Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood chipper

• 07-01-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all
    I'm looking for a wood chipper that would go on the back of a ford 3000 any recommendations?
    is there any major supplier or manufacturer that would be good to go with so that you can get parts easily?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How much do you want to spend?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pat Cork

around 1500 id say, don't really want to buy new as I'd be putting it on to an old tractor in the hope that she (Ford 3000) would drive it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭accidental forester

My father-in-law bought the middle of range Woodland Mills chipper last summer and seems happy with it. He's running it on a Massey 135. He's not putting 6" material through it so it manages okay. On the downside, it almost twice what you were hoping to pay. https://woodlandmills.eu/wood-chippers/

Thanks very much, I've come across a polish spinning disk wood chipper CNC rt30 without the hydraulic feed. I've a feeling simpler is better! but hydraulic feed would be nice! :)

Pat Cork wrote: »
    Thanks very much, I've come across a polish spinning disk wood chipper CNC rt30 without the hydraulic feed. I've a feeling simpler is better! but hydraulic feed would be nice! :)

How heavy is the fly wheel?

• Advertisement

I've no Idea, but a very good question, as the inertia would be crucial to keeping it chopping.

Try a search on you tube of the Polish made one, try and avoid the Chinese ones if possible. Not saying that they are all bad, but in general the heavier a machine like this is built usually the better.

Your 3000 won't have 1000 rpm pto either so that would be a disadvantage too. I wouldn't worry about hydraulic feed though. If the blades are sharp and adjusted properly it will pull in straight sticks ok, forks need to be cut half way through first so they'll fit through the bottom of the infeed hopper. That's what I find with Ash tops anyway. Conifers are softer and easier to chip. What sort of wood will you be putting through?

Conifers, elder, furs , mainly clearing land with scrub on it.
    I'm toying with renting one. but the problem with renting is that you are on the clock with it..... on the 3000 I can do it on my own time.

Advertisement