Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

thelad95 wrote: »
    There will be no Autumn Internationals this year, perhaps they could use the window to finish this years Six Nations? Maybe it might be nice for the likes of Romania and Georgia to get some internationals against the Six Nations teams.

The problem with that is Money.
    Georgia or Romania dont draw a crowd, and ticket prices will have to be low.

The IRFU are only asking two questions:
    When can we fill the Aviva and how much ticket revenue can we get.

With a game at home to Italy to play that will generate no additional ticket revenue and an away game to France it doesnt leave much room for other games.

Personally I think they should play the 4 remaining 6 nations games and then use those results to decide the 2020 6N while also taking the 4 remaining 6nations 2020 fixtures and applying them to the 2021 6N as a two leg home and away comp. So additional fixtures would be arranged for this autum and spring 2021 which are repeats of the games already played in 2020 making the 2021 6 nations a home and away comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The problem with that is Money.
    Georgia or Romania dont draw a crowd, and ticket prices will have to be low.

The IRFU are only asking two questions:
    When can we fill the Aviva and how much ticket revenue can we get.

With a game at home to Italy to play that will generate no additional ticket revenue and an away game to France it doesnt leave much room for other games.

Personally I think they should play the 4 remaining 6 nations games and then use those results to decide the 2020 6N while also taking the 4 remaining 6nations 2020 fixtures and applying them to the 2021 6N as a two leg home and away comp. So additional fixtures would be arranged for this autum and spring 2021 which are repeats of the games already played in 2020 making the 2021 6 nations a home and away comp.

This is assuming there will be crowds permitted by November. My guess is that even without a second wave of Covid 19 there will still have to be some measure of social distancing until at least end of this year so far from full capacity at AI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2020/07/rugby-sanzaar-faces-axe-as-details-of-nz-rugby-s-aratipu-review-emerge.html

Nabbed from ruaidhri o'connors twitter. Certainly feels like we could have SA teams incoming..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭bilston

PMC83 wrote: »
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2020/07/rugby-sanzaar-faces-axe-as-details-of-nz-rugby-s-aratipu-review-emerge.html

Nabbed from ruaidhri o'connors twitter. Certainly feels like we could have SA teams incoming..

Was about to post this. I was reading some from Walesonline that we could go to a Pro 16 for 2020/21 with the Cheetahs and Kings booted out and being replaced by the Bulls, Lions, Stormers and Sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I feel like we've been reading these stories for a few years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I feel like we've been reading these stories for a few years now.

We have been, but the landscape is different now and anything could happen.

bilston wrote: »
    Was about to post this. I was reading some from Walesonline that we could go to a Pro 16 for 2020/21 with the Cheetahs and Kings booted out and being replaced by the Bulls, Lions, Stormers and Sharks.

I read that too. Harsh on the Cheetahs. I think the writing is on the Kings though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    We have been, but the landscape is different now and anything could happen.

I find it hard to believe that we are about to set up things in a way that needs extra travel. Maybe in a few years but I’d be shocked if in the coming season there was more intercontinental travel.
    I’ve heard so many plans in the last few months that until I see 30 men knocking lumps out of each other on a pitch I’ll not believe any of them. Expanded league, B&I league, 24 in the European cup and various other muttering are just that.

The Kings are a mess off the pitch so it's very easy to justify binning them. The Cheetahs have been worth their spot but every offseason they struggle to hold on to their stars. It doesn't seem to be viewed as a team where you can become a Springbok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The Kings are a mess off the pitch so it's very easy to justify binning them. The Cheetahs have been worth their spot but every offseason they struggle to hold on to their stars. It doesn't seem to be viewed as a team where you can become a Springbok.

They managed some decent signing during this off season to be fair too them, must be some cash lying around there.

• Advertisement

Although having a 9-10 pairing of ruan pienaar and francois steyn is gonna have me questioning what year it is.....

Rosco specman should cause a few defences some trouble too.

They managed some decent signing during this off season to be fair too them, must be some cash lying around there.
    Although having a 9-10 pairing of ruan pienaar and francois steyn is gonna have me questioning what year it is.....

Rosco specman should cause a few defences some trouble too.

Pienaar and Steyn are great for the short-term and getting eyes on the team but the issue is the Cheetahs seem to be looked upon as a development side for the Super Rugby unions. The movements this offseason are not as severe as previous at least.

Pienaar and Steyn are great for the short-term and getting eyes on the team but the issue is the Cheetahs seem to be looked upon as a development side for the Super Rugby unions. The movements this offseason are not as severe as previous at least.

It's unfortunate plenty of individual talent in there squad each year, but as you say no time to really gel together.

• Administrators Posts: 53,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Said it many times, so long as the Cheetahs are involved in neither Super Rugby nor European Rugby they will struggle to hold on to their talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

awec wrote: »
    Said it many times, so long as the Cheetahs are involved in neither Super Rugby nor European Rugby they will struggle to hold on to their talent.

Hope it lasts this way. South African teams have nothing to do in European Cup

That would be the end of Connacht and Treviso long-term, Ulster/Scarlets will miss out this vital competition too, some times. Because obviously French and English won't give any extra room for Pro XX in Europe. It would just reduce the spots for Celts.

awec wrote: »

The SA teams in a Champions Cup under its current structure was never really a runner. 3 two week blocks of home/away pool games is impossible with that travel and that's ignoring the costs. The Pro14 was looking for money, SA rugby was looking to satisfy teams cut from Super Rugby and a win-win situation was found for both sides.

