Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

The above was amended last year to include Military Police vehicles regarding blues.

5700454545_85522a5bdb_z.jpg

Would I be right in saying that you can have whatever colour lights on your vehicle that you like, so long as you don't use them/they're not able to function?

Could it be a case that the lightbar on the ambulance doesn't actually work, and the car will be used for promotional purposes? (if it took time between the lights and battenburg going on, it could be a work in progress? Perhaps they'll be decaling the name of the company onto it, and just using it to get attention, rather than actually as an ambulance?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Hooch wrote: »
    I wouldn't think its an official NAS vehicle. If your working, might be an interesting one to stop and question. ;)

I would have loved to but I'm gone from the job mate, stupid knee is gone completely. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6744298161_ef09b05b98_z.jpg

These would be class patrol cars for the guards. Although I know of guards who say the mondeo is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Tyron Jara wrote: »

These would be class patrol cars for the guards. Although I know of guards who say the mondeo is perfect.

Indeed, they cannot even get Mondeos now, neverlone 5 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

People would complain about wanton public spending if they were using BMWs.

Those 5-series are armed response. That's what the yellow dots on the windows signify.

The standard police car in London is a diesel Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Those 5-series are armed response. That's what the yellow dots on the windows signify.

Standard police in london is BMW 3 or 5 series as Area car last i heard, astra is like a compol car here fiesta and focus 1.4 they are way better funded than the gardas

When the last tender went out there was offer from BMW supposedly the offer was better if not than toyota

POGAN wrote: »

Standard police in london is BMW 3 or 5 series as Area car last i heard, astra is like a compol car here fiesta and focus 1.4 they are way better funded than the gardas

When the last tender went out there was offer from BMW supposedly the offer was better if not than toyota

I stand to be corrected but I think the standard response car is the Astra but there also tends to be 3-series as well. I am not sure what the difference is but they are very much in the minority.

I have seen emergencies and it is an Astra which shows up. I do believe that new Focus and Hyundai i30s are used as well as Astras.

I have seen grey Astras with no blue lights but a blue Metropolitan Police logo on the side. Maybe that is what you are referring to.

The armed vehicles I have seen have been 5 Series or Mercedes Vitos. Traffic Police in 5 Series estates. Standard police vans are swb Transits and then the riot squad travel in huge Merc Sprinters which look like ambulances.

I stand to be corrected but I think the standard response car is the Astra but there also tends to be 3-series as well. I am not sure what the difference is but they are very much in the minority.

I have seen emergencies and it is an Astra which shows up. I do believe that new Focus and Hyundai i30s are used as well as Astras.

I have seen grey Astras with no blue lights but a blue Metropolitan Police logo on the side. Maybe that is what you are referring to.

The armed vehicles I have seen have been 5 Series or Mercedes Vitos. Traffic Police in 5 Series estates. Standard police vans are swb Transits and then the riot squad travel in huge Merc Sprinters which look like ambulances.

UK forces employ a tiered system of driver training and cars, starting with panda cars which would be ford fiesta or similar (not permitted to do blue light runs as such), then area cars which would be astra, focus, 3 series etc (allowed to do blue light runs but not allowed to chase), then response cars for high speed chases etc, which are bigger BMW's big volvos etc.

source wrote: »

UK forces employ a tiered system of driver training and cars, starting with panda cars which would be ford fiesta or similar (not permitted to do blue light runs as such), then area cars which would be astra, focus, 3 series etc (allowed to do blue light runs but not allowed to chase), then response cars for high speed chases etc, which are bigger BMW's big volvos etc.

Well, anyway, the class of vehicle doing the bread and butter work in the UK is the same if not worse as that in Ireland. Of course I'd expect theirs to be newer and with lower mileage but when they are brand spanking new, there's nothing in it.

The 5-series you see in the link above is the London equivalent of a Garda ERU Landcruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

I always pondered about that legislation. How it refers to blue lights being used by organisations specifically..with the exception of AGS where it specifically cites "Members of AGS" as opposed to "An Garda Síochána" in the course of their duties.

Should a member of AGS be required to use their own personal vehicle for transport (whilst claiming mileage, of course) would that not allow a member of AGS to use Blues?

The 5-series you see in the link above is the London equivalent of a Garda ERU Landcruiser.

Not quite, the response cars answer 999 emergency calls, ie calls where the officers need to get there in a hurry, they're not necessarily armed response units. Solid dot says unarmed unit and an astrix means an armed unit.

Response cars would be first responders to assaults, intruders-on calls, things of that nature. (calls that respond some fancy driving to get there as quick as possible)

Not quite, the response cars answer 999 emergency calls, ie calls where the officers need to get there in a hurry, they're not necessarily armed response units. Solid dot says unarmed unit and an astrix means an armed unit.

