Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of Irish and EU clothing websites

• 03-01-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Inspired by a thread on the online shopping/auction forum which has some recommendations of European based alternatives to British retail websites (following Brexit), I thought it might be a nice idea to compile a dedicated list of EU and Irish based fashion/clothing websites.

As the UK is now a ‘third-country’ to the EU, purchasing from UK websites (particularly smaller retailers and businesses which are not registered for VAT in Ireland) could result in extra charges depending on the cost of goods purchased; I have attached an example from the CCPC Facebook page of how charges can be added..

To get the ball rolling, I found this article which lists Irish fashion retailers from the Irish Times: Seventy-five Irish clothes shops for your online Christmas shopping which may be useful...

I’ll add a new post to the thread with some recommendations of websites I have used or familiar with. If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to add same :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Zalando - German based alternative to ASOS, with has a far more extensive range of brands; free delivery over a certain amount and free 100 day returns via An Post.

Yoox - Italian based company which is part of the Net-a-Porter group. Mainly stocks designer brands but at fairly competitive prices (Yoox price vs rrp). Often has free delivery promotions, and offers free returns via UPS.

Perfectly Basics - Dutch based retailer which offers more niche brands. Fixed shipping cost of €7.95 with free returns.

LaRedoute - French retailer which stocks fashion and homeware. I have never used this site, but I have heard great things. Free shipping to Ireland over €89.

Aboutyou.ie - German retailer which is similar to Zalando/ASOS; primarily stocks low/mid-priced European brands. Free shipping and 100 day returns.

Usual suspects:
    1. Inditex group retailers (Spanish) as follows:
    - Zara
    - Massimo Dutti
    - Bershka
    - Pull&Bear
    - Stradivarius

2. Mango (Spanish)

3. H&M group retailers (Swedish) as follows:
    - H&M
    - Cos
    - Arket
    - Weekday
    - & other stories
    - Monki

El Corte Inglés - Spanish department store, kinda reminds me of Arnotts. Stocks a wide range of brands. Free delivery over €59 to EU countries: €5.90 if under €59.

Esprit - Originally an American brand, but now operates from Germany/ Hong Kong. Great for basics, regularly has discount codes, low cost delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

Sorry for jumping on board your thread. Will I still be able to order from sports direct online, or will I be hit with vat or other charges

Tks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nice idea for a thread! I recently found www.redlane.ie that I really like. They've a shop front in Tramore, I believe. It's not a huge range but fits well with my style so I'm happy. They carry a line of dresses that were cheaper with them than on Silk Fred so that's a bonus!

Couple more online stores to add, primarily French...

Musier Paris - I have never ordered from this shop; while they seem to be on the pricier side, they stock classic, high quality clothing (which afaik is handmade in Paris). I'm unable to gage delivery and returns costs.

Sézane - this shop has quite the cult following online by selling a 'cool, effortless, chic, French aesthetic' - particularly when it comes to knitwear. Free delivery over €200 (or €10 standard/ €12 express under €200) and free returns.

The Kooples - sell really high quality men's and women's clothing (think silk, cashmere, suede, etc.); also are stocked in BTs and also have an outlet in Kildare village. Particularly great for leather jackets and shirts/ blouses in my personal experience.

Benetton - decent, affordable clothes for all ages :); free shipping over €40 and free returns.

Sandro Paris - swoon! :D They have an outlet in Kildare Village iirc. Beautiful, beautiful clothes; appear to have free delivery and returns.

Maje - another on-trend brand (which also have a shop in Kildare Village); akin to Sandro, Maje offer free shipping and returns. They decent sales on a fairly regular basis too.

Promod - offer fashion at an affordable price-point.

Cyrillus - homeware and fashion for all ages.

And a few useful links for other French stores which may not be mentioned above...
    Marie Claire: The very best French fashion brands to shop online

Leonce Chenal: 20 French Fashion Brands Parisians Swear By

Parisian abroad: 7 Affordable French Clothing Brands You Can Shop Online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Would anyone have an alternative to LookFantastic by any chance?

