Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Contract to Permanent with the same company

• 08-01-2021 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Ive been contracting for a company for a few months and they have briefly mentioned the desire for me to become permanent.

There is generally a market salary for permanent roles, but is it normal to request a premium salary when being asked to move to permanent from a contracting position?

I do actually want to move to a permanent role, but dont want to take too much of a salary cut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unlikely to be successful, I would have thought, for two reasons:
    • Contractors usually have to charge a premium because they have substantially higher overheads. If you're going permanent, you don't have those overheads, and more importantly, you're competing in a market against others who also don't have those overheads
    • Regular employees cost more than their salary. At an absolute minimum, the employer is going to have to start paying employer PRSI contributions
    Those are general reasons why contractors get paid more than regular employees, and ultimately your specific situation may have other considerations

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Administrators Posts: 53,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

28064212 wrote: »
    Unlikely to be successful, I would have thought, for two reasons:
    • Contractors usually have to charge a premium because they have substantially higher overheads. If you're going permanent, you don't have those overheads, and more importantly, you're competing in a market against others who also don't have those overheads
    • Regular employees cost more than their salary. At an absolute minimum, the employer is going to have to start paying employer PRSI contributions
    Those are general reasons why contractors get paid more than regular employees, and ultimately your specific situation may have other considerations

Plus the other benefits that employees may get, such as healthcare, stocks, bonuses, paid holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Don't forget that your employer would also be paying employers PRSI which is 8.8% on the first €398 a week and then 11.05 on everything above that. It should be taken into account when trying to negotiate your salary

Advertisement