Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused about what happens if want to sell first house

• 12-01-2021 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

This is my first post so apologies if this is explained in other threads, I've had a look through and couldn't find the answer.

I'm a first time buyer still looking for the right house, but confused about what happens if I sell the first house that I take out a mortgage for.

E.g. (figures are just for illustration)
    Feb 1st 2021 Buy first house for 300k
    Deposit = 30k
    Take out 30 year mortgage of 270k for fixed rate of 3 years
    Monthly repayments = €1,120.
    Cost of credit = 130k
    Total loan repayment over 35 years = 400k

Then March 2024 if I sell the house
    Monthly repayment total since took out the mortgage = 12 months x3 years = 40k
    Left on mortgage to pay = 360k
    Sell house for 325k

There is a 35k discrepancy there between what is left on the mortgage to pay back to the bank (360k) and what the house is sold for (325k) or is it that if you are looking to break even I would have to sell the house for 360k?

Appreciate anyone that has the time to take a look/explain further. Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You borrowed 270k, so what's outstanding will never be higher than that.

After 3 years of payments the balance would be roughly 250k, so if you sold for 325k you'd have 75k (excluding. selling costs etc.) to put towards your next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

I think you mixing fixed for 3 years v fixed for term of mortgage. In 2024 you move to variable rate mortgage so you repay just balance of mortgage on that date ~266k. Leaving you a balance of approx 60k to carry forward to your next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jt69er

Think the OP is confused about the cost of credit €130k, that is what credit would cost if it took 30 yrs to pay back loan. You borrowed €270k, not €400k.

The total interest isn't calculated and added on at the start - it is charged on the outstanding balance.

After three years you would owe about 252,000 on the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jack566

Thanks all, really appreciate the replies :) And yeah that's exactly it...I was thinking about this as in I'd be borrowing 400k not 270k...so that helps!

I'm still not quite understanding how this figure is being reached:

"After three years you would owe about 252,000 on the capital."

So if I've paid 40k over 3 years then this would technically just reduce the capital by about 18k because I'm paying interest each month as well as what I owe on the loan is that it? (and I know this will vary a bit based on the bank you go with it and rates etc. but just so I understand the concept!)

• Advertisement

Put the relative values into a calculator like this to see what will be outstanding over time.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Your repayment each month covers the interest bill each month, and knock a bit off the capital

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Jack566 wrote: »
    So if I've paid 40k over 3 years then this would technically just reduce the capital by about 18k because I'm paying interest each month as well as what I owe on the loan is that it? (and I know this will vary a bit based on the bank you go with it and rates etc. but just so I understand the concept!)

Yes, some of the 40k repayments covers the interest bill.

The rest of the 40k reduces the capital balance of the loan.

Advertisement