Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

• 28-03-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Thread for questions you feel are not worthy of their own thread. If any good topics arise maybe the mods will split them off for their own thread

I'll get it started, some questions are likely pretty dumb so be kind please!

Do you count the weight of a hex bar when deadlifting? a quick google says 25kg, roll with that? IT doesn't matter really, just nice to know when noting in diary

I'm a creature of habit, I love doing the same exercises pretty much all the time with a few extra bits thrown in when I've time. They are squat, pull up, DL/RDL, push ups. Do you think i'm missing out on anything badly? I'm going to add calves as I need it for running health

Would lowering reps & sets while upping weight be a simple form of periodization for the hobby gym goer. EG: do 5 x 5 for a few weeks, then 5 x 4, 5 x 3, upping the weight as you go along but certainly when you drop a set. Did I just make that up? OR maybe 3 x 10, progressing to 3 x 5 over 3 months

Does anyone else watch those movement/mobility trainers on Instagram and wish they were a mobility ninja like them? It certainly seems like something that would be great for long term health, my dad is quite stiff looking in his 70s. I feel at some point it should probably become a priority over how much i can lift or how fast i can run...

Anyone else got a question, bang it in here :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Yeah you count the weight of the bar in your numbers

I would include some forms of rows (bent over, t-bar etc), more pressing (some form of bench press and an overhead press) and lunges

Nothing wrong with increasing the weights how you suggested, could run a 5x5, 5x4, 5x3 and upping the weights as you go then cycle back around with 5x5 starting with a heavier weight. However if you are relatively new to the gym/ dont go that often working with relatively low volume/ high intensity of sets of 3 might not be optimal for you, but depends on your goals.

Happy to say i dont use instagram but i think nearly everyone would like to be more mobile, must be good for you in the long run. I know personally my mobility is awful but i just hate working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Do you count the weight of a hex bar when deadlifting? a quick google says 25kg, roll with that? IT doesn't matter really, just nice to know when noting in diary

Yup. I ran with 25kg as well but turned out it was 32kg. But its only an accessory so the progression is the most relevant number.
    IvoryTower wrote:
    I'm a creature of habit, I love doing the same exercises pretty much all the time with a few extra bits thrown in when I've time. They are squat, pull up, DL/RDL, push ups. Do you think i'm missing out on anything badly? I'm going to add calves as I need it for running health

Single leg work as well. I've found it beneficial in addressing imbalances. My training usually revolves around compound + variation + isolation. Tempo work as well both for increased time under tension and to work on positioning.
    IvoryTower wrote:
    Would lowering reps & sets while upping weight be a simple form of periodization for the hobby gym goer. EG: do 5 x 5 for a few weeks, then 5 x 4, 5 x 3, upping the weight as you go along but certainly when you drop a set. Did I just make that up? OR maybe 3 x 10, progressing to 3 x 5 over 3 months

There are different ways to progress and some of those are framed by goals. But unless you're training for powerlifting, you won't really need to go below 3-5 reps until testing, if testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Great stuff lads, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Anyone do Palov presses? I feel them almost in my hips when im doing them so im guessing im doing something wrong on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you count the weight of a hex bar when deadlifting?

I'd only be concerned about the weight of a speciality bar if I was using different ones each time, i.e. training in different gyms, but I don't. I *think* the SSB bar in mine is around 20kg, I *think* the EZ curl bar is 10kg and I *think* the farmers handles are 10kg each. I've never really checked for sure but as long as I track them consistently from week to week, I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

yes all the time, watch this, tuck pelvis under first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-GvRVC8Nk&t=2s

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Hey all need some advice. I am preparing for something due to begin the second week of May, it requires a good level of all round fitness and not just for fun but actually work related. Long and short I am quite a fit guy but most of the things I do are not really structured. I do my own running usually 10km 2-3 times a week, as well as strength and conditioning classes. This year I got my first program focusing mainly on lower body stuff.

I now have one month without any other commitments to focus on fitness and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions re programs to look at that might maximise gains and fitness capacity. I would like something all round but if I was to focus then it would be cardio and and strengthening the legs.