I order a lot from there and there’s always a discount code but I haven’t found anything like it with same range and frequent discount codes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Depending on what you're after, Cloud10 is a good Irish alternative https://www.cloud10beauty.com/ Think LF is better for hair stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Brilliant idea for the thread, thanks for starting this!

(I'm in mourning for the United Kingdom - alas, it is dead)

-- not just clothing, but my books! My craft supplies! etc etc etc

(I'm sure they will sort out the VAT thing eventually, but...)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Great idea for thread. Is there any way of knowing if a UK website is registered for VAT in Ireland? Or how would you know if extra charges will be incurred on arrival? I’ve googled but still unsure. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I order a lot from there and there’s always a discount code but I haven’t found anything like it with same range and frequent discount codes.

It's not quite the same, but I've ordered from parfumdreams.ie before, they sometimes send discount codes via email. It's a German shop and they have some German brands and natural cosmetics I like at decent prices, some other things can be a bit dear though. Decent selection imo, but it depends on what you usually buy I guess. For me it's worked out better than lookfantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Teach30 wrote: »
    Great idea for thread. Is there any way of knowing if a UK website is registered for VAT in Ireland? Or how would you know if extra charges will be incurred on arrival? I’ve googled but still unsure. Thanks!

Ladies its still ok to shop from the UK - just be aware of the rules.

This link explains it clearly
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

Most sites seem to be correctly adding Irish Vat if over €22 (note no UK Vat is added) - if its under €22 and the website are accounting for the customs correctly there should be no Irish vat. Therefore the prices of certain items will be cheaper - e.g. on Amazon (this loophole gone from July).

Once the order is below 150 it will avoid customs duties (Irish Vat should be collected by seller).

Just be careful if the site isn't adding the Irish Vat and charging you UK vat as this is where you could get double charged e.g. be careful if Amazon order isn't fulfilled by Amazon and instead by a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

ams wrote: »
    Ladies its still ok to shop from the UK - just be aware of the rules.

This link explains it clearly
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

Most sites seem to be correctly adding Irish Vat if over €22 (note no UK Vat is added) - if its under €22 and the website are accounting for the customs correctly there should be no Irish vat. Therefore the prices of certain items will be cheaper - e.g. on Amazon (this loophole gone from July).

Once the order is below 150 it will avoid customs duties (Irish Vat should be collected by seller).

Just be careful if the site isn't adding the Irish Vat and charging you UK vat as this is where you could get double charged e.g. be careful if Amazon order isn't fulfilled by Amazon and instead by a third party.

Perfect thanks, I’m assuming ASOS, Selfridges, net a Porter and the likes are still fine so. Will keep an eye on the checkout and I’m assuming it will indicate the taxes there. Would hate to get stung when order arrives over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

I've just seen this on LookFantastic's website:

Brexit Update
    LOOKFANTASTIC are delighted to be able to say that your shopping experience post Brexit will not be impacted, and you will be able to continue to place orders as usual.

For customers located in the European Union, most of our products will ship from our distribution centre within the EU and therefore ordering with us will continue as usual.

For any products shipping from the UK to addresses in the EU, tax and duties will be settled on your behalf in conjuncture with our courier, so there is no impact to you.

Always found it a great website so I'm delighted with this news!

Decent crowd in Northern Ireland for quality shoes.....

https://www.robinsonsshoes.com/eu/

I bought a pair from them 2 years ago....... going forward I can't see myself buying from England again a €220 pair in a sale with free delivery to my UK parcel motel are now €220 + €22 DHL delivery + €50 ish sales tax in my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Teach30 wrote: »
    Perfect thanks, I’m assuming ASOS, Selfridges, net a Porter and the likes are still fine so. Will keep an eye on the checkout and I’m assuming it will indicate the taxes there. Would hate to get stung when order arrives over here!

I'd check with the retailer but I'd say all the bigger ones should be ok e.g.:

https://www.asos.com/customer-care/delivery/how-will-brexit-affect-my-shopping-journey-on-asos/

Bigger UK based retailers like asos, amazon.co.uk, John Lewis etc. have the ways and means of removing UK VAT and adding Irish VAT, and appear to have the system in place...

Smaller boutiques and shops may not have the system in place yet and you could potentially be charged VAT twice (UK VAT and Irish VAT). Anything over 150euro will be subject to customs duty. Delivery and insurance and/or a courier fee may also apply... depending... (just going by the CCPC image I included in the first post of the thread...) but I can't say for definite as to how these charges will be applied - i.e. will the customer be notified before shipping or have to pay on arrival to their address.... :confused:

Augeo wrote: »
    .......... €220 pair in a sale with free delivery to my UK parcel motel are now €220 + €22 DHL delivery + €50 ish sales tax in my country.

I just looked back at these..... for UK customers they are £237.50 so the €220 I mentioned was ex UK VAT.

So really, they're now €27 ish more expensive when the old parcel motel fee etc and all the changes are factored in........ it's not too bad really on items that are on sale that can't be bought within the 32 counties for the same price.

The guts of that is the DHL fee as free UK delivery was an option pre Brexit with the virtual addresses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Augeo wrote: »
    I just looked back at these..... for UK customers they are £237.50 so the €220 I mentioned was ex UK VAT.

So really, they're now €27 ish more expensive when the old parcel motel fee etc and all the changes are factored in........ it's not too bad really on items that are on sale that can't be bought within the 32 counties for the same price.

The guts of that is the DHL fee as free UK delivery was an option pre Brexit with the virtual addresses etc.

There could be duty to pay on top if the shoes were made outside the UK or EU.
    Duty plus VAT on the duty plus courier handling fee could soon add up to an extra €40 or €50.

Ogham wrote: »
    There could be duty to pay on top if the shoes were made outside the UK or EU.
    Duty plus VAT on the duty plus courier handling fee could soon add up to an extra €40 or €50.

Made in the UK, seller price for shipping to Ireland was as detailed.....
    ex UK VAT + €22 DHL delivery + €50 ish sales tax in my country (there was also a £5 admin fee in the €50 ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

For sportswear, Lifestylesports.com. Free next day delivery and they nearly always have discount codes available.

For gym/running/yoga gear, powercutclothing.com and peachylean.com. Ordered from both of these this week and I absolutely love their stuff. Delivery was about a fiver from each and took a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Topvintage.net (Netherlands) have a great collection of retro clothes. Delivery to Ireland is €8.95 between €99-€250 & €12.95 for under €99, free over €250. Returns are free - I've used them several times and returned things very smoothly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Another Irish retailer for our list - Willow :)

Stocks women’s clothing, based in Ennis Co. Clare, free shipping over €60 or €6.50 under €60

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

White Fawn Boutique:

https://whitefawnboutique.ie

Irish clothes store that sells unique and affordable clothes. Can't recommend enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ah will pennys not get online already :(

ah will pennys not get online already :(

Penny's operate on a high volume, low margin basis. Because of this the shipping, delivery, returns costs would be unviable. I doubt you will ever see online ordering from Penny's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Let's not forget Tribe, the shop in Stephen's Green.

https://www.tribe-clothing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

https://picketfenceboutique.ie/

Based in Dunshaughlin, Co Meath. Also has a page on Facebook, where sale items are sometimes advertised by video.
    Delivery €5 on all orders

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Let's not forget Tribe, the shop in Stephen's Green.

https://www.tribe-clothing.com/

I haven't been in Dublin for years but I lived there for 4 years and loved this shop! I didn't even realise they were online. Doesn't look like they have womenswear on their site though, I am sure they used to sell women's clothing in their shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't been in Dublin for years but I lived there for 4 years and loved this shop! I didn't even realise they were online. Doesn't look like they have womenswear on their site though, I am sure they used to sell women's clothing in their shop?

No they don't really have a great range online, just some of the bigger brand (Obey, Vans) and at that not many sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

They definitely used to have a separate womenswear shop but that's been gone a long time, don't think the remaining shop has ww either. Pity!

Advertisement