Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bookies Reopening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

chancer007 wrote: »
    father is nearly 80, dont live close to him either...would mean printing them off, driving over an hour..wouldnt dream of taking money off him..he prefers to study the form, write his own bets..like a ritual at this stage..he'll have to wait a few more months..

So you'd prefer that at his age and in the current covid situation he should be going into the bookies to place his bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

So you'd prefer that at his age and in the current covid situation he should be going into the bookies to place his bets.

absolutely..writes bets at home...walks to counter with his bets wearing a mask,and out again..no difference to him walking into a shop with his lotto slip
    am sure the penny will drop with you soon

absolutely..writes bets at home...walks to counter with his bets wearing a mask,and out again..no difference to him walking into a shop with his lotto slip

Fair enough, he's your old man.
    I know I'd prefer to take his bets over the phone and place them for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

But that's not how a lot of people use bookies, especially around festivals. They leave it until the last minute to place a bet, they hang around to look at the race and then have a moan afterwards. They might hang around all day and in the mean time people would be standing outside waiting to get in.

Bookies aren't like shops where people just go in do their shopping and then leave. Also, you can control shops entry to shops where people would rarely be in a rush to buy bread and milk but there'll always be some lads that have left it until the last second to get a bet on. Could you imagine the traffic light system they have in Aldi being used in a bookies? It'd be ignored.

^^^

Am pretty sure that those "last minute / hanging around" punters would be happy to come in for 10-15 mins / half an hour say, from between ten to twelve thirty on the day to get their bets on; having being pretty much starved of a punt for the last several months, in knowing that they can probably watch all the racing on ITV. Am sure that the majority of them/us would be happy with such a setup, and are not so set in their ways that they can't set foot in a shop unless they're guaranteed to be there for 2-4hrs; in these "unprecedented" times..

• Advertisement

^^^

Am pretty sure that those "last minute / hanging around" punters would be happy to come in for 10-15 mins / half an hour say, from between ten to twelve thirty on the day to get their bets on; having being pretty much starved of a punt for the last several months, in knowing that they can probably watch all the racing on ITV. Am sure that the majority of them/us would be happy with such a setup, and are not so set in their ways that they can't set foot in a shop unless they're guaranteed to be there for 2-4hrs; in these "unprecedented" times..

You should get on to Joe Duffy about it.

Thought you liked a punt dan... Why are you so "Pro Lockdown"..?? Guess you're alright, cos you've got betting accounts, and think that the Government is looking after our best interests :pac: 7 or 8 punters in a shop at a time is hardly gonna bring about a major increase in cases FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I've got the C week off work so might do a few essential trips upnorth but I much rather be in the Box and with my lazy streak I'll probably just end up on the couch

^^^

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say for sure. Anecdotally I know that the last time they were allowed to open the shops that my friend manages had an issue with people staying in and it causing problems for the staff. The pubs that they would normally have gone to to watch the races were all shut.

The bookies and the RP (who've been gouging their customers for years - last time I bought it was around Christmas, and it was €4.20 then :mad: ) should collaborate, and maybe each shop could print out the twenty or so pages that are relevant to Cheltenham - the Front page, the few pages towards the front that give the trainers' views, the racecard and form, and also that "signpost" (always look at that one) page, and hand them out to customers in the morning. It would be a nice gesture, and that way the punter/s could study the form (many probably aren't even online, or if they are, maybe don't know about 'Racing Sites'.. )

So, if the punter had access to just the Cheltenham form s/he could come back an hour or two later to get their bets on... They could also bet on anything else, if they so wished, but it would be a nice gesture to at least let them/us have the form for the "Greatest 4 days racing on earth"... :D

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an "eleventh hour" declaration from Micheal, or Leo stating there will be a temporary moraturium on the enforced betting shop closures; with certain restrictions still in place, granted. All for the 'brownie points' they'd get from the small amount of solace the punter would get from being able to indulge in his/her hobby...

