Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

After Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To be honest, endorphin kicks is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I'm focusing on other ways to keep sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, literally "The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others"

A few mornings this week a group of 4 joggers has passed by. Jogging one after another, no distance whatsoever. Saw something earlier in week that these new strains mean that activities that were considered low risk may no longer be safe. Time will tell i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭obi604

Omega28 wrote: »
    I'm now tempted to fork out the ridiculous price of over €500 for adjustable dumbells and not renew my gym membership as it was just up before lockdown 3.0.

I was going to renew my membership but all this opening/closing has put me off going back. I think I can a decent workout with 40kg adjustable dumbells.

Check out this state of the art adjustable dumbbell set, all yours for 99 Euro. Bargain.

https://ibb.co/KDmKYRn

............NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Got myself some sandbags from Cerberus Strength. Arrived within a week of ordering them. Only getting them going but they're a very versatile training tool.

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Check out this state of the art adjustable dumbbell set, all yours for 99 Euro. Bargain.

https://ibb.co/KDmKYRn

............NOT

They're in Argos for half that...assuming the full set is 30kg

Got myself some sandbags from Cerberus Strength. Arrived within a week of ordering them. Only getting them going but they're a very versatile training tool.

What kinda weight did you get? I was looking at them before

What kinda weight did you get? I was looking at them before

I didn't get an exact weight as they are a bit more dear. Got the 40-70kg and 70-100kg one. I've only had a chance to fill the lighter one and have put 40kg in it so far. I can strict press it but it definitely is awkward. Unsure if it's my poor workmanship or just that there's a decent amount of empty space but it isn't as compact as I'd like it. Still it'll do the job I'd say. I imagine I'll get used to it but it definitely is a lot harder than a 40kg barbell would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/fj76nr/pandemic_proof_strength_training_a_solution_for/

I used that post to get a rough estimate for what weights I should use.

I didn't get an exact weight as they are a bit more dear. Got the 40-70kg and 70-100kg one. I've only had a chance to fill the lighter one and have put 40kg in it so far. I can strict press it but it definitely is awkward. Unsure if it's my poor workmanship or just that there's a decent amount of empty space but it isn't as compact as I'd like it. Still it'll do the job I'd say. I imagine I'll get used to it but it definitely is a lot harder than a 40kg barbell would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/weightroom/comments/fj76nr/pandemic_proof_strength_training_a_solution_for/

I used that post to get a rough estimate for what weights I should use.

I ended up with a 45kg slam/dead ball. They are definitely more awkward than a 45kg barbell would be.

Yer man delivers it and it's in bubble wrap. Watches me struggle to get the bloody thing off the hand cart. I looked like I had no business buying something that weighed 45kg.

It's grand for putting away though and I've had good craic with it doing ground-to-shoulder stuff for conditioning.

And also because functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i've bought some dumbells and a bench and was just settling into a good routine again and trying be content not even thinking about the gyms, but dublin bus announcing they've cut mon-fri hours back to saturday has completely ruined my week & general mood.

will have to leave 15 mins earlier everyday to get into work, and if the bus doesnt turn up,which isn't exactly a rare occurance, ill be waiting 30 minutes instead of the usual 10 for the next one. pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

They're in Argos for half that...assuming the full set is 30kg

Don’t think Argos actually have anything that resembles a weight left in stock!
    No benches either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Omega28

I think it will be at least post Paddy's Day before things slowly open back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Omega28 wrote: »
    I think it will be at least post Paddy's Day before things slowly open back up.

Can somebody rename this thread "Gyms to before 18th March??" or "When will the gyms reopen!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish, dropping the creatine has had the obvious effect. And doing cardio HIIT everyday and "cleanish" diet not helping either. No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.
    The HIIT I follow on youtube is good though and super challenging but I've ALWAYS been a weight lifter and this is just a stop gap until I get back to the gym. I may aswell get a little cardio fitter than I used to be!

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish, dropping the creatine has had the obvious effect. And doing cardio HIIT everyday and "cleanish" diet not helping either. No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.
    The HIIT I follow on youtube is good though and super challenging but I've ALWAYS been a weight lifter and this is just a stop gap until I get back to the gym. I may aswell get a little cardio fitter than I used to be!

