Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Fixed Term ending on January 20th 2021

• 01-12-2020 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have signed a lease for 12 month fixed term on 20, January 2020. I don't want to stay in this place after the lease runs out. Do I need to provide notice or I can just let the LL/agent know that I will not be staying here anymore and arrange handover of keys and deposit return?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hi,

I have signed a lease for 12 month fixed term on 20, January 2020. I don't want to stay in this place after the lease runs out. Do I need to provide notice or I can just let the LL/agent know that I will not be staying here anymore and arrange handover of keys and deposit return?

Thanks,

You have to give notice in writing, for a one year lease, 35 days in advance of when you wish to terminate the tenancy.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

Dav010 wrote: »
    You have to give notice in writing, for a one year lease, 35 days in advance of when you wish to terminate the tenancy.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give

Thank you for your reply, so if my fixed term lease ends on 20th of January 2021, I can give 35 day notice in writing on 16th of December and there should be no problem? Or do I need to wait until fixed term lease is over and then give the notice?

Thank you for your reply, so if my fixed term lease ends on 20th of January 2021, I can give 35 day notice in writing on 16th of December and there should be no problem? Or do I need to wait until fixed term lease is over and then give the notice?

Minimum 35 days before the date you intend to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

You can give it today and specify the 20th of Jan as the date you plan to vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

donnaille wrote: »
    You can give it today and specify the 20th of Jan as the date you plan to vacate.

Great thank you for clarifying that, I will do it this week, that's all I needed to know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Those notice periods for tenants are mad, I fail to see how you would get another place and not have to pay double? Unless you sublet for say 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

A smart landlord will agree to a somewhat shorter notice period in many cases; better option than ending up with an overholding non-paying tenant for a year or more because a stubborn landlord disrupted their original plans to move out, and in the current market it's likely to be rented out again in short order anyway.

dennyk wrote: »
    A smart landlord will agree to a somewhat shorter notice period in many cases; better option than ending up with an overholding non-paying tenant for a year or more because a stubborn landlord disrupted their original plans to move out, and in the current market it's likely to be rented out again in short order anyway.

In the current market?

Advertisement