Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

jeans (mens)

• 13-01-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

okay, so judge me all you want, but ive worn armani jeans for as long as I can remember and despite being very comfortable i'm resigned to the fact that their quality isnt up to much. Im looking for an alternative... so any advice that's not going to make a mid 40yr man look like he's trying too hard :0)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

okay, so judge me all you want, but ive worn armani jeans for as long as I can remember and despite being very comfortable i'm resigned to the fact that their quality isnt up to much. Im looking for an alternative... so any advice that's not going to make a mid 40yr man look like he's trying too hard :0)

I wear Replay or G-Star Raw... I've had loads of expensice Jeans... these two look good and are comfortable.

I'd agree with the quality issues with Armani, but more-so the cut...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Best advice I could give you is to not wear skinny jeans. Ever. No matter what age. Ever.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Best advice I could give you is to not wear skinny jeans. Ever. No matter what age. Ever.

Oh noh! I'm fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I wear Replay or G-Star Raw... I've had loads of expensice Jeans... these two look good and are comfortable.

I'd agree with the quality issues with Armani, but more-so the cut...

I'd agree on Replay for sure. If I can find Replay Waitom or Newbill at a reasonable price I buy them above everything. Sizing can be a little bit off at times - e.g. I've got pairs in a 32 waist than have more room than a 33, and I had to get about 3 inches off a 32 leg once. The downside of buying online.

G-Star are pretty close too - though some of their finer details can be a little bit flashy for a man of my age.

What I like about both brands is that they have proper denim that keeps its shape. So many brands now (looking at you, Levi's) have stretchy denim, I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It's all dependant on what look you are trying to achieve, as regards quality shape I find the Levi's 501 or 503 fit nicely on me, but each to their own, I don't think I have ever worn Armani jeans.

In the past I would have opted for a boot cut jeans when wearing desert boots, but these days I generally wear a sort of boat shoe so the boot cut doesn't fall correctly, so opted for the 501s which I'm told look good.

A decent pair of jeans is very hard to find, sometimes it's worth purchasing multiple copies of the same jeans if you find ones that are just right, I tend to be different sizes with different manufacturers and can change waist over time too so anything from 30-34inch waist and 30-32 leg - I'm 5'8 and average build as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Can't go wrong with Levi's; I recently got a pair of 502s which are straight at the thigh but taper in. Means I'm comfortable up top and the ends stay in place when I roll them up to wear with boots. And just yesterday I got 511s which are slimmer but they were €60 on sale so couldn't resist.

Other than that for a basic straight leg the 514 is a good bet.

Avoid G-Star. I never had any luck with them and they are a style of jeans that aren't really to be worn by a man in his 40s. Diesel (the Italian brand, not the shop) are good too, I've had pairs for years, but they can sometimes be funny on the fit and of course they have gotten more and more expensive.

I found Gap were ok if you're on a budget (which I'm guessing you're not if you wore Armani). Pretty Green online are nice too, but they often don't have a full range of sizes available.

Don't get bootcut. Those days are long past us.

Just bought a pair of Replay jeans off their website...

First time buying jeans without trying on... And I'm at least two waist sizes less than the last time I bought jeans... Fingers crossed ����

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Levi 501. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I like Dingos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Best advice I could give you is never take generalised fashion advice from strangers on the internet. Not everyone is the same size, not every skinny jean is like spray painted leggings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I like Dingos.

Or X- Worx? ;)

Calvin Klein do nice mens jeans, several different cuts. Mr Bubo likes them anyway.

Levi 501. Simple.

I bought a pair of 501s when I was 12. It was the biggest deal ever... Levi's had marketed themselves as a cultural icon... I wore those 501s to death along with a green pair of converse...

When they eventually found the bin, I got another pair... But Levi's had changed the cut... They fitted completely differently, in a bad way. They had updated the cut to match a fleeting fashion at the time.

I've never bought anything Levi's since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I bought a pair of 501s when I was 12. It was the biggest deal ever... Levi's had marketed themselves as a cultural icon... I wore those 501s to death along with a green pair of converse...

When they eventually found the bin, I got another pair... But Levi's had changed the cut... They fitted completely differently, in a bad way. They had updated the cut to match a fleeting fashion at the time.

I've never bought anything Levi's since.

Never had a problem with them.
    They haven't changed since miners and cowboys and construction workers first wore them in the 19th century.
    They go well with a sports jacket and shirt and a pair of black or brown shoes or just with a t shirt and running shoes.

Never had a problem with them.
    They haven't changed since miners and cowboys and construction workers first wore them in the 19th century.
    They go well with a sports jacket and shirt and a pair of black or brown shoes or just with a t shirt and running shoes.

They are constantly changing:.
    The fit has expanded and contracted according to the style of the era

https://www.esquire.com/style/q-and-a/a49555/levis-501-stretch-jonathan-cheung-interview/#:~:text=Pretty%20much%20every%20aspect%20of,%2C%20of%20course%2C%20the%20fit.

Advertisement