Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying in dublin 30m

• 28-12-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting a drone and thinking of a fimi x8 which I've seen recommended we decent spec/price

General question before I spend money on a drone that I haven't been able to answer confidently through my own reading.
    Is the general rule in dublin = stay below 15m and 30m away from car/building/people?

I ask because I'd mainly be interested in filming overview of streets in suburban areas. If that's illegal then it's a waste of my money I think. I see lots of videos like this but I am not sure if they are technically legal etc.

If it's not allowed for amateur operators is it expensive / difficult to get the permissions and training needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭MaddChris

30m is from people not under your control
    You have to be over 150m away from buildings/structures so thats urban areas completely out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

MaddChris wrote: »
    30m is from people not under your control
    You have to be over 150m away from buildings/structures so thats urban areas completely out of the question.

And now for the actual regulations which bear zero comparison to your post...

drone-dos-and-dontsc30d7591c3ff6e66b7b5ff0000aadb04.jpg

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Meant 120m
    150m was a typo

Point out what else I said wrong?

Actually, if you are flying a class 3/4 drone its is 150m
    The IAA image you posted is obsolete by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Oh, that's something I wasn't aware of The law says 30mtrs so I guess it's been updated?
    (c) at a distance of less than 30 metres from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the direct control of the operator;

The new guidelines I read online still said 30m so I'm glad i asked
    537389.jpg

In relation to the other question, are people generally just ignoring the law or is there a way to get permission easily?

MaddChris wrote: »
    Meant 120m
    150m was a typo

Point out what else I said wrong?

30m from people, it’s also 120m

• Advertisement

site_owner wrote: »
    Oh, that's something I wasn't aware of The law says 30mtrs so I guess it's been updated?

537389.jpg

In relation to the other question, are people generally just ignoring the law or is there a way to get permission easily?

Yes, Regulation (EU) 2019/947 is now in effect since 1 July

30m from people, it’s also 120m
    120m is on longer applicable in 2021

Yes, Regulation (EU) 2019/947 is now in effect since 1 July
    January 1st 2021

site_owner wrote: »

If you abide by class 0/1/2 then yes it's 30m
    Sorry about that confusion.

Yes a lot of people are ignoring the laws or most likely are just ignorant.
    The only way to get around the laws put in place for hobbyists is to become certified and insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Thanks for all that.

So of it's class <2 only 30mtr applies?

If it's a class 1 drone (I think the fimi is ~750gr) does the 30m apply at all (not clear from above table).

It's just for hobby use, if there's no halfway between hobby training and full commercial rules then it would probably rule me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Crumplecorn

Unless you're dealing with a CE marked drone (I don't think there are any yet, but I haven't looked in a while) your drone doesn't have a class and is treated the same as self-built, so only classes A1 and A3 apply to you, A1 if under 250g, A3 otherwise. A2 is a whole other kettle of fish with extra testing and such, so as a hobbyist you'll likely be ignoring it anyway.

Your best option right now is to wait for an actual CE marked drone in C1 (idk if drones like the Fimi will be updated to gain a class). Next best option is a Mavic Mini or Mini 2 which is <250g and so can fly in A1 anyway.

A1 allows flying over people (preferably avoiding doing so) and has no strict limits on distance from inanimate objects. But of course flying in a 'hazardous manner' is not allowed, so don't think this is permission to fly down the middle of a busy street in dublin city centre.

As for altitude limits in dublin, it's 15m without special permission except inside a bunch of zones defined in U04, there's a link to that near the bottom of the IAA drones page. Flyryte also have an airspace map which shows the same info more clearly.

IANAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wow that is some restrictions

Someone is constantly flying a drone around where I am (south Dublin city) - definitely less than 120 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

I'm going to be controversial here.

Buy the drone you want and do what you want just use common sense and don't put anyone/anything in danger.

Advertisement