Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biden/Harris Presidency Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Roanmore wrote: »
    Imagine The Republicans and Fox if he appointed Hunter :eek:

Can the Senate block the appointments? If so, what happens, does Government come to a standstill? Is there a way around it?

I don't believe these appointments require Senate approval. Security clearances would be a necessity though.

Actually, down the road, I'd see good reason to have Hunter involved in the Opiod Crisis advisory area. His experiences would be real, and it would signal to the millions who are addicted to some substance or other that there is light at the end of the addiction tunnel, if they seek/get help and take it a day at a time. That would be a great message of hope that might help turn many lives around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Roanmore wrote: »
    Imagine The Republicans and Fox if he appointed Hunter :eek:

Can the Senate block the appointments? If so, what happens, does Government come to a standstill? Is there a way around it?

No. The Senate only confirms Cabinet positions.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Why are you posting a large chunk of text as a quotation, without making it clear whose opinion(s) you are quoting and where you are sourcing it from?

https://www.leftvoice.org/the-newest-member-of-bidens-transition-team-defender-of-obama-era-deportations-and-family-separations

Biden already getting a pass

Except we know some of the policies which he's bringing in. Bringing back DACA, asylum seekers won't be staying in Mexico while asylum is being considered. Also making a point of reuniting the children who were separated from their parents. So already a drastic improvement.
    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-virus-outbreak-immigration-2c47c4e0f429476e991a1aff67cbb90b

When Biden does wrong, I imagine most will criticise him for the record. But at the moment, you're just looking for reasons to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Except we know some of the policies which he's bringing in. Bringing back DACA, asylum seekers won't be staying in Mexico while asylum is being considered. Also making a point of reuniting the children who were separated from their parents. So already a drastic improvement.
    https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-virus-outbreak-immigration-2c47c4e0f429476e991a1aff67cbb90b

When Biden does wrong, I imagine most will criticise him for the record. But at the moment, you're just looking for reasons to be outraged.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the apparent issue is.

The options regarding immigration/asylum in broad are:
    - The Trump route of stopping as many as possible, not allowing them in the country at all - creating tent cities on the border which are riddled with crime
    - The Obama route of letting people in and going through the process in the US as humanely as possible and deporting anyone that doesn't meet the relevant criteria
    - A open door and welcome mat for anyone that arrives at the border

There is absolutely no public support for option 3 and the Obama policy was far better for all involved than what Trump has been doing. Seeing raw numbers of deportations as a 'bad' thing points to a lack of understanding of the situation.

• Advertisement

I note the criticism of Cecilia Munoz, and I will be interested in how the immigration policy is formed from 2021 onwards. However, i find both the tone and substance of the LeftVoice article quoted to be highly inflammatory, and in light of the fact that the highly immigrant-friendly DACA programme was created under Munoz's watch, it is also extremely misleading. The article's Trotskyist source does not inspire a feeling of comfort as to its accuracy, particularly when, without any evidence, it concludes that Biden will become 'deporter in chief'.

So, for me, Munoz, who is a long-time, highly-experienced immigration policy advisor is a welcome addition to the immigration policy landscape, compared to the current approach that is informed by one of the most evil and dangerous individuals in US administration history, Stephen Miller! That said, she will have to reflect Biden's own comments that mistakes were made in relation to how non-criminal petty offenders were treated, and how their children were inexcusably swept up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I find the political conversation around immigration tiring in it's deceitfulness. Large chunks of the economy are dependent on the cheap labor, yet there's this insistence on denying that reality in the law. I have sympathy for the concept that laws ought to be enforced and not willfully ignored for political reasons, but when you have a situation as untenable as currently exists, something has to give.

Nothing new though, just another facet of an economy built on gross exploitation of workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Biden just finished his latest press conference.

Very impressive press meeting and just so nice to hear a President that's compassionate, coherent and acting presidential.

