Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transit through USA - possible?

• 01-01-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know whether it is possible to transit through US airport under current regulations (with an ESTA)? I'm trying to travel back to the Caribbean and easiest route is through Miami. I'm finding contradictory information online as to whether transit is possible or if it's included in COVID ban. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

Not sure what contradictory information you are finding but there is no transit through USA as such. Unless you have a green card or citizenship - you can’t travel to US from EU right now. Your best bet would be direct flight from one of EU countries like France or Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Are you sure your ESTA is valid ? Many were rescinded due to the pandemic and you might not be allowed to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you sure your ESTA is valid ? Many were rescinded due to the pandemic and you might not be allowed to board.

They haven't unilaterlly revoked all ESTA approvals. But if you have an ESTA, are subject to the 'no travel' rule and attempt to enter the US, your ESTA will be cancelled.

This is a shortened version of the notice on the ESTA home page. I took out a lot of the legal language.......

In accordance with ....(new regulations) ........... the entry into the United States is suspended for most individuals, other than United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland within 14 days of travel to the United States.

Any traveler with a valid ESTA who is subject to the Proclamation and who attempts to travel the United States in violation of the Proclamation will have their ESTA canceled. ESTA will not refund applications that are canceled due to this Proclamation.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

More info for UK & Irish passport holders

More info for travellers from the Schengen area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

The states doesn't do transit exceptions, if you touch american soil your deemed to be a tourist or immigrant

Does anyone know whether it is possible to transit through US airport under current regulations (with an ESTA)? I'm trying to travel back to the Caribbean and easiest route is through Miami. I'm finding contradictory information online as to whether transit is possible or if it's included in COVID ban. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ESTAs weren’t rescinded, I travelled to the US in December on one from Dublin (I fall into one of the exemption categories). But, as others have said, there is no transit concept for the US, full entry requirements even if only changing plane. This makes particular sense for us considering flights from Dublin that pre-clear land as domestic flights in the US and you just walk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ESTAs weren’t rescinded, I travelled to the US in December on one from Dublin (I fall into one of the exemption categories).

+1 as well as the exemption categories, you could be travellling to the US from somewhere other than Ireland/UK/Schengen. Provided you had not set foot in Ireland, UK or a Schengen country in the preceding 14 days.

For example, a person with an Irish passport flying home from NZ - they would require a current ESTA to transit via the US.

Advertisement