I have bands and a pair of dumbbells...that's it. First lockdown I didn't have dumbbells...just a 25kg sandbag.

There is a lot of work you can do with even with equipment that limited if you do a lot of single leg work, tempos, pauses. Might not be optimal but you can mitigate a lot of that loss of strength

I ended up with a 45kg slam/dead ball. They are definitely more awkward than a 45kg barbell would be.

Yer man delivers it and it's in bubble wrap. Watches me struggle to get the bloody thing off the hand cart. I looked like I had no business buying something that weighed 45kg.

It's grand for putting away though and I've had good craic with it doing ground-to-shoulder stuff for conditioning.

And also because functional.

Filled up the second one with 60kg there, might take a little while to get to 70+ haha.

Filled up the second one with 60kg there, might take a little while to get to 70+ haha.

Nice. It's good hard work.

The 45kg was enough because I wanted it more for conditioning than strength. They are great craic though

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Have you 5m2 available or that you could create by moving stuff around. That would be more than enough room for everything e.g. squat stands/quarter rack, bench, dumbbells and plate storage.

So the muscle I gained back has already started to diminish,......... No room in the apartment for weights or a bench or a machine of some sort so its this or nothing.

At the mention of no room for a bench I immediately thought of press ups. If you can't weight train there's huge options with body weight.

Sprinters do body weight exercises for their legs.... Worth looking at maybe..... As you say though there's opportunity for cardio work.

That said, ive little enough interest in doing much the last two weeks myself :D

At the mention of no room for a bench I immediately thought of press ups. If you can't weight train there's huge options with body weight.

Bench was the one lift I held onto strength the best with the first lockdown. Was back within 5kg of my max pretty quickly. Had just done banded press ups, tempo press ups and paused variations. Plenty of variations to turn it into harder work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Guys when are we realistically expecting the gyms to reopen then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

SeanJ09 wrote: »

I'm bracing myself for the end of February but hopefully it'll be sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

SeanJ09 wrote: »

There's still talk about stalling other primary services like schools, until March/April, so I could see it being that long.

Also for what it's worth, I have been stock piling the 5litre water jugs from lidl. I bought a wooden vroom from woodies and removed the head, and use paracord to hang the water jugs for crude, improvised weight training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

JeffKenna wrote: »

I hope you are right! Schools and construction are clearly priority 1. Non essential retail and gyms are clearly priority 2. Schools are apparently "50/50" to reopen in February (Sunday Independent citing Gov). If schools reopen in early or mid Feb then maybe gyms and non essential retail will reopen on 1 March.

JeffKenna wrote: »

Brace harder...I don't think there's a chance it'll be open by the end of Feb as much as I'd like it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Brace harder...I don't think there's a chance it'll be open by the end of Feb as much as I'd like it to be

Agreed. March at the earliest and that's post Paddy's day as they'll be opening them with the restaurants and won't want people doing the dog on it that day

We might get gyms with non essential retail before restaurants IMO. Loads of restaurants were a sh1tshow & they facilitated groups of over 6.
    We all saw plenty of it on instagram etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

We might get gyms with non essential retail before restaurants IMO. Loads of restaurants were a sh1tshow & they facilitated groups of over 6.
    We all saw plenty of it on instagram etc.

Agreed but to people that don't use gyms, they are a bigger threat.

A lot of what they might or might not do is predicated on the numbers. They reopened for December way off the <100 cases/day.

How much compliance there is with restrictions...impact of UK variant...level of vaccinations etc etc....they will all shape the numbers and when things might start to reopen. But after 6 weeks and from a much lower base, it was nowhere near where it should have been so I can't see much relaxation before March. They'll get numbers down to allow schools back...watch that and then see how things go.

Easter will be done 3 weeks after Patrick's Day so after that would be my finger-in-the-air guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Sprinters do body weight exercises for their legs.... Worth looking at maybe..... As you say though there's opportunity for cardio work.

That said, ive little enough interest in doing much the last two weeks myself :D

Looking at picking up a weighted vest, I see them in Elverys, adding this to the cardio / toning sessions should give me some opportunity to work the muscles a bit more.
    Reading the below thoughts on when the gyms will open just make me think I have to try a little harder and moan about it a little less =)

Advertisement