Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homebridge on Raspberry Pi?

Options
  • 02-01-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I’m just getting into home automation. I generally use Apple devices along with Homepods to control smart plugs etc. I want to be able to use a wider range of smart devices using Apples Home app and I’ve heard Homebridge is the way forward. I don’t have a home computer in my house so I was planning on buying a Raspberry Pi to run Homebridge.

I have zero experience with Raspberry Pi, has anyone here ever done this here?
    Where should I buy the Pi in Ireland?
    Does anyone know of any good guides available for installing Homebridge on Pi?

Any and all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i use home assistant on pi4. i had sd card but now moved to ssd with pi4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

i use home assistant on pi4. i had sd card but now moved to ssd with pi4

Where did you buy your Pi? In Ireland I’m assuming? Looking at Amazon for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Amazon sell all the Pi kits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Where did you buy your Pi? In Ireland I’m assuming? Looking at Amazon for one.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

cpc farnwell, pihut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I found the RPi struggling under the load of HA but I think it was an RPi3 I was using. Newer ones might be better. I ended up running it as a Docker image on a media PC I was already using

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

xckjoo wrote: »
    I found the RPi struggling under the load of HA but I think it was an RPi3 I was using. Newer ones might be better. I ended up running it as a Docker image on a media PC I was already using

I used HA on an RPi3 aswell and it was sluggish.

What's the new one like with it?

xckjoo wrote: »

Apparently Homesbridge runs very easily even on a Pi zero. I’ve little to no experience but I’ve been reading guides etc. Do you just leave the Pi beside your router wired to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

I have it running at home for over 1 year and (almost) everything automated through homebridge. Installation is pretty straight forward following this https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Raspbian and (if you are not very tech savvy) GUI interface is intuitive enough to configure all plugins via browser.

I've got Alexa, Tuya, Wemo, Synology and some other stuff connected there that shows up very nicely in my home app on the phone. Only missing a good Aqara integration but hopefully will come up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im running homebridge on a rpi and it works well (running pihole on the same device)

whats the advantage of Home assistant?

Just as an update on this. I got a Pi a few days back and have Homebridge running on it. Fantastic little set up. I only have my two TVs integrated so far but have to tweak the setting for the remote app in iOS.

What’s the best way to determine is a device is applicable with homebridge before buying? What are the things to look out for? Just search for a plug-in before purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

Just as an update on this. I got a Pi a few days back and have Homebridge running on it. Fantastic little set up. I only have my two TVs integrated so far but have to tweak the setting for the remote app in iOS.

What’s the best way to determine is a device is applicable with homebridge before buying? What are the things to look out for? Just search for a plug-in before purchase?

Yeah, I would look for a plugin in homebridge to see if it's compatible. If the product says homekit compatible you don't even need the bridge but most "smart" devices have some sort of API or cloud integration that someone has turned into a plugin for homebridge.

Advertisement