Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IAA Student Controller Program 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Just got the email saying I'm through to the next stage. Very surprised as really found the DART difficult.
    Anyone know how many they are progressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I got through also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well done to all who got through, my brother is currently doing his "Tower" control certification exams, ahead of being assigned to some NATS controlled airport in the UK for 10 months or so of on the job training, and local knowledge gathering, he's just over a year into it at this stage. Whatever Airport he is assigned to will become his home for the next 3 odd years of contracted service to offset the cost of the training invested in him.

Once that's completed he is free to look for better paid positions in the likes of Dubai etc. It is worth noting that to get a job in Dubai you need to be assigned to a top tier UK international airport, the smallest of those qualifying would be the likes of Bristol, Stansted, Luton. If you don't get lucky with the assignment it can make working globally more difficult in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Also received the go ahead for the next stage. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tristan100

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well done to all who got through, my brother is currently doing his "Tower" control certification exams, ahead of being assigned to some NATS controlled airport in the UK for 10 months or so of on the job training, and local knowledge gathering, he's just over a year into it at this stage. Whatever Airport he is assigned to will become his home for the next 3 odd years of contracted service to offset the cost of the training invested in him.

Once that's completed he is free to look for better paid positions in the likes of Dubai etc. It is worth noting that to get a job in Dubai you need to be assigned to a top tier UK international airport, the smallest of those qualifying would be the likes of Bristol, Stansted, Luton. If you don't get lucky with the assignment it can make working globally more difficult in the future.

Which airports in Ireland qualify?

• Advertisement

Tristan100 wrote: »
    Which airports in Ireland qualify?

I know for sure Dublin & Belfast(but Belfast is NATS, at least for now), and probably Shannon and Cork too, I wouldn't imagine any of the rest do, but I am not an expert in this area.

Another point he raised thats interesting is they are doing away with "Tower" control at London City and doing it purely digitally from a remote location starting in a years time or so, presumably this may be the future to come in other places as well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39960993

It's also been already installed in Jersey

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/05/21/jersey-becomes-first-british-airport-to-use-digital-remote-air-traffic-tower/

Singapore is also in on the action

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/changi-airport-remote-air-traffic-control-system-trial-9424732

Did I hear correct that the new tower in Dublins basement has this capability?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Another point he raised thats interesting is they are doing away with "Tower" control at London City and doing it purely digitally from a remote location starting in a years time or so, presumably this may be the future to come in other places as well.

IAA trialled this technology a few years ago, controlling Shannon & Cork from Dublin:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

I wouldn't fully agree with that...loads of ways out of a crappy placement... but what you usually find is crappy placements are handed to the people who would be happy with them. Not all controllers want or have the ability for the higher pressure roles.

Ask your brother about western radar in NATS.... cushy number, will max at about 60-80k. All you do is talk to planes looking for information service, so mostly pleasure flights, parachute jumping, a few flybe flights flying outside controlled airspace to avoid charges and the odd military stuff... 0700-2300 opening hours

arccosh wrote: »
    I wouldn't fully agree with that...loads of ways out of a crappy placement... but what you usually find is crappy placements are handed to the people who would be happy with them. Not all controllers want or have the ability for the higher pressure roles.

Ask your brother about western radar in NATS.... cushy number, will max at about 60-80k. All you do is talk to planes looking for information service, so mostly pleasure flights, parachute jumping, a few flybe flights flying outside controlled airspace to avoid charges and the odd military stuff... 0700-2300 opening hours

He said that's FISO, and you don't need full controller qualifications for the role, also that it would be boring as feck! And would require up-skilling to go into proper ATC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

He said that's FISO, and you don't need full controller qualifications for the role, also that it would be boring as feck! And would require up-skilling to go into proper ATC.

Western Radar and FISO (London Information and Scottish Information) are different roles. Western Radar is indeed done by ATCOs and attracts higher money. FISO positions are done by licensed assistants but still has a rather generous salary.

Western Radar and FISO (London Information and Scottish Information) are different roles. Western Radar is indeed done by ATCOs and attracts higher money. FISO positions are done by licensed assistants but still has a rather generous salary.

spot on... usually get en-route training

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Are requests taken into consideration when they give out the job placements/job offers?
    Ie Most people would probably want Dublin, but I would prefer Shannon. Will they take this into account? Or potentially could I get placed in Dublin while someone who doesn't want Shannon get placed at Shannon?

from what i remember, a lot of the training is in Shannon,as it's the bigger centre.

arccosh wrote: »
    from what i remember, a lot of the training is in Shannon,as it's the bigger centre.

From reading all the blurb on the IAA website all the initial training is in Shannon like the first 12 months odd.

From reading all the blurb on the IAA website all the initial training is in Shannon like the first 12 months odd.

Is it 12 or 16 months in Shannon followed by on thr job training? They really aren't clear on the programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Yeah, I know the training is in Shannon but after that you're placed in either Dublin, Shannon or Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Approx 12 months in the training centre in Shannon, followed by approx 4 months on the job training at your location i.e Dublin Shannon or Cork
    For on the job training you receive a fortnightly payment of 80% of the starting salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gentlegeorge

Just completed the online Work Strengths Profile - pretty straightforward.
    Does anyone have an idea of how many candidates made it to this stage ? And what is next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Just completed the online Work Strengths Profile - pretty straightforward.
    Does anyone have an idea of how many candidates made it to this stage ? And what is next ?

What did it entail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gentlegeorge

Shanee. wrote: »
    What did it entail?

About 100 strongly agree strongly disagree questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sunlite

Hello all,
    I see that the next(ongoing) phase of IAA recruitment process(for ATC) is "Work Strengths Profiling – completed online, to issue early March 2020"(which were basic questions regarding your behavior and vision and I think that the most important part on these tests is not to be psychopath) followed by:

- Group Interview/ Exercise - Monday 27 April to Friday 1 May 2020

If anyone has taken this group interview/exercise into 2018 or previous years, please share with us some details regarding the manner in which this phase is sustained(how many people in the group?, what kind of exercises?, does it require a lot of memorization and/or quick visual analysis or quick mental calculations like in the FEAST tests?, etc.)

Due to COVID-19, I do not expect that the group exercise to happen as planned, but anyway, some details will help.

Have a good one,
    Sorin

P.S. Thanks Mick

My guess is the whole program will be cancelled, doubt they will need more controllers in the next 5 years with the impact of this crisis on air travel?

Beersmith wrote: »
    My guess is the whole program will be cancelled, doubt they will need more controllers in the next 5 years with the impact of this crisis on air travel?

I disagree, I think once this is fully contained, and that may in truth be in mid to late 2021, if and when a vaccine is available, then air travel will likely return to previous levels and previous levels of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I disagree, I think once this is fully contained, and that may in truth be in mid to late 2021, if and when a vaccine is available, then air travel will likely return to previous levels and previous levels of growth.

I think too many airframes are being retired for a rebound to happen that quickly, particularly with widebodies. KLM, BAW and DLH retiring their 747-400s, IBE, DLH and EWG retiring 340s, AAL retiring all 757 and 767, UAL and DAL both say they expect to be a third smaller when this is over. Airbus expected to halve 320 Neo production from 60 per month to 30, 330 Neo production from 3.5 per month to 2, and 350 production from 9 per month to 5.

Then there’s the huge recession that will follow this virus situation. The airlines are expecting something in the region of 5 years before the industry fully recovers.

you still have natural churn in a sector where it takes up to 1-2 years to train someone.

It may be reduced, but I doubt it would be canned completely, that's far too short sighted.

I would imagine they will continue the training, worst case they don't offer a job at the end of it, but that means you got your training for free, and are not beholden to work for IAA for a number of years afterwards. I hope I am right and wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Has anyone heard back from the IAA regarding the 2020 intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Just got an email to say it’s been cancelled. To say I’m gutted is an understatement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Both the last two SCP classes have had their contracts terminated

Advertisement