Very general question but trying to make sure I don't wast the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Townton wrote: »
    Hey all need some advice. I am preparing for something due to begin the second week of May, it requires a good level of all round fitness and not just for fun but actually work related. Long and short I am quite a fit guy but most of the things I do are not really structured. I do my own running usually 10km 2-3 times a week, as well as strength and conditioning classes. This year I got my first program focusing mainly on lower body stuff.

I now have one month without any other commitments to focus on fitness and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions re programs to look at that might maximise gains and fitness capacity. I would like something all round but if I was to focus then it would be cardio and and strengthening the legs.

Very general question but trying to make sure I don't wast the next month or so.

531 Building the Monolith is a six week programmer with a lot of squatting and conditioning. It is designed around building mass (of course you don’t actually have to) so that may be against your goals.

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101078918-building-the-monolith-5-3-1-for-size
    There’s spreadsheets available as well if you google it.

If you look at the free programmes on Brian Alsruhe’s YouTube channel they have a load of conditioning, particularly 4Horsemen, and will work your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Transform wrote: »
    yes all the time, watch this, tuck pelvis under first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-GvRVC8Nk&t=2s
    Cheers for that video - I've only been doing them standing and starting to get bored with them as I do them pretty much every session so nice to put some variation into them.

Does anybody have any other go-to resistance band exercises? Would tend to do Pallof press, over and backs (shoulder flossing), banded pull aparts, kneeling face pull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Where would I get two bolts that thread into the ends of an Olympic bar? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ Cadence Uninterested Slugger

I'm pretty new to trying to keep fit so sorry if this is a silly question.

I feel a bit of a pinch in my lower back if I do push ups or try to plank, is this normal when starting out or is my form likely incorrect?

I'm pretty new to trying to keep fit so sorry if this is a silly question.

I feel a bit of a pinch in my lower back if I do push ups or try to plank, is this normal when starting out or is my form likely incorrect?

You're probably letting your hips sag.

Try bracing your stomach muscles and squeeze your árse muscles hard and that should help.

Elbows while squatting

My right elbow comes forward when im squatting, i cant seem to control that. Any ideas? Should they come forward? or both staying back and tight? It's not a big deal, just a bit annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Are you training for physique or strenght?

Strength

Strength

Okay, thanks for responding.

I think for anyone starting off on the road of strength there are certain points of importance

Theres a host of info online, as someone who started off 22 years ago focusing on strength i would highly recommend mark rippetoes 'starting strength' as an appropriate starting point.
    It focuses on primary lifts (compounds) and progression / progressive overload.

Fornme the biggest game changer was routine ie sticking to a set pattern of days and not missing them, i missed nights out and trainned whilst on holiday, never let myself have an excuse.

If you chose to follow the starting strength routine then follow it to a T, do not start adding in accessory exercises as these will only interfere with muscular adaptation in the strength context.

Another important factor in strength gain is diet, please do not attempt to 'get ripped' or lose weight when on a strength training routine.
    This will severely limit your ability to train hard each session. You need to eat in a caloric surplus to make decent progression. Thats is the.reality. The only way someone would increase their strength whilst dropping body weight would be to run a steroid like tren and i would highly advise you never consider this.

Also important to note, the results on the day of training are not the results. What you do each session should be seen as part of the progression to yoir end goal. Not getting pumped or sore does not mean you are not gaining strength. You are not training to be a bodybuilder but trust me if you donstick yo a routine and progress well you'll be very surprised.

Give starting strength a try for few months, be patient with it. Youve nothing to lose

Elbows while squatting

My right elbow comes forward when im squatting, i cant seem to control that. Any ideas? Should they come forward? or both staying back and tight? It's not a big deal, just a bit annoying

Try contracting your lats a bit harder as though you're pulling your elbows into your sides. They should really stay in place throughout the movement.

Try contracting your lats a bit harder as though you're pulling your elbows into your sides. They should really stay in place throughout the movement.

Agreed, you need to flex your lats to keep your upper back in the correct position as this will have a negative effect on hip flexion at the bottom of the movement

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rowanh

1 - I use a 32kg hex bar for deadlifting and count it as 20kg because its easier to change weights with my training partner and I find the mechanical advantage it gives actually makes it feel similar or lighter to a straight bar with the same weights.

2/3 - I would suggest following a program with clear progression rather than making it up yourself. You can if you want it just may not work very well if you do not really understand how to program. Something like 5x5 strong lifts or Starting strength would be worth checking out.

4/ You could try doing some yoga, it can help with a few things when doing strength training.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Elbows while squatting

I'm pretending to squat in my chair here.

1. Get under the bar and grip it.

2. Shoulder blades back and down, this will give you a tight upper back. Squeeze them back and down ro create a shelf for the bar

3. Unrack the bar. Form arms should be perpendicular to the floor at this point.

4. Squat

When does the elbow shoot forward? If your upper back is tight enough it shouldn't be able to come forward. If you start with forearms at 90 degrees to the ground and a tight upper back then your elbows can only go back. Which you don't want.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Soon as I go down it comes forward and goes back into position when I go back up. Will try the tips tomorrow see if it helps

Soon as I go down it comes forward and goes back into position when I go back up. Will try the tips tomorrow see if it helps

Sounds like it was too far back to start off with.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That was my thinking, that you were starting with elbows back and high, and "going forward"'was then moving into a stronger position to drive.

It went pretty well this morning,barely moved, need more practice at it though, have to think about it too much at the moment so its taking away from the overall lift. Might just drop the weight a bit next time and practice it

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hey any advice for one knee slightly turning in during the back squat?

Also my shoulders slightly round during deadlift but my back is flat.. Is this really bad?

Thanks!

Acey10 wrote: »

Also my shoulders slightly round during deadlift but my back is flat.. Is this really bad?

Thanks!

Work on glute strength to start. Also, be more proactive about screwing your feet into the ground outwards as a cue to externally rotate your hips. Squatting with mini band around your legs just above/below knees can help reinforce it.

It went pretty well this morning,barely moved, need more practice at it though, have to think about it too much at the moment so its taking away from the overall lift. Might just drop the weight a bit next time and practice it

Do you warm up your squat starting with an empty bar? Or do you throw weight on from the start?

Much easier to embed the correct form with a light weight.

I was borderline OCD about my squat warm ups when I lifted heavy. I put as much concentration into the 10 reps with the empty bar as I did with the 200kg + single at the end.

What's your top set now?

they/them/theirs

Acey10 wrote: »

Thanks!

What Alf said about the squats. But also, are you squatting too narrow?

For the shoulders: every deadlift or when your are going close to your 1rm?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Do you warm up your squat starting with an empty bar? Or do you throw weight on from the start?

Much easier to embed the correct form with a light weight.

I was borderline OCD about my squat warm ups when I lifted heavy. I put as much concentration into the 10 reps with the empty bar as I did with the 200kg + single at the end.

What's your top set now?

I warm up for ages for my overall work out but not specifically for my squat. I'm a runner first and foremost so only squatting 65kg at the moment, I'd say the highest I ever squatted with full depth is only about 80ish. I'm just building back up to that. I'll do an empty bar and light set beforehand, as the weight has been light I haven't really felt the need to. Getting tougher now though

Edit: that's 65kg in every set no build up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I warm up for ages for my overall work out but not specifically for my squat. I'm a runner first and foremost so only squatting 65kg at the moment, I'd say the highest I ever squatted with full depth is only about 80ish. I'm just building back up to that. I'll do an empty bar and light set beforehand, as the weight has been light I haven't really felt the need to. Getting tougher now though

Edit: that's 65kg in every set no build up

I am a bit paranoid about my warm ups for squats. Possibly overdo it even. Would be interested to hear from others on that front!

I would be lifting the same as yourself or close enough (1RM is 100 so typically working around the 70-85kg mark) I would usually do

No bar:
    10 wide stance, 5 tempo
    10 medium stance - 5 tempo
    10 narrow stance
    Glute bridges x10, frog pumps x 10, glute bridges single leg amrap, glute kickbacks x 10

Bar x8 - usually do these at a very slow eccentric tempo and pause at the bottom and explode up
    40 x8
    50 x5
    60 x5
    70 x3

Working sets

Advertisement