Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reservoir Dubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

... Must be a very untrustworthy bunch though...
    not at all, but in this instance the admins are well within their rights to exercise a zero tolerance approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Admins are within their rights to do whatever they like!

Agree with zero tolerance (this week!).

Wouldn't agree with "pulling out the plug" as a method of moderation, but that's just my opinion, and sure we all have them :)

A few hours to go before the Dubs play their first NFL final in Croker in 18 years, hoping to win their first national title in 16 years.

Excitement building for Dubs fans. Although unfortunately for Reservoir Dubs posters the admins hold them in such disregard that they have had the site down for over 48 hours now. Build up - what build up??!!

Is it just pure laziness on their part? I dunno. I do know there are some mods who are absolute top blokes, and who I know for a fact disagree with the "let's just cop out and plug it out" approach, and who'd prefer (and be willing) to just delete any threads/comments about the issue we are rightly not allowed talk about on this or any other forum, and ban the offenders.

But unfortunately those who make the decisions have decided, for a while anyway, that having to delete the very occassional post on the issue is just too much trouble.

A real pity as there are a lot of great posters on the site, and there are a few Cork lads who post too and are good for a bit of banter.

Hopefully the admins will have a change of heart soon and get the great site back up running again shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

A few hours to go before the Dubs play their first NFL final in Croker in 18 years, hoping to win their first national title in 16 years.

Excitement building for Dubs fans. Although unfortunately for Reservoir Dubs posters the admins hold them in such disregard that they have had the site down for over 48 hours now. Build up - what build up??!!

Is it just pure laziness on their part? I dunno. I do know there are some mods who are absolute top blokes, and who I know for a fact disagree with the "let's just cop out and plug it out" approach, and who'd prefer (and be willing) to just delete any threads/comments about the issue we are rightly not allowed talk about on this or any other forum, and ban the offenders.

But unfortunately those who make the decisions have decided, for a while anyway, that having to delete the very occassional post on the issue is just too much trouble.

A real pity as there are a lot of great posters on the site, and there are a few Cork lads who post too and are good for a bit of banter.

Hopefully the admins will have a change of heart soon and get the great site back up running again shortly.

That's completely unfair imo. It's the admins that have to deal with any legal issues that may arise from any libelous or defamatory comments posted there. Whether that's the reason for the site currently being down or whether it's something else, it's entirely up to the owners of the site. They're providing a service free of charge and are under absolutely no obligation to continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Database problems have led to the forum being taken offline. Please come back later

That's what we have up on the website and we don't have to explain ourselves to anyone. Believe me, I'm missing it as much as anyone else this week of all weeks.

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    That's completely unfair imo. It's the admins that have to deal with any legal issues that may arise from any libelous or defamatory comments posted there. Whether that's the reason for the site currently being down or whether it's something else, it's entirely up to the owners of the site. They're providing a service free of charge and are under absolutely no obligation to continue to do so.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. In my opinion that's hyperbole and nonsense.

The likes of boards and gaaboard and everyone else can carry on, without resorting to "plugging it out". If legal action is going to be taken I'm sure they'll go after the newspapers where names were named rather than discussions forums where posts were deleted and offenders banned.

Of course the admins are under no obligation to continue, and are fully entitled to make up whatever excuses they like. Equally I am allowed to express my opinion in a civil manner.

you´ve the wrong end of the stick completely and are out of order as you dont know whats going on.

you´ve the wrong end of the stick completely and are out of order as you dont know whats going on.

Sorry, that's right. I forgot all about the "scheduled maintenance", "hosting issues" and "database problems". Its just been one unfortunate coincidence after another

Sorry, that's right. I forgot all about the "scheduled maintenance", "hosting issues" and "database problems". Its just been one unfortunate coincidence after another
    If I were you, I'd not comment on something that you know absolutely nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dcr22B wrote: »
    That's what we have up on the website and we don't have to explain ourselves to anyone. Believe me, I'm missing it as much as anyone else this week of all weeks.
    Regardless of the reasons that sort out attitude is hardly going to endear you to your community is it?

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Regardless of the reasons that sort out attitude is hardly going to endear you to your community is it?
    I didn't mean for it to come across that aggressively but as DOH mentionned, most people are getting the wrong end of the stick.

A lot of the regular users on the forum have respected our decision and that should be respected by everyone.

