Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can TV Licence inspectors check your bedroom?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A timely article on why rates will not be lowered

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0801/465861-rabbitte-rte/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭styo

djimi wrote: »
    Does it have SCART or HDMI input? If so then it is capable of receiving a TV signal and you would be liable to pay for a TV license.

nope. that's wrong. the act is specific on the equipment being capable of receipt of the signal.

ie. the set top box is the thing that must be licensed, or the tv given that it has a broadcast signal decoder.

a monitor, which has a hdmi input, does not have to be licensed.

djimi wrote: »
    There is a difference between a more old school computer monitor (which typically only has a VGA/DVI connection on it) and the type of monitor that is more commonly in use nowadays which is basically a small TV complete with HDMI and often SCART. If inspectors see a monitor connected to a PC and ignore it then well and good, but essentially there is no difference between the 24" monitor that is plugged into your PC via HDMI and the 42" monitor in your living room that is connected via HDMI/SCART to the PS3 and the Sky box, and an inspector who knows what they are looking may see the 24" monitor with its HDMI connection and realise that it is fully capable of broadcasting a TV signal from a Sky/UPC box.

I should clarify (or backtrack if you will) and say I am referring to monitors that are capable of carrying sound as well as picture. A monitor that is not capable of carrying sound cant really be considered to be a television.

HDMI and/or SCART connections do not need licensing.
    nor is sound the issue.

the act is very clear - the device that must be licensed is the device capable of decoding the transmission. ie. its the tv card in the TV set, not the screen.

F35 wrote: »
    Yep, agreed, especially when people can get rte player for free.

I've no need to pay for RTE thanks.

I'd probably subscribe (and pay) for a news feed from RTE, but no interest in wha is not public interest broadcasting thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I have no interest in paying towards Ryan Turdidys salary

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Simply saying "Oh your TV has a Scart connector therefore it is capable" is not good enough, and it's lazy, cynical painting of the regulations that makes people think that is the case. Technically - using the interpretation you are applying djimi, every man, woman, and child in possession of a smart phone needs a TV license.

If you have a TV (or other device) that is - at the moment in time we are discussing - not able to receive a broadcast signal then the argument falls flat on its face. You do not receive a broadcast signal via any sort of cable; cables are nothing but a medium. You receive a broadcast signal by another piece of equipment. If you are lacking that equipment (or the cables to connect it all up for that matter) to receive a broadcast signal, well then again, the argument again falls flat on its face.

The important words are "broadcast signal". That means live TV, now.

Granted, the above does not apply to a TV that has built in capability to receive broadcast signals. Same for having your tv/video/pctv-card plugged into an active, working wall socket of some sort, as again you are able to receive a broadcast signal because you are physically able (i.e. you are in possession of the physical cable needed) to do so.

The TV licensing people are a law unto themselves and will tell you fib after fib to paint themselves as an imposing authority figure. Some of the tactics & letter content they use here in the UK is outrageous and they are notorious for being highly selective with the truth and aggressive & intimidating in the contents of their letters in an effort to simply scare people into submission. It's very much a case of assumed guilt, prove innocence.

Bottom line, it's not about owning x, y, or z; it's about whether or not x, y, or z is able (not designed, but able) to receive a broadcast (as in "live") signal. If you can receive that signal, get yourself a license because otherwise you're taking the p1ss.

nothing to do with whether you use the equipment. it's all about whether the equipment, broken or not, used or not, is on the premises.

The equipment in question is equipment capable of decoding TV broadcast signals.

that's what the act covers.

A scart socket is not capable of decoding said signal, nor is a HDMI socket. end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I have no interest in paying towards Ryan Turdidys salary

Neither do I, I still find this funny:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu6d0ns-JJU

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

styo wrote: »
    Are you going to reply to every post from 7 years ago? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

styo, please don't resurrect zombie threads.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement