Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin-Brandenburg Airport

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lapin wrote: »
    WTF ? :confused:

In general you're all shortarses here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BER and SXF are the same place just effectively a different terminal, same runway(s)

There is talk of keeping SXF for LCC, biz jets etc
    SXF will be partially demolished and converted into the government terminal. The Luftwaffe will then reassign its government jets to there (they are currently based in Cologne/Bonn and have to fly to TXL to collect the Chancellor, ministers etc. before setting off-pretty inefficient!). That's the plan anyway.

Edit: SXF used to have 2 parallel runways (too close together for simultaneous operations) but the northern one was closed about over a decade ago and partially ploughed up to make way for the A113 Autobahn. The airport has been running on the remaining single runway ever since. This will become the northern runway for BER and there will be an additional southern runway which will allow simultaneous operations, like at Munich (mid field airport).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

murphaph wrote: »
    <snip>This will become the northern runway for BER and there will be an additional southern runway which will allow simultaneous operations, like at Munich (mid field airport).
    but unlike Berlin, Munich opened on time and on budget and the garguantuan operation to move everything not nailed down across town overnight went without a hitch. So good that they got awards for the logistical feat!
    http://www.munich-airport.de/en/micro/20jahre/umzug/index.jsp

I dont know what they are at in Berlin thats its so late and over budget.

And yesterday it was anounced that it'll not open before the end of 2016.
    Aparantly someone forgot to go round the local residents and give them extra acoustic insulation as was supposed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Well if you believe that then fair play.
    The photo itself doesn't take long. The queuing did.

And when returning to Dublin you're forced, inappropriately, to get into a passport queue as CTA and other flights are not segregated. The LHR procedure is there as a consequence of the absence of photo ID requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's probably a Schengen thing. UK and Ireland are the only EU countries not in the Schengen zone, so passports have to be checked. Some of the newer Polish airports I've been to have a couple of segregated gates at the end of the terminal for these flights.

but unlike Berlin, Munich opened on time and on budget and the garguantuan operation to move everything not nailed down across town overnight went without a hitch. So good that they got awards for the logistical feat!
    http://www.munich-airport.de/en/micro/20jahre/umzug/index.jsp

I dont know what they are at in Berlin thats its so late and over budget.

And yesterday it was anounced that it'll not open before the end of 2016.
    Aparantly someone forgot to go round the local residents and give them extra acoustic insulation as was supposed to be done.
    Yeah it's a balls alright, very embarrassing for the capital city. I love MUC. Great airport. Had the privilege of visiting the control tower there (and also the ATC centre nearby, which handles ATC for southern Germany and parts of Austria and Switzerland.).

Schengen countries are obliged to check the passports of those leaving the Schengen Zone but are obviously prohibited from checking passports of people travelling inside Schengen...so where else could you check passports so selectively if not at the gate? It's not just German airports that have this set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm sure MI5 have better things to be worrying about than keeping photos of every CTA passenger ad nauseum.

The location of passport control booths depends upon how individual airports are designed. Some airports (such as Zurich, Copenhagen and Oslo) have separate Schengen/non-Schengen departure areas, whilst others don't.

It depends upon space availability and terminal design.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

What makes it worse is that Schönefeld has stopped allowing Aer Lingus gold circle members use the Junkers Lounge. In fairness it is a rubbish Lounge but at least it’s air conditioned and away from the madness that is Schönefeld Airport in the summer!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm sure MI5 have better things to be worrying about than keeping photos of every CTA passenger ad nauseum.

Given the revelations of the last few months, I'm not sure that's true. If GCHQ want to keep copies of peoples (mostly naked) webchats on Yahoo, MI5 could reasonably want to keep photos of travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Another year, another delay "Current estimates suggest that the airport will open in 2018 or 2019, at the latest."

The place is just becoming a money pit at this stage and Schönefeld is only getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I assume that Tegel will close also when the new airport eventually opens?

Yeah, both existing airports are to close when then new EDDB comes into operation. The thrid, Templehof has already been closed for a few years and is now a nice public park with the runways and terminal building still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Fred Swanson wrote:

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson View Post
    I assume that Tegel will close also when the new airport eventually opens?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/thank-you-tegel-berliners-bid-emotional-farewell-to-cold-war-airport/ar-BB1aOo5I?ocid=msedgdhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Tegel is technically closed as today, but is held in reserve for a few months in case anything goes wrong

Schönefeld is still very much in business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

And now they're talking about mothballing BER T5 (otherwise known as SXF) for a year.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/11/24/berlin-airports-terminal-5-expected-to-close-in-march-2021/

Good news for the customer experience, if not necessarily for the low fare airlines.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Noxegon wrote: »
    And now they're talking about mothballing BER T5 (otherwise known as SXF) for a year.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/11/24/berlin-airports-terminal-5-expected-to-close-in-march-2021/

Good news for the customer experience, if not necessarily for the low fare airlines.

Exactly, having previously flown from both SXF and later TXL as a passenger, they were old airports and really felt like bus terminals, I deplored SXF and similarly hated the C gates at TXL.

Plenty of capacity for BER to cater to all traffic at the new main Terminal, potentially in better times the old SXF can be redeveloped as an LCC Terminal - In of course a timeline that is met. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I suspect that SXF won’t reopen in a year no matter what they might be saying at the moment.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement