Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Light Snow - Overnight Wed/Thu 6th/7th January 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Snow timings, based on the latest airport TAFs (vaild to midday tomorrow), which have just been amended around lunchtime.

Dublin
    Light snow (1200-m vis.) from 4 - 8 am
    Chance of it continuing to 11 am

Cork
    Light snow from 5 am - 12 pm

Belfast Aldergrove
    Moderate snow (400-m vis.) from midnight - 6 am

Shannon
    Chance of light snow (1400-m vis.) from 1 - 5 am, slight chance from 6 - 11 am.

No TAF for Knock.

Donegal, Sligo (to midnight)
    Sleet

Derry Eglington (to 9 pm)
    Chance of moderate rain from 8 pm.

Is a TAF generated for Kerry Airport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s starting to cloud over here now. It’s quite high cloud. I just hope it doesn’t hold the temps up. It is 2c now.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s starting to cloud over here now. It’s quite high cloud. I just hope it doesn’t hold the temps up. It is 2c now.

Whats your dewpoint and wet bulb?
    Current wind direction?
    Is here high ground upwind of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperatures already dropping here. 0.5°

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Snow timings, based on the latest airport TAFs (vaild to midday tomorrow), which have just been amended around lunchtime.

Dublin
    Light snow (1200-m vis.) from 4 - 8 am
    Chance of it continuing to 11 am

Cork
    Light snow from 5 am - 12 pm

Belfast Aldergrove
    Moderate snow (400-m vis.) from midnight - 6 am

Shannon
    Chance of light snow (1400-m vis.) from 1 - 5 am, slight chance from 6 - 11 am.

No TAF for Knock.

Donegal, Sligo (to midnight)
    Sleet

Derry Eglington (to 9 pm)
    Chance of moderate rain from 8 pm.

EGLINTON*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

EGLINTON*

Thanks. That's the second time you've corrected me. A slip of the finger again, said the bishop to the nun...

Thanks. That's the second time you've corrected me. A slip of the finger again, said the bishop to the nun...

My local shop also can't spell it right, drives me nuts :D

Next time you'll get it haha

Is a TAF generated for Kerry Airport?

Yes, but only a 9-hour TAF. The current one runs to midnight. No precip by then.

TAF EIKY 061400Z 0615/0624 VRB03KT 9999 FEW020=

Next time you'll get it haha

*correctly :pac:

• Advertisement

Becoming quite anxious now. Had it been clear I would’ve been positive but we have a slow cloud coming in from the NW.

It’s actually city of Derry airport EGAE

Becoming quite anxious now. Had it been clear I would’ve been positive but we have a slow cloud coming in from the NW.

Relax, it's only weather.

Derry EgliNTon ;) is reporting just a few clouds now.
    METAR EGAE 061450Z VRB02KT 9999 FEW010 02/01 Q1023=

Magillgan is reporting 6 okta at 13,000 ft, though, with 0.2 hours of sunshine in the past hour.
    AAXX 06154 03907 45983 /2406 10016 20002 30225 40233 56020
    333 55302 20310 86/63
    555 7/096=

What is it with these fronts? They either come in earlier than forecasted or they have a band of cloud well ahead of them.

Magillgan is reporting 6 okta at 13,000 ft, though, with 0.2 hours of sunshine in the past hour.

No there is cloud as East as Coleraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Highest snow amounts will be across Ulster moderate falls for a time across, Donegal, Derry, Cavan, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Antrim and Sligo accumulating betweeb 2cm to 5cm possibly eastern parts of Galway and Mayo also.
    The above areas will sea a mix of sleet around the coasts.

Elsewhere amounts will be much lower 1cm to 2cm but parts of Munster, much of Leinster southern and western Connacht will see very little or nothing at all.

I'd imagine looking at the charts that my location is east kerry/north cork. 150 m asl should also see some snow. We usually do here. I'd expect 2-3 cms . Hopefully.

It’s actually city of Derry airport EGAE

Met Éireann call it
    (CITY OF DERRY AIRPORT/ EGLINTON)

but I ain't typing out all that

Completely cloudy over here in Eglinton now. Have watched the bank of cloud slowly move in all day from the west. Looking east can see clear blue skies.

