Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks like it's PAL release was only in Australia alright, which can bring big cashish.

I didn't know there were any Snes cases of this though, only really familiar with the Megadrive ones like Daze Before Christmas, Ecco Jr and Fatal Fury 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looks like it's PAL release was only in Australia alright, which can bring big cashish.

I didn't know there were any Snes cases of this though, only really familiar with the Megadrive ones like Daze Before Christmas, Ecco Jr and Fatal Fury 2.

I've got a physical copy of Scribblenauts Unmasked, PAL, which was only released in Oz.
    Sadly, I think it's worth feck all.
    Maybe in another 20 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not heard about that one but looked it up and it seems a fair price for complete in box. Every so often you do get regional games that go for insane prices and CIB snes games send the price through the roof.

and i though the saturn one was overpriced !! , i'm not sure that is a realistic price though and dont ever remember seeing it near that before i thought it was around 100-200 quid ,its different and crap if you ask me
    looking at ebay and it seems one seller is "driving" that price and i'm not seeing any sold at near that either

So is the Atari VCS (rebooted version) finally doomed ? Lead architect walks away....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/08/atari_architect_quits/

YES

https://youtu.be/ZRcSgVu331Y

For Die Hard Fight to the Last Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYe_Al6Ycrg

Atari STE owner here

• Advertisement

The Atari VCS is the Atari version of the Sinclair Vega.

Atari should remove the branding right to put the Atari logo on the thing, just for fun. Even if the units have the logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Whats the going rate for a working SNES these days? Thinking of getting one, but then I know I won't have time to play it, so then I was thinking of getting a boxes SNES for collecting, assuming they're not mad money.

Looking on eBay, they range from less than 100 to close to 400, so not sure what is fair, and what is a rip off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A SNES isn't rare at all. You shouldn't be paying 100 euro for one. 50-70 is about right.

Also I'd highly, highly advise against a PAL system. Get a NTSC US or Japanese one. You will regret it down the line when you realise how awful PAL games run and how bad it makes the music.

A US System is handy as it is easily modified to run all region carts. However it's FUGLY!.

A japanese system needs to have the cart slot cut to fit US carts but looks nicer.

But seriously don't get a PAL system unless you mean to modify it! It's awful.

So the sweet spot is a JAP SNES with the cartridge slot cut open?
    Is there any value in collecting these? I saw one for €30 that would be good for the odd game, but I'd nearly chance getting another boxed one to leave in the attic for a few years.

Master of the Universe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is there any value in collecting these? I saw one for €30 that would be good for the odd game, but I'd nearly chance getting another boxed one to leave in the attic for a few years.

The consoles themselves have plateaued years ago value wise, so no point buying one to store really.

The price of SNES games on the other hand has gone through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

Unfortunately there is no sweet spot for the Snes imo:

PAL EU - Great looking, 50Hz though, requires region mod for Jap games.
    US NTSC - Questionable looks, 60Hz, will play US & JP carts with a very simple mod.
    JP NTSC - Great looking, 60Hz, will need to be butchered to play cheaper US carts

I always felt there'd be a great demand for a modded lid for the JP Snes to fit US carts. I've never seen a cart slot mod that didn't look awful - completely ruins the look of the console. Cart adapters for imports look similarly awful too.

The most functional of the consoles is the US one...cut the plastics tabs inside the cart slot and you've a machine to play US and JP carts at their proper 60Hz. Not a great looking machine though. The alternative is a modded PAL or JP console....but then you're stuck with PAL English or NTSC JP carts/games unless you butcher the cart slot :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Every time someone sees my US SNES I get a 'what they hell is that, that's not a snes!' comment. And I feel shame.

I don't suppose a US snes motherboard could be thrown into a PAL case??? :P

It could work. Problem is so many amazing SNES games only came out in the US or else US games are just way cheaper to collect than SNES. You'd need to find a another way to play them.

I don't suppose a US snes motherboard could be thrown into a PAL case??? :P

What would be the point, you'd still have to butcher the cart slot to play US games :(

What you really want, is a Super Famicom with one these low profile adapters....you tick all the boxes then, with minimal disruption to the looks

EJdQxda.jpg

Master of the Universe

Ugh, just reminded me of this!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LP8W33EJB/sfc-snes-cartridge-slot-conversion

I've been on to the guy who owns it a few times and he won't put the print into production and won't sell me the design to get it printed either :mad:

Ugh, just reminded me of this!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LP8W33EJB/sfc-snes-cartridge-slot-conversion

I've been on to the guy who owns it a few times and he won't put the print into production and won't sell me the design to get it printed either :mad:

I knew there'd have to be a 3rd party solution. I can only guess the design isn't final, or looks like absolute cack when printed, as the reason he won't budge on it.