Went to town on Trump as well

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Brian? wrote: »
    No. The Senate only confirms Cabinet positions.
    Except when you have your 4th Secretary of whatever department as "Acting" for more than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I find the political conversation around immigration tiring in it's deceitfulness. Large chunks of the economy are dependent on the cheap labor, yet there's this insistence on denying that reality in the law. I have sympathy for the concept that laws ought to be enforced and not willfully ignored for political reasons, but when you have a situation as untenable as currently exists, something has to give.

Nothing new though, just another facet of an economy built on gross exploitation of workers.

It's not just immigration either that you see this. Often there is this battle between the way things ought to be and the way that things actually are*. You see it in countries all over the world in laws in such areas as:
    • Drugs
    • Prostitution
    • Abortion
    • Divorce
    • Homosexuality

The laws are written from an idealistic point of view, often influenced by religious beliefs, and deny what people actually do. Criminals fill the gap in terms of providing the services.

*Reminds me of this scene:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Speaking to an audience of more than 300 institutional investors who control trillions of euro in funds, Mr Donohoe said a Biden administration would drive forward the OECD reform agenda on corporate tax, which would bring “challenges” for Ireland.
    https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-corporate-tax-take-could-be-negatively-affected-by-a-biden-presidency-39777128.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just seen Biden's picks for cabinet

Great to see John Kerry back

Headshot wrote: »
    Just seen Biden's picks for cabinet

Great to see John Kerry back

Yeah, by bringing Kerry and Yellen back into Government, its almost like Biden/Harris are going to stuff the Cabinet with people who have great knowledge and experience in the jobs they'll be doing. Like, what's that about? I thought US cabinet posts were supposed to be filled by grifters and sycophants? Confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, by bringing Kerry and Yellen back into Government, its almost like Biden/Harris are going to stuff the Cabinet with people who have great knowledge and experience in the jobs they'll be doing. Like, what's that about? I thought US cabinet posts were supposed to be filled by grifters and sycophants? Confused!

What a Novel concept Tom. It’s just soo mad it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Speaking to an audience of more than 300 institutional investors who control trillions of euro in funds, Mr Donohoe said a Biden administration would drive forward the OECD reform agenda on corporate tax, which would bring “challenges” for Ireland.
    https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-corporate-tax-take-could-be-negatively-affected-by-a-biden-presidency-39777128.html?__twitter_impression=true

He doesn't need the oecd it's the US system that needs reform. I already said it before this is low hanging fruit for any US government i.e reduce the trade deficit etc. Surprisingly I think biden knows this when I see someone like Brad Setser on the transition team. If he were to get a full time job in the admin then Ireland is serious trouble.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The current flawed international tax system and some of the associated inequality it creates is a bigger threat to global stability and by association Ireland.

Something needs to be done to address inequality in the US ASAP or Trump 2.0 will be along in 2024 which won’t be of much help to Ireland either.

How effective any form of tax reform is with the Republican Senate to put out road blocks is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ireland keeps been thrown around in name in relation to tax avoidance. The biggest players in the global market for Tax Avoidance and facilitation of same is infact the US itself and the UK. No other country what so ever comes even remotely close. Ireland benefits of course from its tax makeup but companies also are given access to the EU market with english speaking and an ease of business. Irishness itself is very globally open outside of just a fiscal sense.

But thats for another thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wouldn’t worry about it. Every president in living memory is going to fix corporate taxes in other countries in the name of fairness. It hasn’t happened yet. It wouldn’t be a wise idea to start a trade war with the EU.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Brian? wrote: »
    I wouldn’t worry about it. Every president in living memory is going to fix corporate taxes in other countries in the name of fairness. It hasn’t happened yet. It wouldn’t be a wise idea to start a trade war with the EU.

and the last couple of fixes resulted in MNs paying more corp tax here (and we done fook all to enable this!)

marno21 wrote: »
    The current flawed international tax system and some of the associated inequality it creates is a bigger threat to global stability and by association Ireland.

Something needs to be done to address inequality in the US ASAP or Trump 2.0 will be along in 2024 which won’t be of much help to Ireland either.

How effective any form of tax reform is with the Republican Senate to put out road blocks is another story.

There doesn't seem to be any proof that improving inequality would impact 2024. Trump did more to increase income inequality yet it didn't hurt him at the polls.

I can understand thinking it would help but when things are so bipartisan reality and what the majority of voters perceive are generally in no way connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just thumbing nonchalantly through an old Frederick Forsyth thriller (hey, it's lockdown) and I was reminded how, at the end of the Cold War, we were all encouraged to laugh at the decrepit geriatric Soviet Leadership.

Look at those senile old geezers, we were told. Yesterday's men. Clinging to power and utterly paranoid about the next generation! What a shambles!!!

Turned out, they might have been right as when they put the relatively youthful Mikhail Gorbachev (54) in power, the old Soviet Union crumbled within a decade, but leave that to one side for the time being.

Thing is, these guys weren't terribly old by the standards of today's superpower.

Leonid Brezhnev stayed at the helm for 18 years but was only 75 when he died. He was replaced by young Yuri Andropov who was 68 but only lasted a year before he popped his clogs, to be replaced by the feeble Konstantin Chernenko who was 72 and also only lasted a year before shuffling off this mortal coil.

The satirical puppet show Spittin Image had a field day, as I remember, poking fun at all these old guys on the reviewing stand at the Red Square Military Parades. "He's not dead, no really he isn't,OK he is!" etc etc

By contrast Joe Biden has just turned 78 and he hasn't even come to power yet! He is the oldest US president to take office having beaten the previous record set by......Donald Trump four years ago. And if they hadn't selected Biden, the Democrats might have gone for some other old fogey like Bernie Sanders (79) or Elizabeth Warren (71).

Apart from premiers we also had to laugh at the age of the Soviet Cabinets. Andrei Gromyko, long time foreign minister, was 76 when he stepped down. So was Defence Minister Dmitri Ustinov, when he died.

How do they compare with Biden's putative cabinet?
    So far he has proposed Antony Blinken (58) as Secretary of State;
    John Kerry, who will be 77 before he takes office with responsibility for managing climate change;
    Alejandro Mayorkas (61)as head of Homeland Security;
    Linda Thomas-Greenfield (68) as UN Ambassador;
    and Jake Sullivan (43) National Security Adviser.

So if you also include Kamala Harris, who is in her 50s, the Cabinet so far consists of two septuagenarians, another person who would be past retirement age here and only one under the age of 50!

I know there are many more places to be filled but it really seems like the "boomer" generation is clinging on to the levers of power with grim determination.
    I am all for making the most of what De Valera called "the wisdom of serene old age" but in today's world you really need some perspective from the younger generation. By which I mean people in their 30s and 40s.

Is America becoming a country of old fuddy duddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well, Trump has put in a 34 year old as Intelligence Chief at the Pentagon...though its doubtful he had the country's best interests at heart when he did it.

Just thumbing nonchalantly through an old Frederick Forsyth thriller (hey, it's lockdown) and I was reminded how, at the end of the Cold War, we were all encouraged to laugh at the decrepit geriatric Soviet Leadership.

Look at those senile old geezers, we were told. Yesterday's men. Clinging to power and utterly paranoid about the next generation! What a shambles!!!

Turned out, they might have been right as when they put the relatively youthful Mikhail Gorbachev (54) in power, the old Soviet Union crumbled within a decade, but leave that to one side for the time being.

Thing is, these guys weren't terribly old by the standards of today's superpower.

Leonid Brezhnev stayed at the helm for 18 years but was only 75 when he died. He was replaced by young Yuri Andropov who was 68 but only lasted a year before he popped his clogs, to be replaced by the feeble Konstantin Chernenko who was 72 and also only lasted a year before shuffling off this mortal coil.

The satirical puppet show Spittin Image had a field day, as I remember, poking fun at all these old guys on the reviewing stand at the Red Square Military Parades. "He's not dead, no really he isn't,OK he is!" etc etc

By contrast Joe Biden has just turned 78 and he hasn't even come to power yet! He is the oldest US president to take office having beaten the previous record set by......Donald Trump four years ago. And if they hadn't selected Biden, the Democrats might have gone for some other old fogey like Bernie Sanders (79) or Elizabeth Warren (71).

Apart from premiers we also had to laugh at the age of the Soviet Cabinets. Andrei Gromyko, long time foreign minister, was 76 when he stepped down. So was Defence Minister Dmitri Ustinov, when he died.

How do they compare with Biden's putative cabinet?
    So far he has proposed Antony Blinken (58) as Secretary of State;
    John Kerry, who will be 77 before he takes office with responsibility for managing climate change;
    Alejandro Mayorkas (61)as head of Homeland Security;
    Linda Thomas-Greenfield (68) as UN Ambassador;
    and Jake Sullivan (43) National Security Adviser.

So if you also include Kamala Harris, who is in her 50s, the Cabinet so far consists of two septuagenarians, another person who would be past retirement age here and only one under the age of 50!

I know there are many more places to be filled but it really seems like the "boomer" generation is clinging on to the levers of power with grim determination.
    I am all for making the most of what De Valera called "the wisdom of serene old age" but in today's world you really need some perspective from the younger generation. By which I mean people in their 30s and 40s.

Is America becoming a country of old fuddy duddies?

Regarding the cabinet, how many CEOs are there of of the biggest, complex businesses are under 50 (who didn't start the company themselves)? They just don't get those roles as they aren't experienced enough and it is much easier to gain that experience in the private sector by switching companies.

Most of these departments are absolutely enormous, for example Homeland Security has around 6 times the employees that Facebook has. Add to that the additional political and regulatory complexity and you can't throw in people without enough experience and expect them to be successful.

As pointed out already, Trump dropped in several young and/or inexperienced people in jobs and they were absolute failures. We can only be thankful for this as imagine the damage the could have caused if they knew what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Biden has commented on the border here this evening (to RTE). Says the border must be open north and south.

US administrations have put in too much effort to see it wasted away at the behest of Brexiters.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1331396944569241600

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good that Biden is going to start getting the PDB so at least one person will read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Biden has commented on the border here this evening (to RTE). Says the border must be open north and south.

US administrations have put in too much effort to see it wasted away at the behest of Brexiters.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1331396944569241600

Silly thing perhaps, but serious respect that a foreign leader would use Taoiseach off the cuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Silly thing perhaps, but serious respect that a foreign leader would use Taoiseach off the cuff.

A silly thing to stop brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Biden is very Irish American. Also why is it silly?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

duploelabs wrote: »
    A silly thing to stop brexit?
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Biden is very Irish American. Also why is it silly?

I'm guessing he means that he's impressed by the fact that Biden used the word "Taoiseach" so readily and with pretty accurate pronunciation too..

Not "Irish Premier" or "Irish Prime Minister" etc. as you typically hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sanders writing on why the Dems need to win back the votes of the working class;
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/24/bernie-sanders-working-class-win-back-from-donald-trump

'One side is for ending starvation wages and raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour. One side is not.

One side is for expanding unions. One side is not.

One side is for creating millions of good paying jobs by combating climate change and rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure. One side is not.

One side is for expanding healthcare. One side is not.

One side is for lowering the cost of prescription drugs. One side is not.

One side is for paid family and medical leave. One side is not.

One side is for universal pre-K for every three- and four-year-old in America. One side is not.

One side is for expanding social security. One side is not.

One side is for making public colleges and universities tuition-free for working families, and eliminating student debt. One side is not.

One side is for ending a broken and racist criminal justice system, and investing in our young people in jobs and education. One side is not.

One side is for reforming and making our immigration system fair and humane. One side is not.

Democrats’ job during the first 100 days of the Biden administration is to make it absolutely clear whose side they are on, and who is on the other side. That’s not only good public policy to strengthen our country. It’s how to win elections in the future.'

Advertisement