Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

New boss ram arrived just now, 5 star maternal and terminal.
    PzIengd.jpg

Is it Obriens or Nagles

It's Obriens, Both of the rams grandfathers are french AI, Paternal grandfather is from a very good line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it Obriens or Nagles

It's Obriens, Both of the rams grandfathers are french AI, Paternal grandfather is from a very good line

O'Briens.

Cheryls rams work well with what I'm at here.

I had the pick of the non society sale rams and there was a few very good rams there that I would have trouble picking between. So I just picked out the 2x5star rams and picked the two I liked out of those and then the two shepherds I brought with me had to pick which one to bring home.

So I can blame them if anything goes wrong during lambing:pac:

O'Briens.

Cheryls rams work well with what I'm at here.

I had the pick of the non society sale rams and there was a few very good rams there that I would have trouble picking between. So I just picked out the 2x5star rams and picked the two I liked out of those and then the two shepherds I brought with me had to pick which one to bring home.

So I can blame them if anything goes wrong during lambing:pac:

She puts a lot of effort into breeding, there'd be very little new blood in the Irish vendeens but for all her imported AI.

She puts a lot of effort into breeding, there'd be very little new blood in the Irish vendeens but for all her imported AI.

How are numbers these days for the Vendeen? It would be a pity so see them go, I find them very easy sheep to work with.

How are numbers these days for the Vendeen? It would be a pity so see them go, I find them very easy sheep to work with.

I've lost touch with them, numbers would be small alright. I showed your ram to the OH and, as soon as she saw that she could read the tag number, she had to research it,
    We killed a Charolais for the freezer lately and the vendeens definitely have a nicer flavour.
    Charolais growth rate here though is unreal, but the ram has good figures,
    - 17 days to slaughter so he's not the norm and of course I put him on my best ewes when I should've put him on a cross section of the flock to compare

• Advertisement

I've lost touch with them, numbers would be small alright. I showed your ram to the OH and, as soon as she saw that she could read the tag number, she had to research it,
    We killed a Charolais for the freezer lately and the vendeens definitely have a nicer flavour.
    - 17 days to slaughter so he's not the norm and of course I put him on my best ewes when I should've put him on a cross section of the flock to compare
    He's a small bit lacking in milk but it's hard to get every box ticked but I'm looking forward to putting a few in the freezer next year.

I'm strange in that I normally kill ram lambs for ourselves, I prefer the stronger flavour:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sure maybe this year you’ll give him more ewes
    For comparison purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

How do you find crossing the Charollais with Mules and do the Mules make good mothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

Nice ram, hope he proves good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Gave the few ewe lambs a fluke dose and a change of ground a fortnight ago and they have done some thrive since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Young95

Gave the few ewe lambs a fluke dose and a change of ground a fortnight ago and they have done some thrive since.

Nice to see the Dorset’s in the background

Young95 wrote: »
    Nice to see the Dorset’s in the background

They wouldn't be the best examples of them, herself was mad to get a few and I managed to find them 2 locally. They are rare enough around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Panic on 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

They wouldn't be the best examples of them, herself was mad to get a few and I managed to find them 2 locally. They are rare enough around here.

Herself is after me to get some too. What do you make of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

I’d be proud to call them ewe lambs my own. When were they born ?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

2 little rams.Whats the story with black sheep,mother had 2 white lambs last year and father is white too.

Better picture

Asus1 wrote: »
    2 little rams.Whats the story with black sheep,mother had 2 white lambs last year and father is white too.

We'd often get a black sheep in the vendeens, we'd usually keep them if female.
    ''Every family has a black sheep''
    They always worked out lucky here.
    Is the mother a crossbred ? she could've had a suffolk somewhere in her parentage but we were breeding purebred vendeens for numerous years and still got a black sheep every four or five years

We'd often get a black sheep in the vendeens, we'd usually keep them if female.
    ''Every family has a black sheep''
    They always worked out lucky here.
    Is the mother a crossbred ? she could've had a suffolk somewhere in her parentage but we were breeding purebred vendeens for numerous years and still got a black sheep every four or five years

As far as I know they are pure texel and he's from show charollais stock but obviously not good enough for showing.Id love to keep it but don't need another ram as I only keep sheep to breed for table.If anyone would be interested in him I'm in kildare,be grand ram I'd say.

As far as I know they are pure texel and he's from show charollais stock but obviously not good enough for showing.Id love to keep it but don't need another ram as I only keep sheep to breed for table.If anyone would be interested in him I'm in kildare,be grand ram I'd say.

He looks a better ram than his brother, looks like a blue texel

• Advertisement

He looks a better ram than his brother, looks like a blue texel

That's the ewe and there's the boss with last year's young.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Recessive genes .The black lamb is Melanistic. If you breed them back on melanistic ewes over a few generations they will eventually breed true. Which is what with a little inbreeding is exactly what 'blue texels' are .

serfspup wrote: »
    Recessive genes .The black lamb is Melanistic. If you breed them back on melanistic ewes over a few generations they will eventually breed true. Which is what with a little inbreeding is exactly what 'blue texels' are .

Thanks for that great bit of information.Neices and nephews fancy keeping him around as a pet now once he's banded.Any idea are castrated rams quite enough to keep for kids if reared around them.
    My ram was grand when he was younger with them but he'd flick his head at them now so way too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Started feeding

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Herself is after me to get some too. What do you make of them?

They are grand, like I said they wouldn't be the best examples of them but they are grand and quiet. I'd rather the texels myself but if it keeps her quiet it'll do me :D

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I’d be proud to call them ewe lambs my own. When were they born ?

They are March and April I'd say, I bought them off a friend by accident really. I was drawing lambs for the factory with him and he was going sending off all the Texels and they are all pbnr. He had spent a nice few euro a few years ago getting into them too but just never bothered registering them. They would be fairly well bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

They are grand, like I said they wouldn't be the best examples of them but they are grand and quiet. I'd rather the texels myself but if it keeps her quiet it'll do me :D

Cheaper alternative to the valais blacknose she was looking at first lol

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Cheaper alternative to the valais blacknose she was looking at first lol

Jesus they are all the same :D

Picture for Bord Bia inspection
    have you anything for us

4a Stock.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Picture for Bord Bia inspection
    have you anything for us

4a Stock.jpg

nice sheep there wrangler,..are they texel x llyen?

Advertisement