Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature entry Medicine.

• 05-01-2020 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Anyone applying for mature entry to medicine for the academic year 2020?

Hopefully we can help each other with our applications and the whole process ahead?

Anyone who previously applied, it would be great to get some insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

Hey there! I'm in the initial stages of applying for Mature entry this year (in conjunction with Grad entry which i've also previously attempted). Applying to RCSI & TCD.

Trying to find answers in relation to the personal statement section on CAO and if applicant for mature entry to Med need to complete this in addition to teh personal statements that would be forwarded on to RCSI & TCD anyway. The personal statement sends me into a tizzy in what needs to be included and how much I need to fluff it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ciara_pass124

Hey there! I'm in the initial stages of applying for Mature entry this year (in conjunction with Grad entry which i've also previously attempted). Applying to RCSI & TCD.

Trying to find answers in relation to the personal statement section on CAO and if applicant for mature entry to Med need to complete this in addition to teh personal statements that would be forwarded on to RCSI & TCD anyway. The personal statement sends me into a tizzy in what needs to be included and how much I need to fluff it up.

Hi there
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the CAO personal statement section. TCD have their own application process, so they pretty much omit the CAO one. RCSI also have you write a personal statement if you secure enough points from the HPAT.

TCD call candidates for an interview based of their ranking system.

5 points awarded based on your education. 1 for leaving cert, 2 for a degree, 3 for a bio med degree, 4 for a masters and 5 for PhD

5 points awarded for your clinical experience is (1-5)

5 points awarded for your volunteer experience (1-5)

5 points award for your personal statement (1-5)

They will look at your HPAT if you’re boarder line to be called for an interview. Trinity do not look at any references because they think they’re too bias. Have about 7-8 places

I RCSI will only consider you based off your HPAT score. They will have a cut off point (usually around 130) and any candidate who secures a higher score will be called to summit further information (statement, CV, references ect). Have about 15 places for mature

Hi there
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the CAO personal statement section. TCD have their own application process, so they pretty much omit the CAO one. RCSI also have you write a personal statement if you secure enough points from the HPAT.

TCD call candidates for an interview based of their ranking system.

5 points awarded based on your education. 1 for leaving cert, 2 for a degree, 3 for a bio med degree, 4 for a masters and 5 for PhD

5 points awarded for your clinical experience is (1-5)

5 points awarded for your volunteer experience (1-5)

5 points award for your personal statement (1-5)

They will look at your HPAT if you’re boarder line to be called for an interview. Trinity do not look at any references because they think they’re too bias. Have about 7-8 places

I RCSI will only consider you based off your HPAT score. They will have a cut off point (usually around 130) and any candidate who secures a higher score will be called to summit further information (statement, CV, references ect). Have about 15 places for mature

Ah thanks for that - really clears things up! I had read about the 5 points system but wasn't too sure if TCD emplyed it. I'm chipping away at the two TCD 'personal statements' at the moment.

Have you also applied to both? I know of a person in RCSI doing mauture medicine and others in the GEM and regular undergrad route but I'm not too well versed on the TCD medical programme and what it's like as a mature learner (obvs apart from what I can see from their website)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FrootyWooty

Has anyone heard anything about interviews for mature med 2020 entry yet?

Anyone else get the email from RCSI in regards to submitting documents?

Anyone have any idea how much you should write for the personal statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Marshmallow18

Hi everyone!

Just found this thread. Did anyone get an email from trinity today asking for documents? Thought it was odd as they are all in my cao application. Does anyone know when they usually hold their interviews ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 niconics25

I think they ask for CV if you have not uploaded your CV in my.tcd.ie application portal. I also got an email from them to send my CV.

How many references are people sending to RCSI?

I'm submitting two references to RCSI. I have submitted my CV to TCD... still heard nothing back.

And I haven't heard anything from UCC.

Has anyone received any further updates on their application?

I'm submitting two references to RCSI. I have submitted my CV to TCD... still heard nothing back.

I have not heard from TCD. Has anyone received from the colleges?

• Advertisement

niconics25 wrote: »

Haven’t heard from Trinity either. They are experiencing delays, so we should hear this week.
    Just received an email from RCSI at 6pm offering me an interview for next week.

Haven’t heard from Trinity either. They are experiencing delays, so we should hear this week.
    Just received an email from RCSI at 6pm offering me an interview for next week.

Congrats! Same here.

Nothing from TCD yet either, perhaps by the end of the week?

Congrats! Same here.

Nothing from TCD yet either, perhaps by the end of the week?

Oh brilliant, congrats to you too.

Hopefully we hear something from TCD soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tynanma

Hi all ! Just found this thread ! I have RCSI interview next week and still haven’t heard from trinity , they asked for my cv over a month ago !

Hi everyone!

Just found this thread. Did anyone get an email from trinity today asking for documents? Thought it was odd as they are all in my cao application. Does anyone know when they usually hold their interviews ?

Thanks
    I got email asking for documents but haven’t heard anything since !

How are people feeling for the RCSI interview next week?

Also, still haven’t heard anything from TCD.

How are people feeling for the RCSI interview next week?

Also, still haven’t heard anything from TCD.

Haven’t heard anything from TCD either ! Heard from UCC I’ve interview with them Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 13 conordarcy123

Hey,

I had my RCSI interview this morning, pretty nerve-wracking.
    Any ideas as to when we will hear back from them?

Hey,

Well done - you can breathe a sigh of reluef! I have mine tomorrow morning. How did you find the line of questioning - it seems as though it is be quite informal almost.

Apparently we hear back quite soon (typically a week after the interviews) from the college directly and the CAO offer officially follows through in Round A offers in July I believe.

• Advertisement

Hey,

I had mine this morning too , think I waffled a lot but they were so nice , so hard to know as it was so informal and like a chat

What backgrounds have you folks got?
    I have a pretty heavy psychology one (BA, H.Dip, PG. Cert, MA)

I’ve a medical background in oncology myself

Hi everyone , trinity interview emails should be out today

How have you guys found the interviews so far? I had my RCSI interview Monday and UCC this morning. It's hard to say how they went for me! Any ideas when we hear about UCC decisions? RCSI will be sending out offers end of next week!

How have you guys found the interviews so far? I had my RCSI interview Monday and UCC this morning. It's hard to say how they went for me! Any ideas when we hear about UCC decisions? RCSI will be sending out offers end of next week!

I was happy with my RCSI one I think. It’s a bit hard to gauge since it was so informal, however they did praise my application a few times and felt I was able to answer all the questions. Although, I may have waffled on a bit though.

I definitely felt I waffled a bit too. I think it's a normal feeling to have after an interview. I just hope I came across efficiently.
    Waiting another week for results is going to be nerve-wracking...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

I am still hoping that RCSI might start ringing the successful candidates on Monday.... the suspense is killing me! Does anyone know much about what slant interviews by TCD might take? The time allocated seems even shorter than RCSI (15 mins maximum is what they have stated). Their 5 point system doesn't explain why I have been offered an interview as I have no masters or biomedical degree and don't think I included any volunteer roles in my rather hurried application to them.

Also has anyone found out the number of TCD or RCSI places available? My friend went to the rcsi mature open day and says she was told that 5 of the places have already been taken by defferals from last year. I thought TCD only had 3 places but sometimes offer more- might both colleges pop an more places to account for fall in revenue from international students or are they restricted from doing so by the state who perhaps part fund mature students?

Alanna MH wrote: »
    I am still hoping that RCSI might start ringing the successful candidates on Monday.... the suspense is killing me! Does anyone know much about what slant interviews by TCD might take? The time allocated seems even shorter than RCSI (15 mins maximum is what they have stated). Their 5 point system doesn't explain why I have been offered an interview as I have no masters or biomedical degree and don't think I included any volunteer roles in my rather hurried application to them.

Also has anyone found out the number of TCD or RCSI places available? My friend went to the rcsi mature open day and says she was told that 5 of the places have already been taken by defferals from last year. I thought TCD only had 3 places but sometimes offer more- might both colleges pop an more places to account for fall in revenue from international students or are they restricted from doing so by the state who perhaps part fund mature students?

33 people were interviewed by RCS and they have 15 places. So we have a 45% of getting in. Trinity interview around 15 people and offer around 7/8 places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

33 people were interviewed by RCS and they have 15 places. So we have a 45% of getting in. Trinity interview around 15 people and offer around 7/8 places.

Good to know Ciara. Any idea what kind of questions TCD might ask? Well done on the RCSI one it sounds like you did well- I got no such compliments on my application and felt I did most of the talking which is possibly not a great sign!

Advertisement