Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brussels.

• 19-08-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

My brother has moved to brussels.

He is alone.

Obv not now but he is anxious for me to visit.

He will be working during the day and well...i won't know what to do on my own.

I don't know brussels at all.

It might be a long stay like a month.

And yes i will go only when its safe. :)

Where are great non touristy things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do some day trips to Ghent, Antwerp etc. Lovely cities and great street entertainment, zoo, art galleries etc. Dining out can be a bit expensive so take a packed lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bebra

Leuven is worth a visit. It's a lovely town only a short distance from Brussels and, being a university town, has a lively nightlife. If you're interested in history you could take a trip to Waterloo or Ypres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Definitely take a day trip to Ghent or Antwerp or both if you have the time, they're only 30 to 40 minutes away. I probably in a minority in that I'm one of those people who like Brussels and would prefer it over Amsterdam. It's a great place for strolling around and discovering all sorts of off beat things. If architecture interest you, particularly art nouveau then you're going to the right place, considered by many to be it's birth place with Victor Horta it's father, you can visit his house where he designed everything down to the door handles and take a self guided tour around that area to see dozens of examples of the style.
    If I were to reccomend one bar it would be "Le Cirio" and one book simply called Brussels by André de Vries from a series called "Cities of the Imagination" plenty of things you wont find in the guidebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's also very easy to get to Brugges. A lovely small city. I really enjoyed Antwerp too.

Cinquantenaire parc is a very nice walk through the park, culminating with a Arc di Cinquantenaire.
    Eat chips!
    Drink beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

You can do the day trips mentioned above, and also to neighbouring Countries.
    Within easy reach by train are Lille in France and Aachen in Germany, or a bit further Paris and Cologne; Maastricht in the Netherlands too - a very nice city and very, very different from Amsterdam.
    As you will be going for a month, going to the cinema could appeal, as mainstream movies are shown in the original English version with subtitles.
    Same as in all capital cities, lots of museums to keep you occupied too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would take a few days to get around and see Brussels, the Lime electric scooters would be great for zipping around...
    Everywhere from the Grand Palace square to the outdoor markets near Saint-Gilles...

As others have said, you can do day trips to Ghent, Ostend, Brugges which is amazing and the trains are fast, clean and are all on time..

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Ypres is well worth a visit if you have an interest in history. Leuven is beautiful and the main square is a great night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Any hotel recommendations? Preferably somewhere central, with a sauna and/or pool. Will the hotel pools be open?

Advertisement