Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

conveyancing and bills

Options
  • 08-06-2020 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I recently purchased an apt which was on pinergy when i moved in I was asked for 440 euro to clear electric bill and said amount had to be paid before the electric could be switched on. This was sorted out and I paid nothing, because the previous owner volunteered to pay. The question I have to ask is as follow "should the conveyancing lawyer have looked into the electric bill liability"

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't see how there would be an electricity bill liability. The liability would remain with the previous account holder.

Unless I'm missing something, the extent of the new owners liability would be a reconnection fee if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Graham wrote: »
    I don't see how there would be an electricity bill liability. The liability would remain with the previous account holder.

Unless I'm missing something, the extent of the new owners liability would be a reconnection fee if required.

Yes the previous account holder is liable and is paying, but I had to sort out the mess. I thought paying a lawyer so much money would encorage him to sort everything out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

I thought the job of the lawyer was to iron out the problems for me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You think your solicitor should sort out your electricity supply for you?

I assume your solicitor knows you can't inherit a bill from a previous bill-payer so wouldn't feel it necessary to charge you to confirm same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

There really isnt much hassle... get the pinergy hardware removed and go with a different supplier. Pinergy will know you are not liable for the bill and I would be very surprised if they said different.

There is no was any solicitor could know which provider was used in a property prior to the sale, nor is it a 'legal issue' to do with a property.

We moved into an exrental that had a pay as you go elec ad gas, rang esb and they gave us a code to imput into the meter to change it back to bill pay ... rang a provider... job done.
    We had to pay bord gais 200e to come out and remove the pay as you go gas meter which was a bit annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement