Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Mavic Air

• 07-08-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hello,
    If it's okay with the mods, I would like to start this thread to post all things related to the Mavic Air ( there are a few differences between it and the Pro, so perhaps best it have it's own thread ).

Guess I will introduce myself, first time DJI owner, got my Air and loving it, so easy to control and I have confidence in it not getting away from me. I am still getting to grips with editing movies but I don't have a very good PC. I usually take lower res small videos unedited and stills in RAW.
    Personally I found the DJI manual to very lacking - I was fully set up to read a proper document with all the ins and outs, but instead it's just there to get you in the air as fast as possible, thankfully online/youtube has taught me a lot. Seagulls are a bloody curse, it's like a magnet to them.

How are other people flying? Are we all obeying the rules? Anyone paying the €1500 for the training? Range records ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murflad

Getting my mavic air combo package on Friday. 1049euro in Harvey Norman. Went with the flame red.

Does it come with video editing software? if not, any recommendations?

I see that the Air uses Wifi for controls. I wonder is it limited to how high/far it can fly etc. Are the rules auto in forced when using the drone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭jogdish

Murflad wrote: »
    Getting my mavic air combo package on Friday. 1049euro in Harvey Norman. Went with the flame red.

I see that the Air uses Wifi for controls. I wonder is it limited to how high/far it can fly etc. Are the rules auto in forced when using the drone?

Flame red here too! good choice.

Comes with no software, I have been using KDEnlive (its a linux thing), the mac movie editor ( dont think it can color grade ), tried DaVinci resolve - my poor PC gave up. Depends on the res you record in as to how much power you will need. PhotoscapeX is good for RAW stills.

The Air uses enhanced wifi - some marketing term, eh without saying something I perhaps should not :) it goes plenty far for me, google FCC hack fo mavic Air and never ever try it :) In saying that, I think having some fun in an open field not annoying anyone is fine, just stay away from buzzing over cities - although plenty examples on youtube of people using mavic pros over limerick/cork/dublin/galway - which I am almost certain is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Really depends on what sort of system you have. If its slow then video editing will nothing but total frustration and waiting unfortunatly.

Try HitFilm Express, the sign up process is a bit laborious but you just have to sign up once and you're away.

It also has basic colour grading options which alot of the free editing programs do not.

If you're mister/misses money bucks then go for Premiere Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Murflad

Thanks guys...HitFilm Express looks ok to use judjing by youtube. Was hoping DJI would have its own video editing software...anyways, are there regular firmware updates for the mavic air? or has it settled now that it has been released a few months.

Thanks guys...HitFilm Express looks ok to use judjing by youtube. Was hoping DJI would have its own video editing software...anyways, are there regular firmware updates for the mavic air? or has it settled now that it has been released a few months.
    Apart from the day I got it, have not had to update yet. One thing I should mention that is not made that clear, to update the mavic itself, you need the DJI program on your PC and the mavic plugged into the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jogdish wrote: »
    Apart from the day I got it, have not had to update yet. One thing I should mention that is not made that clear, to update the mavic itself, you need the DJI program on your PC and the mavic plugged into the PC.

The Mavic can be updated using DJI Go app on your phone. A PC or Mac isn't required.

theothernt wrote: »
    The Mavic can be updated using DJI Go app on your phone. A PC or Mac isn't required.
    oh thanks for that, did not know.

oh thanks for that, did not know.

I was just reading your initial post - what resolution do you shoot video in, and why RAW for stills? do you use auto camera settings?

theothernt wrote: »
    I was just reading your initial post - what resolution do you shoot video in, and why RAW for stills? do you use auto camera settings?

Still playing around, so here is my thoughts:
    4k the cleanest video - but huge and basically not possible to edit for me.
    2k - clean and just about editable.
    1080 60fps, tried lower fps but looks awful when moving at any speed, but 1080 is a little more grainy looking to me.

I tried the 120 fps option too, cool, but detail was not there. Basically once I seen the 1080+ res it's hard to go back.

I prefer the stills in RAW since allows me to change the white balance, exposure in post, have gotten amazing results with playing around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Found the thread, thanks Jog!

So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

It was like somebody took over and disconnected the Air. Anyone else experience something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Return to home not set up right?
    Was it in GPS mode?

tedpan wrote: »
    Found the thread, thanks Jog!

So, hadn't flown for a few days and decided to take out the new drone. This happened..

It was like somebody took over and disconnected the Air. Anyone else experience something like this?

Okay now Im freaked out!, sorry hate to ask the usual stuff but suppose no harm.
    Had you calibrated correctly, any complaints on take off? Were you flying over any possible magnetic interference areas? Did you happen to check the busyiness of the wifi channels? As poster above says, how many GPS satellites did you have at take off?
    I don't think someone can hijack one well easily anyway, when it loses connection it it meant to go to the RTH altitude and just fly home.

Shpud2 wrote:
    Return to home not set up right? Was it in GPS mode?

Nope, ready to fly and GPS was locked on. I fly a lot, really freaked me out.

Nope, ready to fly and GPS was locked on. I fly a lot, really freaked me out.

Losing control at 15m is very close, but has happened to me once and as far as I can remember it did wander on its own for a tiny bit, nothing like 50m.

Wish I could say why, had my mavic, 9hrs total flight time, plenty signal loses but thankfully zero issues like yours.

Is your phone officially supported for the Go 4 app?

jogdish wrote:
    Okay now Im freaked out!, sorry hate to ask the usual stuff but suppose no harm. Had you calibrated correctly, any complaints on take off? Were you flying over any possible magnetic interference areas? Did you happen to check the busyiness of the wifi channels? As poster above says, how many GPS satellites did you have at take off? I don't think someone can hijack one well easily anyway, when it loses connection it it meant to go to the RTH altitude and just fly home.

I know, totally freaked! I've had about 20 flights with the air and never lost connection, on the beach and in fields usually. Everything was good to go, I always make sure I'm ready before take off.

I'm thinking the nearby Garda station had something to do with it. The second I lost connection I pressed the rth and that was about 5 seconds in. When it flew off, I really thought somebody else took over. The little turns were not automated like when it RTHs normally, it was very strange.

That radio mast would be something that would make sense for the mavic freaking out after losing connection - that part I 'get'.

But as it returns to home, you cancel the RTH then you mention it fighting you as you attempt to land?
    Do you think the sensors were seeing the trees?

Have you looked at the flight record on the app? anything weird?

jogdish wrote:
    Wish I could say why, had my mavic, 9hrs total flight time, plenty signal loses but thankfully zero issues like yours.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a one off, and won't be visiting that side of town again!
    jogdish wrote:
    Is your phone officially supported for the Go 4 app?

Yep LG V20, it's on DJI's list

What was the weather like? Was there enough of a breeze to blow the Mavic towards the trees as you brought it down?

jogdish wrote:
    But as it returns to home, you cancel the RTH then you mention it fighting you as you attempt to land? Do you think the sensors were seeing the trees?

I don't think so, there were no warning sounds when it got into close proximity of the trees. It just wanted to fly past me I was trying to reduce altitude and battling it to stop flying away from me. Never seen anything like it.
    jogdish wrote:
    Have you looked at the flight record on the app? anything weird?

Haven't, will check it out tomorrow night.

Shpud2 wrote:
    What was the weather like? Was there enough of a breeze to blow the Mavic towards the trees as you brought it down?

Perfect, hardly even a breeze, it was like a living nightmare battling for control. It's such a simple drone to fly too, the whole thing was surreal!

Sounds like the log is the way to go next so. See if you had GPS coverage as it flew towards the trees.

• Advertisement

Shpud2 wrote:
    Sounds like the log is the way to go next so. See if you had GPS coverage as it flew towards the trees.

Checked, I had 10 satellites taking off, GPS logo on and 16 satellites throughout the entire flight. Max distance 102m and 30m. :S

Checked, I had 10 satellites taking off, GPS logo on and 16 satellites throughout the entire flight. Max distance 102m and 30m. :S

Any update, has the issue happened again?

theothernt wrote:
    Any update, has the issue happened again?

Haven't flown since, hoping to go out tomorrow :)

Hi,
    I am taking panoramic stills - but having two issues, the JPG produced by the drone does not hold up well to editing and the stitching is a bit hit or miss. So I have opted to save the unstiched raw DNG's

My issue is now is, finding a windows (hopefully free) program than can stitch them, and hopefully produce a pano in a file format that holds up better than JPG after adjusting exposure/white balance etc...

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hi,
    I am taking panoramic stills - but having two issues, the JPG produced by the drone does not hold up well to editing and the stitching is a bit hit or miss. So I have opted to save the unstiched raw DNG's

My issue is now is, finding a windows (hopefully free) program than can stitch them, and hopefully produce a pano in a file format that holds up better than JPG after adjusting exposure/white balance etc...

Any ideas?

I use Microsoft ICE to produce 3D Spherical panoramas ("360degree") that are compatible with direct upload to Twitter and Facebook - and its free..

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    I use Microsoft ICE to produce 3D Spherical panoramas ("360degree") that are compatible with direct upload to Twitter and Facebook - and its free..
    Thanks just tried its great, do you edit the separate DNG's before ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭ozmo

Thanks just tried its great, do you edit the separate DNG's before ICE?

I used the JPGs - they came out fine - I did notice the Phantom 4 produced a better quality image than the Mavic's - but you could only notice this when you use the zoom in control thats available for the 360 view in the facebook - to max.

Could be wrong - but I think if you try to use the DNGs it will produce a worse output - as most software seems to just read the low resolution TIF thumbnail that's in the DNG rather than the full data - to prevent this you may need to convert them to standard TIF using lightroom or something first that will use the real DNG data - try jpg first.

You can also use Hanger 360 - its free also and is a very easy option - downside is you need to fly or switch mid-air to their app to take the photos.

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

thinking of buying one of these...never owned a drone before and know next to nothing about them, is it worth it?

Cupatae wrote: »
    thinking of buying one of these...never owned a drone before and know next to nothing about them, is it worth it?

Hi Cupatae,

I was kinda similar to you, but had owned a syma X5w, 40 euro thing, fun but impossible to fly with accuracy. I honestly have some mixed feelings about my Mavic but yet I love it.

Pros:
    Small, light so easy to just pick up and go
    So easy to fly, the thing is rock solid for me
    Great images, just look online
    It feels expensive, not cheap, I have confidence when flying it.
    It's opened up new photo/video chances made me enjoy taking photos again.
    Range ( after the FCC 'hack') is more than good for anything I want.
    The display on my phone is great, loads of info ( samsung galaxy s8 )

Cons
    It's a tad noisy - they all are but the Air's whine is annoying.
    The controller holds the phone under the thumb sticks, I would prefer it above them.
    The signal can be easily broken with minimal interference - depends where you are.
    DJI and software updates can be annoying, recently experienced some camera gimble issues - seems to have righted itself - for now
    Everything is expensive for me - then again thats true of all drones.

Okay the real reason I kinda half nearly regret it ( still don't) IF you look into the drone regulations and obey them all, you basically will hardly ever fly - although a quicksearch here/youtube and common sense shows you how to be safe and not do anything dangerous. Still not legal, but I don't know.

Point of note, youtbuber Tony&Chelse Northup, gave the parrot anafi drone a better review.

Lastly personally I did not get the fly more bundle, and happy with that choice, just bought one extra battery in argos, and bought a case on amazon for €20.

Any questions let me know, would love to help or make an 'Air' firend - god that's sad lol.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Hi Cupatae,

I was kinda similar to you, but had owned a syma X5w, 40 euro thing, fun but impossible to fly with accuracy. I honestly have some mixed feelings about my Mavic but yet I love it.

Pros:
    Small, light so easy to just pick up and go
    So easy to fly, the thing is rock solid for me
    Great images, just look online
    It feels expensive, not cheap, I have confidence when flying it.
    It's opened up new photo/video chances made me enjoy taking photos again.
    Range ( after the FCC 'hack') is more than good for anything I want.
    The display on my phone is great, loads of info ( samsung galaxy s8 )

Cons
    It's a tad noisy - they all are but the Air's whine is annoying.
    The controller holds the phone under the thumb sticks, I would prefer it above them.
    The signal can be easily broken with minimal interference - depends where you are.
    DJI and software updates can be annoying, recently experienced some camera gimble issues - seems to have righted itself - for now
    Everything is expensive for me - then again thats true of all drones.

Okay the real reason I kinda half nearly regret it ( still don't) IF you look into the drone regulations and obey them all, you basically will hardly ever fly - although a quicksearch here/youtube and common sense shows you how to be safe and not do anything dangerous. Still not legal, but I don't know.

Point of note, youtbuber Tony&Chelse Northup, gave the parrot anafi drone a better review.

Lastly personally I did not get the fly more bundle, and happy with that choice, just bought one extra battery in argos, and bought a case on amazon for €20.

Any questions let me know, would love to help or make an 'Air' firend - god that's sad lol.

Cheers for the detailed reply! answered most my questions, i was sorta thinking it seemed abit too good to be true, i live about 15 miles away from an airport myself so it could be an issue with the fly thing if it stops the drone (i read somewhere it does gsp thing to see if its safe to fly?)

Im prob still gonna go ahead and get one and fly it just as you say use abit of common sense when doing so!

One other thing does it, work well with all android phones or would they need to be of a certain spec?

Im planning on travelling around europe in a couple of months so the portability of it was a real selling point for me!

Advertisement