Master of the Universe

He told me it was far too complicated a design to print and would be too much trouble.

'Fine then, sell me the image!'

'...no'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I dremelled the f*CK out of my region free EU Snes it works just fine.
    Not very pretty mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

He told me it was far too complicated a design to print and would be too much trouble.

'Fine then, sell me the image!'

'...no'

On a regular FDM(plastic spool style) printer it would be a pain. But things have moved on these days and I'd print that no problem in tough resin on one of my larger resin printers(EPAX X10). You'd need to spend about 20 mins sorting out the support structures, but thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I used to have a Honeybee adapter just for plugging US games into a Super Famicom but it’s just... gone...

My current main SNES is a very yellowed US model, my first import bought in 1993 from one of those crowds that put ads in the likes of Super Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I still have my Honeybee adapter. Works like a charm. Remember paying a fortune for an imported SFII

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

At this point, I'd rather get a Super Nt. Especially now that the digital to analogue converter is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

At this point, I'd rather get a Super Nt. Especially now that the digital to analogue converter is out.

Digital to analogue converter ? Hmm, wasn't the original console analogue out as well ?

So let me spend a fortune on awesome clone who's primary purpose was HDMI out and then pay extra to get the same AV output as the original..

Nonsense.

Digital to analogue converter ? Hmm, wasn't the original console analogue out as well ?

So let me spend a fortune on awesome clone who's primary purpose was HDMI out and then pay extra to get the same AV output as the original..

Nonsense.

I'd have to agree. If you want to use original carts on a CRT....there's no reason at all not to use original hardware. I think the Super NT solved the issue of playing original carts on modern displays very well, but to then use it on a CRT.....why? :confused: It's not as if Snes consoles are expensive....you could buy a US model AND a Super Famicom together, for probably less than the Super NT...cheap RGB scart switcher, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Adding to the above sentiments... I love my SuperNT, but connecting it to a DAC into a CRT seems nuts!

Also, on the adapter thing...

Some dude on eBay is selling these DIY jobs

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Super-Nintendo-Famicom-Cartridge-Extender-SuperCIC-PAL-2-NTSC-Slot-Adapter/274422117133?hash=item3fe4d5330d:g:zjoAAOSwZ15eUT0k

Looks like the case is a hacked up SNES cart! Imagine he 3D printed a nicer case! I'd be all over getting one of these instead of having to hack up a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Having had the European SNES as a kid, I bought the US one a few years ago and I think it's great looking - I like purple. Plus the lovely concave buttons on the best retro controller? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sorry to hijack the thread but...

my phone just packed it in last night, had a google pixel 2 and the warranty ran out 2 months ago :(

Anyone have a recommendation for some good deal at the moment? I do need a really good camera is all really

I wouldnt ask but I do know a lot of ye lads are tech savvy when it comes to phones and I havnt been keeping up with them lately

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I have a question, i always thought I was good at games. Did anyone on here think they were world beaters. I thought i was at mortal Kombat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry to hijack the thread but...

my phone just packed it in last night, had a google pixel 2 and the warranty ran out 2 months ago :(

Anyone have a recommendation for some good deal at the moment? I do need a really good camera is all really

I wouldnt ask but I do know a lot of ye lads are tech savvy when it comes to phones and I havnt been keeping up with them lately

Would you go for an Asian brand? Oppo, Xiaomi and Honor are good phones for the money. My Honor 10 is pushing 2 years old now, I was going to get an Oppo last year but the battery in my Honor is still going. Honor is a sub brand of Huawei, similar spec for lower price.

If you do look at Samsung etc make sure to price them on Amazon.de, I've picked a few phones on there for €200-250 that would be €300-350 in the shops here, international unlocked and fulfilled by Amazon of course.

Most phones are good all rounders these days, very little difference between their performance in reviews so if I was looking at cameras, anything with an f stop of f/1.8 or lower would be my goal for better light capture and I'd be looking for the wide angle camera to have a decent resolution as some are 8MP which isn't great for cropping. Camera would be the only feature I care about myself. Everything has a decent screen, speaker and battery these days.

Advertisement