Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to pay balance of holiday by Saturday

• 12-03-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

at the moment we are booked for 2 weeks in the canaries in June
    Flights paid for
    €250 of accomodation deposit paid

Remainder of approx €2,500 of accom to be paid by Sat

Have asked accom company if they could allow a delay but has said we will forfeit our booking

anyone in similar situation and deciding what to do?

We are a family of 4 and all healthy, no underlying health conditions and boys are 19 & 16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No one knows what will happen in June.
    If it were me, I'd loose the 250 and cancel the accommodation.
    Leave the flights alone for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No one knows what will happen in June.
    If it were me, I'd loose the 250 and cancel the accommodation.
    Leave the flights alone for now.

Me too probably pick up the same deal for half the price

The hotels will be having Corona sales with so many cancellations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They’re just playing hardball trying to force bookings to protect themselves.

I would hold off, yes you will likely loose the deposit but there is a good chance they will relent and allow late payment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    at the moment we are booked for 2 weeks in the canaries in June
    Flights paid for
    €250 of accomodation deposit paid

Remainder of approx €2,500 of accom to be paid by Sat

Have asked accom company if they could allow a delay but has said we will forfeit our booking

anyone in similar situation and deciding what to do?

We are a family of 4 and all healthy, no underlying health conditions and boys are 19 & 16

What I would do is go onto bookings.com.

Use the filter and see can you get any suitable accommodation that has free cancellation.

Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lose the booking. If you’re asking yourself the question then so are thousands of others around Europe. If things improve you’ll have €2,500 to spend on a holiday in Europe and you can pick the same place or somewhere else.

And this way you’re not constantly worrying about ‘losing’ €2,500. Hold tight and see where you are in a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'd keep the booking. June is a while away and the virus won't be able to exist in really hot climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

What I would do is go onto bookings.com.

Use the filter and see can you get any suitable accommodation that has free cancellation.

Worth a shot.

This - worst case you lose the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m in similar boat although was able to cancel accommodation as if booked it in booking.com just going to wait a few weeks and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

speaking of booking.com
    amsterdam 4 star hotel 4 nights €144 this sunday!!

anyone know would it be absolutely dead over there or business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Ring them. Quite possible they'll agree to kick it out for another few weeks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ring them. Quite possible they'll agree to kick it out for another few weeks .

Made contact by email earlier

Here’s the response

“At the moment business is operating as usual and your remaining balance needs to be paid on time.
    Failure to pay the balance on time can result in automatic cancellation of your holiday. “

Emotions are running high today

A good nights sleep and a clear head tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'd keep the booking. June is a while away and the virus won't be able to exist in really hot climates.

Says who?
    Not WHO anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yet it’s in the Middle East and other warm places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bullsh1t. What's your source for that? Donald Trump?

How is it spreading in Thailand? Vietnam? It was 36 degrees in Bangkok today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm sure you were simply repeating something that you read online in all earnest, but this is no longer a joke, and misinformation being disseminated could genuinely result in lives being lost, so please: don't go repeating any old nonsense that you come across as fact, it is very unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

I'm in the same boat. Paid 375 when I booked. Another 375 was due earlier in the week which I haven't paid. The full balance is due next week.

I'm holding out to see what happens but at this stage I'm hoping that it doesn't go ahead. Due to travel in June and avoid non essential travel is the advice from DFA. Wouldn't be comfortable travelling in June and my wife is now very nervous about the situation and says she's not going. Checked the cancellation fee and it's 750. I won't be paying a penny more. Best I can hope for now is for them to cancel and I get my deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

just goes to show how social media brainwashes folk

"da Virus wont exist in heat" - source: Daily mail readers

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    just goes to show how social media brainwashes folk

"da Virus wont exist in heat" - source: Daily mail readers

The virus will be here for a long time. How a few weeks of not mixing and isolation are going to make it disappear are beyond me🙄 when people start moving around again it will be passed around again. Anyway I won't be travelling as I don't want to risk spending 4500 to spend a week quarantined in a hotel in spain. Would rather spend it here at home. 👍

• Advertisement

Got back in touch with them today and they are playing hardball, insisting on the remaining balance payment to be paid or risk lose the booking

WIth the news saying the peak could be in June and they have already changed their FAQ question in relation to travel to favour them, I'm just going to sit tight

Worst case I lose the flights which isnt great unless by then the situation has changed and the islands are deemed only necessary travel

Failing that, if we lose the booking but can still go, we would just try to find an alternative closer the date

Gutted in a way, cos it took a while to find this particular accomadation with location & facilities and was supposed to be last holiday with our eldest son

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

thats bollox

Advertisement