as they rotted, particularly when I tried adding a seed tray heater to the scheme.

Many thanks.

SK

Advertisement