Got the car ready for a winter (hopefully snowy) camping tonight on Benevenagh.

What is it with these fronts? They either come in earlier than forecasted or they have a band of cloud well ahead of them.

There's a dissipating upper warm front ahead of this surface cold front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

anim_ir.gif

In terms of cloud cover for most of us in the midlands and east it should be fine as surface air temperatures will fall quickly after dark before the main outer cloud deck arrives anyway. I don't have any concerns there really.

My only issue is the extent and rate of precipitation.

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Whats your dewpoint and wet bulb?
    Current wind direction?
    Is here high ground upwind of you?

Air temperature is 2.1c
    Dew point is 0.0c
    Wet bulb is 0.5c

We will have to rely on cooling or evaporative cooling. I am not sure if the temperature will drop further.

The wind is south easterly, calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'd imagine looking at the charts that my location is east kerry/north cork. 150 m asl should also see some snow. We usually do here. I'd expect 2-3 cms . Hopefully.

Looking at the high resolution models I think Kerry and West Cork might do better than a lot of places further north. This front's track takes it to them via a mostly sea track so less precipitation is lost. An element of that too for Cork city (but a dusting at best still realistically). At a bit of a loss though to understand why the Cork Airport TAF is better than Shannon's....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking at the high resolution models I think Kerry and West Cork might do better than a lot of places further north. This front's track takes it to them via a mostly sea track so less precipitation is lost. An element of that too for Cork city (but a dusting at best still realistically). At a bit of a loss though to understand why the Cork Airport TAF is better than Shannon's....

Look at Met Éireann twitter update. Shows front maintaining all the way to Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sky split in two here. Solid clear the east, various levels of high cloud to the west and coming in from there. Whether this falls as wet sleet or freezing rain as the front passes through during the wee hours, it'll make for a very messy and potentially treacherous tomorrow morning out on the roads.

New Moon

Cork's altitude and the fact that Shannon is further west, in the semi-warm sector, and at sea level along an estuary.

Air temperature is 2.1c
    Dew point is 0.0c
    Wet bulb is 0.5c

We will have to rely on cooling or evaporative cooling. I am not sure if the temperature will drop further.

The wind is south easterly, calm.
    Temp will drop another half degree all things considered at darkness
    I'd say you'll be ok but its tight because even with a southwesterly, the air source is still the Atlantic and needs to travel over land that might not be cold enough

My hunch is if it stays that direction possibly coming through cold west Tyrone, it will be,we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork's altitude and the fact that Shannon is further west, in the semi-warm sector, and at sea level along an estuary.

And that too! I think rebel didn’t think front would give much precipitation in Cork

UKMO Updates

Belfast Aldergrove
    Freezing Precipitation
    Issued at: Wed 06 Jan 2021 - 14:28 UTC
    Valid from: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    Valid to: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 02:00 UTC

RAIN MAY FREEZE ON CONTACT WITH PARKED AIRCRAFT, RUNWAYS AND TAXIWAYS. CLEAR ICE MAY FORM CAUSING HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.

Snow
    Issued at: Wed 06 Jan 2021 - 14:28 UTC
    Valid from: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 00:00 UTC
    Valid to: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 06:00 UTC

SNOW IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD.SLIGHT TO MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 1-2CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY MAY FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 500M.

Derry/Londonderry/Eglinton/EGAE/Wee airport up north, like
    Snow
    Issued at: Wed 06 Jan 2021 - 11:32 UTC
    Valid from: Wed 06 Jan 2021 - 21:00 UTC
    Valid to: Thu 07 Jan 2021 - 00:00 UTC

SLIGHT RAIN AND SNOW MAY OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

Cork Airport warning: light snow, 1-3 cm forecast, from 5 am to midday.
    EICK AD WRNG 02 VALID 070500/071200 SNOW FBL 1 to 3 CM FCST=

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Temp will drop another half degree all things considered at darkness
    I'd say you'll be ok but its tight because even with a southwesterly, the air source is still the Atlantic and needs to travel over land that might not be cold enough

My hunch is if it stays that direction possibly coming through cold west Tyrone, it will be,we'll see

The charts seem to forecast it falling below 0c here, but I am not convinced. It is falling very slowly.

The only saving grace would be evaporative cooling.

Advertisement