Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week/Month names around 1600 BC

• 19-12-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a short script for a story on bronze age people from what is now the E.U. Specifically northern E.U.

The story is not necessarily based on the the topic of time keeping, and truth be be told I will be happy enough having the characters marking out days with simple notches in wood to broach the topic.

I know they were trading over long distance, I know they knew the 360 degrees and hence had the length of a year 'contained'. It seems tantalizingly close that they wanted to unify naming over multiple areas.

As we know, the climate was not suitable for writing storage.

Is it fool
    hardy trying to track down an
    'education' system and find naming conventions they might have tried to impose after such a long time?

I'm relying on two suppositions here.

A: They wanted to verbalize lengths of time.
    (They could have been happy enough not to verbalize focal points such as months .ect)

B: They wanted to unify multiple areas educationally.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just a comparison point from Guinness:
    The oldest calendar still in use is the Jewish calendar, which has been in popular use since the 9th century BC. It is based on biblical calculations that place the creation at 3761 BC.

Advertisement