• Advertisement

The bookies and the RP (who've been gouging their customers for years - last time I bought it was around Christmas, and it was €4.20 then :mad: ) should collaborate, and maybe each shop could print out the twenty or so pages that are relevant to Cheltenham - the Front page, the few pages towards the front that give the trainers' views, the racecard and form, and also that "signpost" (always look at that one) page, and hand them out to customers in the morning. It would be a nice gesture, and that way the punter/s could study the form (many probably aren't even online, or if they are, maybe don't know about 'Racing Sites'.. )

So, if the punter had access to just the Cheltenham form s/he could come back an hour or two later to get their bets on... They could also bet on anything else, if they so wished, but it would be a nice gesture to at least let them/us have the form for the "Greatest 4 days racing on earth"... :D

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an "eleventh hour" declaration from Micheal, or Leo stating there will be a temporary moraturium on the enforced betting shop closures; with certain restrictions still in place, granted. All for the 'brownie points' they'd get from the small amount of solace the punter would get from being able to indulge in his/her hobby...

Considering the outcry that followed last years gathering at Cheltenham I doubt very much if Michael or any politician for that matter will call for the bookies to open any time soon.

SteM wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say for sure. Anecdotally I know that the last time they were allowed to open the shops that my friend manages had an issue with people staying in and it causing problems for the staff. The pubs that they would normally have gone to to watch the races were all shut.

I can guess who/what calibre of person was causing the staff problems.. I doubt it was Mick or Paddy who are retired / part time farmers, or Tom or John in on their day off from work.

Say, it was acceptable at the time to be allowed to stay in for half an hour, and the aforementioned Mick, Paddy, John, and Tom were already in there for half an hour; I don't think them fellas would have much of a problem if the clerk/manager said - "Right lads, another fifteen minutes and you'll have to leave.. I don't like these rules either, but shur what are we to do?"

I can only guess who was causing the cashiers/managers the most problems when it came to "overstaying" , and refusing to leave after an acceptable/allowable timeframe , but can't really say so here..

I can guess who/what calibre of person was causing the staff problems.. I doubt it was Mick or Paddy who are retired / part time farmers, or Tom or John in on their day off from work.

Say, it was acceptable at the time to be allowed to stay in for half an hour, and the aforementioned Mick, Paddy, John, and Tom were already in there for half an hour; I don't think them fellas would have much of a problem if the clerk/manager said - "Right lads, another fifteen minutes and you'll have to leave.. I don't like these rules either, but shur what are we to do?"

I can only guess who was causing the cashiers/managers the most problems when it came to "overstaying" , and refusing to leave after an acceptable/allowable timeframe , but can't really say so here..

Well there are no farms near the shops he manages so.....

Just as an aside.
    I hear stories of bookies closing online accounts if the punter is doing well.
    Are you better off letting the winnings build up and then withdraw or withdraw small amounts as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

? Online specials are always better than shop 'specials'.

Not in my experience.
    However would also depend on which bookie you are talking about.

Ladbrokes do a little colour booklet (I'd guess at a big cost) which includes the same Cheltenham information and also a form guide for all the football matches on that night.
    PP and Boyles do a printed handout with the form details for each race each day taken from the Racing Post, PP have form guides on the walls in digital form with a light behind to make it easier to read for punters.
    There's no way the staff could print out one of those if each one was 20+ pages, the cost and the time taken to put them together would make it way too expensive.

SteM wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say for sure. Anecdotally I know that the last time they were allowed to open the shops that my friend manages had an issue with people staying in and it causing problems for the staff.

During the last lockdown, there were loads of occasions where staff would just use the buzzer to let people in/out when the shop limit was reached.
    Was a pain for people waiting to get in to have a bet with people in there playing roulette.
    The pubs that they would normally have gone to to watch the races were all shut.
    That problem is going to remain as pubs will be last to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Something like an ATM Terminal were you just walk up, put your money in and then put your bet on. You could collect there as well,

They have those inside the shops already, but i imagine several hundred sets of grubby punters hands touching the same screen and machine probably wouldnt pass muster, but you never know. i also think some old codger trying to line up a 10c superheinz and spending 20 minutes at the machine would be infuriating!!

They have those inside the shops already, but i imagine several hundred sets of grubby punters hands touching the same screen and machine probably wouldnt pass muster, but you never know. i also think some old codger trying to line up a 10c superheinz and spending 20 minutes at the machine would be infuriating!!

Not very user-friendly them self-service terminals (or whatever they're called) in the bookies. I tried them once or twice, but gave up, as I couldn't figure the blasted things out.. I rarely ever seen any old codgers use them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭madmax72

Why can't the bookies just accept bets while controlling numbers and no live racing on the screens.That would stop the crowds during the big meetings.Itv are showing 6 live races a day for Cheltenham

• Advertisement

Just as an aside.
    Are you better off letting the winnings build up and then withdraw or withdraw small amounts as you go along.

?

?

You wondering why you're talking to yourself Dan? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

madmax72 wrote: »
    Why can't the bookies just accept bets while controlling numbers and no live racing on the screens.That would stop the crowds during the big meetings.Itv are showing 6 live races a day for Cheltenham
    Because it isnt seen as necessary to keep them open. It wouldnt stop people staying around the bookies and congegating though.
    Just as an aside.

There's loads of stories of bookies closing or restricting accounts if punter is doing very well. Very much up to you if you want to let winnings build up

You wondering why you're talking to yourself Dan? :D

But seriously, what kind of money are we talking about before they get iffy about your account. A fella was telling me that it's not how much you are winning but the percentage you win. Or are you better off wagering small amounts at a time.

But seriously, what kind of money are we talking about before they get iffy about your account. A fella was telling me that it's not how much you are winning but the percentage you win. Or are you better off wagering small amounts at a time.

It depends on a lot of things.
    Different bookies have different views of winning punters and also will depend on what ways you are making money off them.
    If you are making money from betting on virtual races, lotteries, roulette or slots, you should be fine as the bookie will know they will get the money back over time.
    If it's horse racing, greyhounds or sports, it's a different view especially if you are backing horses at prices that are better than SP's.
    Some will close near enough immediately, some will restrict you or some will let you have your bets for a while so they can see what you are backing and they can then take the relevant action.
    Percentages return is one way they would look at it.
    Smaller stakes should see you last a bit longer with most bookies.
    I've had accounts closed after 4 winning bets on Grade A sports and I've had accounts for years with other bookies doing the same bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

okidoki987 wrote: »
    It depends on a lot of things.
    Different bookies have different views of winning punters and also will depend on what ways you are making money off them.
    If you are making money from betting on virtual races, lotteries, roulette or slots, you should be fine as the bookie will know they will get the money back over time.
    If it's horse racing, greyhounds or sports, it's a different view especially if you are backing horses at prices that are better than SP's.
    Some will close near enough immediately, some will restrict you or some will let you have your bets for a while so they can see what you are backing and they can then take the relevant action.
    Percentages return is one way they would look at it.
    Smaller stakes should see you last a bit longer with most bookies.
    I've had accounts closed after 4 winning bets on Grade A sports and I've had accounts for years with other bookies doing the same bets.

I think the SP point is important if a horse racing gambler. Someone sticking a very good run together for small to moderate stakes on a mix of racing probably won’t be limited down too quickly. Someone showing a clear trend of knowledge on some aspect of racing, all weather, Irish maidens and bumpers, NH UK handicaps, or else someone who gets in early on market moves beating SP frequently on winning picks won’t last long at all.

someone who gets in early on market moves beating SP frequently on winning picks won’t last long at all.

Very true, it's probably the biggest alert for a bookie to close an account.
    Not very user-friendly them self-service terminals (or whatever they're called) in the bookies.

Close enough.
    They are Self Service Betting Terminals or SSBT for short.
    In the UK, their machines are called FOBT's, Fixed Odds Betting Terminals as
    they have different content to ROI with roulette, slots and others available.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If UK bookies open (including NI) around early March and ROI bookies don't,I know a professional punter who is talking about moving up North until they reopen down here.

Heard about a few professional punters are looking at taking an AirBnB in Belfast for Cheltenham week and getting their bets on if the bookies are open up there.
    There seems to be a lot of different firms in Belfast including Boyles, Ladbrokes, Paddy Power, Grahams, McCleans and Toals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Not much use inside the shops right now. You would literally need a hole in the wall ATM. As for touching a key pad bare handed, you would be better off sticking your Mickey in a wasps nest.

• Advertisement

Not much use inside the shops right now. You would literally need a hole in the wall ATM. As for touching a key pad bare handed, you would be better off sticking your Mickey in a wasps nest.

Are you speaking from experience?

Advertisement