Take away your quotes and youŕe correct. Again I have to ignore your last comment as youŕe pulling answers out of thin air , seems like you´re set on the conspiracy theory, have fun with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

Whats your username on ResDubs?

Just out of curiosity...

Take away your quotes and youŕe correct. Again I have to ignore your last comment as youŕe pulling answers out of thin air , seems like you´re set on the conspiracy theory, have fun with that.

Yeah, yeah :D You already admitted earlier the real reason behind the downtime.
    the admins are well within their rights to exercise a zero tolerance approach.

Another mod said it even straighter than that, but then deleted his post.

Conspiracy theories, porkies, exaggerations or whatever, I couldnt care less about.

I have huge respect for the posters on resdubs, sometimes you'd wonder if the admins have the same. I just hope the great site gets back up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

I just hope the great site gets back up soon

+1 on that score.

And seeing as Res Dubs is down, I'll just have to say it here instead - Up The Feckin' Dubs today! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

It's back up now. I can't see any posts referring to why it was down, but I was chatting to one of the site bigwigs in Croker yesterday and he said that the county board aren't happy with some of the stuff that is being posted, and the GAA are now trying to clamp down on some of the internet sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

how can the gaa clamp down on internet sites, and why for that matter??

I know what the admins here will make of that, anyone interested in surfing will remember something similar.

Gingy wrote: »
    I was chatting to one of the site bigwigs in Croker yesterday and he said that the county board aren't happy with some of the stuff that is being posted, and the GAA are now trying to clamp down on some of the internet sites.

Obviously the GAA can only clamp down on their own sites!

"the county board aren't happy" could mean that its just one or two voiceferous individuals rather than the every official.

In any event, they've no right to stop fans having their say. I'm sure some officials would love to have the administrators of fan sites in their back pocket, but resdubs is not an official site of Dublin GAA, and equally anyone who makes a comment on resdubs is doing so in their own capacity and it doesnt represent the views of the resdubs administrators.

A few years back I was chatting with a former Dublin selector who's also a big wig in his club. A really nice guy usually, and he's done heaps for GAA in the county. But we got to talking about resdubs he went completely unreasonable and talked all sorts of nonsense about the wrongs that were being said there, and he said he had contacted the owners of the site about a few issues. But when I challenged him on what exactly was upsetting him, it was clear it was mostly just down to his personal opinion being different to someone else's. He couldnt care less where people criticised him, but when they criticised players who played under him, he really took it badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jjj12

is reservoir dubs down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

jjj12 wrote: »
    is reservoir dubs down again?

Nope

• Advertisement

sgarvan wrote: »
    Nope
    cheers.... i seem to be banned for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Just spotted this thread. Have to say - Reservoir dubs is a great site - plenty of intelligent discussion on both GAA and non GAA matters. Fair play to the admins / mods over there for keeping it going for the benefit of others. Long may it continue!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Their not taking any new members though

thegen wrote: »
    Their not taking any new members though
    yeah but i am a long time member ..... its strange really i am logged in and its telling me i am banned with it not due to expire . yet it wont allow me to log out so i cant move from that page. i pm an other member on hear but they didi not get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Don't know what's wrong there. It's a site I would like to join myself, but with new membership suspended it won't be happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Temp Barry

yeah but i am a long time member ..... its strange really i am logged in and its telling me i am banned with it not due to expire . yet it wont allow me to log out so i cant move from that page. i pm an other member on hear but they didi not get back

Same happened to me. At the same time it looks like. Hopefully just a glitch in the system, I think its happened to people before. Problem is when you're banned you can't PM a mod on the site to get it fixed! , so hopefully someone on here can help.

Temp Barry wrote: »
    Same happened to me. At the same time it looks like. Hopefully just a glitch in the system, I think its happened to people before. Problem is when you're banned you can't PM a mod on the site to get it fixed! , so hopefully someone on here can help.

Sorry to annoy people with this thread. Still banned from the site and have tried to pm a few people from the site that are on here but none have got back to me.

Sorry to annoy people with this thread. Still banned from the site and have tried to pm a few people from the site that are on here but none have got back to me.
    You have a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Seems to be down for me unfortunately this evening.

• Advertisement

clunked wrote: »
    Seems to be down for me unfortunately this evening.
    i am told its up and running . if you are getting the same message as me then you are on the end of a power trip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement