Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Statement from Ryanair said they weren't working the next day.
    Malaga appeared to be the nearest base/location "convenient".

Another round of AGB would be helpful at this stage including simple things like coding the website to tell people that seat 11A might not have a window, a dyson type battery vacuumn cleaner to hoover up crisps from the floor. a quick look over facebook and twitter could tell them where they are failing on things which are within their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It’s unacceptable for any airline crew to have to sleep on the floor of a crew room overnight, I understand there were extreme circumstances but it really isn’t an excuse. It’s just another example of bad management which stems from the general attitude Ryanair has towards its staff. It’s even worse if these crew members were expected to work the next day.

As for the photo itself, I have no doubt it was somewhat staged to make a point but that doesn’t take away from the fact they had to stay there.

Clearly there are some very unhappy people working at Ryanair right now.

I think you are spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I actually think that regardless of circumstances, that picture is hurting Ryanair.

- First it comforts their image of a company which doesn’t care for its employees (and again, any attempt to justify this is likely an excuse for simply not having done enough to sort them out, I absolutely don’t believe there was no way to accommodate them).
    - Second it will get some people to question their safety practices if they left their crew sleep on a hard floor which probably didn’t leave them very fresh the next morning (I understand that crew might now have been flying the next day, but this is too hard to verify and will be ignored by most people who see the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ryanair exposes fake photo of cabin crew sleeping in crew room. Watch video here:

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1052559295718539264

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Ryanair exposes fake photo of cabin crew sleeping in crew room. Watch video here:

Looking at the picture it was obvious it was somehow staged (as some people on this thread had already suggested). It was probably childish, borderline dishonest, and amateur communication on the part of the crew but on the other hand to be fair it got their point accross as we are now talking about what happened whereas it would probably otherwise have been ignored.

Going passed this tangent the question remains: was the crew indeed asked to sleep in that office (rhe answer seems to be yes) and why? (no convincing justification has been provided)

And I’d now add another question: is it legal in there (or ethical) to have cctv in your staff room *and release the recording to the public without consent of the people who appear on it*? I am not sure what the answer is but between GDPR and various labour/privacy laws it might be open to challenge.

So not sure Ryanair is making itself a favour with releasing this, both in terms of public image and legal consequences (and while some people support them the feedback on their tweet is not exactly overwhelmingly positive).

On the point of staging the photo I saw a tweet containing a screenshot of a promoted tweet with the text "promoted tweet" encircled; the person was making the point that the tweet in which the picture was staged was promoted.
    People pay to promote tweets. People must be motivated in order to pay to promote tweets.
    I can't find the tweet at the moment amongst the thousands of other tweets and retweets which include this picture. I think it has been deleted now that it has served its purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Legality of the CCTV - who knows. But id imagine if its not in a toilet its fair game. Id *guess* they consulted their legal team first before doing so. But it doesn't look well either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Of course it was staged but that doesn't change the fact that they were forced to stay the night in a room that seems to be lacking a lot of furniture.
    Full hotels doesn't cut it. There are ~1500 hotels/guest houses within a 20 mile radius of Malaga Airport and occupancy rates in October are around 50%.

This just highlights the fact that Ryanair continue to have an unhealthy relationship with its staff. That or they are clearly not resourced enough to cope in these situations.

GBX wrote: »
    Legality of the CCTV - who knows. But id imagine if its not in a toilet its fair game. Id *guess* they consulted their legal team first before doing so. But it doesn't look well either way.

I would assume they checked with their legal
    team as well, but still it doesn’t feel right to me.

Again I have no legal qualification and it is just my personal understanding, but a video recording showing someone who can potentially be personally identified at their workplace seems like it definitly matches the GDPR definition of personal data of employees to me, which an employer has a duty to protect.

• Advertisement

The top 4 currently most popular replies on the tweet (I picked 4 as this is as much as I can fit on my phone’s display, no other reason :-)):

a269ns.jpg

Actually summarises the aspects we covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

That tweet from Ryanair just further exposes the contempt Ryanair has for its staff. It was pretty obvious the photo was staged to prove a point but that point still stands, these individuals were expected to remain in an airport overnight by their employers. That is unacceptable. 

The vindictive nature of management will do nothing to ease the toxicity within the company.

That tweet from Ryanair just further exposes the contempt Ryanair has for its staff. It was pretty obvious the photo was staged to prove a point but that point still stands, these individuals were expected to remain in an airport overnight by their employers. That is unacceptable. 

The vindictive nature of management will do nothing to ease the toxicity within the company.
    Do you think the average person seeing that video clip would agree with you or rather would they see a group of employees intentionally trying to damage the business of their employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

rivegauche wrote: »
    Do you think the average person seeing that video clip would agree with you or rather would they see a group of employees intentionally trying to damage the business of their employer?

I think in this scenario, they're being asked to sleep in inadequate accommodation and that's the basic underlying problem. Staging the photo doesn't look good for them; but neither does having them there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think the average person seeing that video clip would see a group of employees being treated in a shameful and totally unacceptable manner and your suggestion that they are trying to damage the business of their employer is as fanciful and troll-like as most of your posts.

https://twitter.com/peterbellew/status/1051934551092674560

Additional information but this won't satisfy any of you:
    Short notice for more crews that would ever normally be in one base away from home base at any time.
    42 hotels contacted.
    festival weekend.

What we know is that in what can only fairly be described as exceptional circumstances staff were left stranded and some of those staff out of malice/frustration/stupidity(delete as appropriate) used it as an opportunity to try to damage their employer.

All you have to do is read the replies to the tweet from Ryanair. Seems pretty much everyone was thinking along the same lines as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://twitter.com/peterbellew/status/1051934551092674560

Additional information but this won't satisfy any of you:
    Short notice for more crews that would ever normally be in one base away from home base at any time.
    42 hotels contacted.
    festival weekend.

What we know is that in what can only fairly be described as exceptional circumstances staff were left stranded and some of those staff out of malice/frustration/stupidity(delete as appropriate) used it as an opportunity to try to damage their employer.

What you think you know.......not necessarily a widely accepted version of the facts, but carry on anyway..... indulge your anti-Ryanair worker agenda here if it suits you.

There's little reaction to your posts now as most seem to be ignoring them in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Where where the crew based ,
    Are they an Irish based crew or German?

Seem to be based in Porto which was closed due to storm from what I can determine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Infraction given to rivegauche for inflammatory post about others while at the same time claiming to be the target of a personal attack themselves.

‘Trolling’ others by any member here will result in a ban from A&A.

Ryanair's very own Peter Bellew (COO) has said the lounge opened to crew and passengers at 05:15 so the crews must have spent much more than just "a short time" in the crew room before being moved. Either way, an airport lounge is still inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Press Release from the Portuguese Union:

"Upon arrival to Malaga airport, the 24 crew (8 pilots and 16 cabin crew) were placed in a room, without the minimum rest facilities.

The 24 crew members were there since 01h30 until 06:00 (local time) without access to food, drinks and even a place to sit down, as there were only 8 seats available for the 24 crew.

They had no other choice, as the photo illustrates, than to attempt to rest on the room’s floor.

Around 06h00 the 24 Crew members were placed in the airport lounge, where they stayed for more than 4 hours but still with no access to food or drinks.

We point out that, in these situations, it is the legal responsibility of the Airline to provide suitable accommodation, namely a hotel room, so that crew can perform their rest under the national and European legal requirements, in order to be able to operate the following duty safely.

At 13h35 (local) Ryanair decided to perform a non-commercial flight (without passengers but with all 24 crew members on board) to Porto, where it landed at 13h40 (Portuguese time), over 24 hours after the original report time, without any adequate rest.

It is regrettable and inconceivable that, in the 21st century, we observe this kind of events where we can verify that Ryanair operates without any respect for their employees and their customers, who were also left stranded in the airport terminal, in the highly regulated aviation sector.

SNPVAC will produce a formal complaint to all the relevant civil aviation authorities and we expect an urgent and robust intervention so that events like this won’t happen again.

This episode also demonstrates the reasons that took the workers in Ryanair to an industrial dispute and, if there were any doubts, everyone can witness the way Ryanair treats their customers and employees."

If it is proven that the staff was never provided with facilities to sleep and was still requested to operate an airplane the next day, there could be much more to it than questions around the company treating its staff with respect. There could also be safety implications.

It is clear that the staff did not work the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

They had no other choice, as the photo illustrates, than to attempt to rest on the room’s floor.
    This is a ridiculous Putinesque deception. The photo was quite obviously staged. They were caught rotten on the CCTV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

EASA regs have specific limits on duty hours and rest time away from base. The duty on the day that they were stranded is the salient point. Not operating the following day has little to no impact on the duty on the day of the diversions.
    A ‘non-commercial flight’ the next day would have to have operating crew onboard apart from those 24 stranded crew.
    Suitable accommodation is to be provided by the operator (meaning Ryanair)
    In this case flat rest and access to drinks and refreshments is required.

Question: would you be happy to have your daughter/son sleep in a plastic chair after a long day, in a room with 23 others, with no refreshments solely because she wasn’t working the next day?

I wouldn't be happy to have a family member in a bare room for a period of time after a full days work but after an extreme weather event causing a diversion, your employer trying to get rooms with 42 hotels in the depths of the night, arranging a lounge once open and then flying in a pilot from the UK and using a local pilot to ferry the staff back home on a shuttle non-work flight I would find it hard to say that the employer didn't make a reasonable if ultimately less than effective attempt to address the issue.

Maybe I’m misreading the press release of the union but I am not crystal clear about this:

“At 13h35 (local) Ryanair decided to perform a non-commercial flight (without passengers but with all 24 crew members on board) to Porto, where it landed at 13h40 (Portuguese time), over 24 hours after the original report time, without any adequate rest.”

I’m not sure whether they are saying that these 24 crew members where all on board purely a passengers, or that some of them where actually operating the airplane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Two pilots were flown in from other bases to return the 24 crew members back to Porto. It was not a revenue flight.

However, once aboard the aircraft, the crew asked the operating captain, "Could we open the aircraft bar and heat up some sandwiches, and have some soft drinks?"
    He reportedly called Ops in Dublin and was told "No, they can't!"

Ryanair, always getting worse... :(

Advertisement