The SA teams in a Champions Cup under its current structure was never really a runner. 3 two week blocks of home/away pool games is impossible with that travel and that's ignoring the costs. The Pro14 was looking for money, SA rugby was looking to satisfy teams cut from Super Rugby and a win-win situation was found for both sides.

I'm not sure where I stand on them joining Europe, but I'm all for the PRO14. I watch it week in and week out but realistically you've 2/3 teams that could win it at the moment.

The PRO14 needs a lift, the 4 current SA super Rugby teams could be that lift. Yes they would need to adjust to the style of play, but they are quality sides with good fan bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm not sure where I stand on them joining Europe, but I'm all for the PRO14. I watch it week in and week out but realistically you've 2/3 teams that could win it at the moment.

The PRO14 needs a lift, the 4 current SA super Rugby teams could be that lift. Yes they would need to adjust to the style of play, but they are quality sides with good fan bases.

Most leagues are in the same boat. Look at the Premiership. When the season was put on hold Sale Sharks were second. They came bottom of their pool in Europe having only managed 1 win, La Rochelle at home. La Rochelle only won twice and have been really poor in Europe. Then you have Bristol, an unknown outside the league for now, Northampton, who are a decent side but not exactly world beaters (by all accounts they should have lost their game away to Benetton). How many sides could realistically win the GP. And how many of those could genuinely challenge for honours in Europe?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Most leagues are in the same boat. Look at the Premiership. When the season was put on hold Sale Sharks were second. They came bottom of their pool in Europe having only managed 1 win, La Rochelle at home. La Rochelle only won twice and have been really poor in Europe. Then you have Bristol, an unknown outside the league for now, Northampton, who are a decent side but not exactly world beaters (by all accounts they should have lost their game away to Benetton). How many sides could realistically win the GP. And how many of those could genuinely challenge for honours in Europe?

Your right for sure. But I think in the case of the PRO14, if we added the 4 remaining SA teams there would a least 2 extra teams that could definitely win it. Also you'd have more font line SA players in the league. I just think it would make it stronger and more competitive, and tbh more exciting.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but for me Leinster running out on a dry pitch in Durban is an exciting prospect, much more so then another night Rodney Parade or Parc Y Scarlets

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Your right for sure. But I think in the case of the PRO14, if we added the 4 remaining SA teams there would a least 2 extra teams that could definitely win it. Also you'd have more font line SA players in the league. I just think it would make it stronger and more competitive, and tbh more exciting.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but for me Leinster running out on a dry pitch in Durban is an exciting prospect, much more so then another night Rodney Parade or Parc Y Scarlets

100%

• Advertisement

In the long run it would be a nonsense for these teams to be in the pro 14/16 and not be able to enter Europe. I’d imagine they’d be looking for access to the bigger competition as part of joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

salmocab wrote: »
    In the long run it would be a nonsense for these teams to be in the pro 14/16 and not be able to enter Europe. I’d imagine they’d be looking for access to the bigger competition as part of joining.

The Heineken Cup is probably on its last legs anyway.

The future is a club world cup with a Pro16/Premiership merger against Super Rugby, France and probably Japan for the money.

troyzer wrote: »

The future is a club world cup with a Pro16/Premiership merger against Super Rugby, France and probably Japan for the money.

I’m not so sure about this, just like the lines up season there are just far too many stakeholders for this to be likely. One of super rugby’s issues was distance this would only make things worse. The answer to everything these days seems to be amalgamate and make bigger but I’m really not sure these things are viable or likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't see how a global club competition could ever work. One of SRs biggest issues is the geographical distances and one of the biggest pros of European rugby is the ability for fans to travel to games with relative ease. Sure the money is in TV revenues, but if the stadiums aren't being filled it fundamentally damages the product.

I've no idea where this is all going to go, but the NH clubs have a pretty good and strong revenue stream. The English and the French just need to get their costs under control (easier said than done, even if the will is there). The best thing that can happen, and I see it is happening to some degree, is tighter restrictions on wages in those 2 countries. If they can get the spiralling wages under control then there is potential for genuine sustainability. But there's no point in trying to run before we can walk. And sadly there's been too much of that already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the Heineken Cup goes it will be because the English and French leagues squeezed it out. It won't be replaced by anything except maybe some very short showpiece tournament.

salmocab wrote: »

If they are allowed into Europe, it will only strengthen the pro14 as there will be fewer places and make it more competitive.

We need teams to care about the PRO14 and take pride in playing it. Most of them just don't buy in as theres no relegation and there just isn't enough on the line. Adding more high-end teams will hopefully bring more money and more fans and kick start some of the interest that has been lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

troyzer wrote: »

This is to be avoided at all costs. The pain in the neck of dealing with people like Bruce Craig and Nigel Melville will be nothing compared to including regular dealings with NZRU and ARU.

If they are allowed into Europe, it will only strengthen the pro14 as there will be fewer places and make it more competitive.

We need teams to care about the PRO14 and take pride in playing it. Most of them just don't buy in as theres no relegation and there just isn't enough on the line. Adding more high-end teams will hopefully bring more money and more fans and kick start some of the interest that has been lacking.

I’d agree with this, also to be playing in the PRO14 and not having the extra income stream from Europe would be very unfair which presumably currently doesn’t help the cheetahs or kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Doesn't bode well for the new Pro14 season

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1282399087677997056?s=19

Advertisement