Response cars would be first responders to assaults, intruders-on calls, things of that nature. (calls that respond some fancy driving to get there as quick as possible)
    Definitely.

Solid dot on the roof, yes, but the yellow dots on the windows mean the occupants are armed and are always accompanied by the asterisk on the roof. The only other thing I have seen on the roof has been a triangle for a dog-carrying car or van.

The only 5 series I have ever seen have been armed response, traffic or diplomatic protection (red paintwork but also with yellow dots and asterisks).

The only 5 series I have ever seen have been armed response, traffic or diplomatic protection (red paintwork but also with yellow dots and asterisks).

Second photo in the second post in the vehicle gallery.

Second photo in the second post in the vehicle gallery.

First photo in the first post. And I shall repeat, the 5-series in the link above is the London equivalent of an ERU Land Cruiser.

What am I supposed to look at in the second photo of the second post?

First photo in the first post. And I shall repeat, the 5-series in the link above is the London equivalent of an ERU Land Cruiser.

Yes but you then said that you've never seen a standard 5 series that wasn't an ERV, traffic or DPG car, what you're supposed to be seeing in the second pic in the second post is a 5 series with a solid orange spot on the roof and not belonging to traffic or DPG, as can be seen from the orange stripe down the side.

My link to that post was to show you the response version of that car, that is all.

Yes but you then said that you've never seen a standard 5 series that wasn't an ERV, traffic or DPG car, what you're supposed to be seeing in the second pic in the second post is a 5 series with a solid orange spot on the roof and not belonging to traffic or DPG, as can be seen from the orange stripe down the side.

My link to that post was to show you the response version of that car, that is all.

That's a 3-series. I've definitely seen those doing standard response calls.

Anyway, I haven't seen any that aren't those three types but that does not mean they do not exist. Or maybe have done in the past. But they can't be very common as I do not believe I have seen any and I tend to keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Hi guys if this is against any privacy rules please feel free to let me know :) I was in Dublin City Centre the other day and saw (only for a split second) some sort of unmarked 4x4 with blue lights and sirens. It wasn't a BMW like what the President has (I think), rather a more 'normal' car as such. Hope you might be able to shed some light :)

Yes they are:) However this is not http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4134/5440422648_c2dcdc434e_b.jpg and either is this http://www.police999.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/normal_CSC_3873.JPG.

The orange star on the roof is armed police patrol and the orange circle in area car. They have smaller patrol cars too.

The Irish patrol cars are great too we need more of these http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Silver_garda_car.jpg and these in silver http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5464788022_989f3ed225.jpg. I love the light bar on those.

Yes they are:) However this is not http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4134/5440422648_c2dcdc434e_b.jpg and either is this http://www.police999.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10019/normal_CSC_3873.JPG.

The orange star on the roof is armed police patrol and the orange circle in area car. They have smaller patrol cars too.

The Irish patrol cars are great too we need more of these http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Silver_garda_car.jpg and these in silver http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5464788022_989f3ed225.jpg. I love the light bar on those.

Is that Met 4x4 an airport police vehicle? I presume it is because of the amber beacons on it, enabling it to drive on the apron / runway. In the UK you see Ambulance Zafiras with amber beacons for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Is that Met 4x4 an airport police vehicle? I presume it is because of the amber beacons on it, enabling it to drive on the apron / runway. In the UK you see Ambulance Zafiras with amber beacons for that reason.

Yep, according to the interweb it's based at Heathrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Not really a popular opinion with members of ASG although at this stage they'll take anything.

Not really a popular opinion with members of ASG although at this stage they'll take anything.
    Actually from my expierence and suprise some think they are great. Let me just tell you I thought id never here a garda say the cars were good but I did.Still suprised by it.:/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gemm 112

KKV you post is exactly way the company is using this car i know both ppl involved with this. and BUZZMAN. i think you do to even tho all your info about them is not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SARBOY

Gemm 112 wrote: »
    KKV you post is exactly way the company is using this car i know both ppl involved with this. and BUZZMAN. i think you do to even tho all your info about them is not correct

Hi We'll just have to wait and see if the blues twos on the mondeo are for promotional purposes. My opinion is I doubt if they are..All very misleading in the way they promote there company with a car all marked up as an ambulance! Wannabees...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Actually from my expierence and suprise some think they are great. Let me just tell you I thought id never here a garda say the cars were good but I did.Still suprised by it.:/

They're equipped well and are comfy cos they're new, so some folk like them, but they don't handle anything like as good as the mondeos, and certainly won't age well, like the old avensises they'll be rubbish after 200k of hard driving which can't be avoided...

Granted though I do like the look of them...

d3exile wrote: »

Even the old avensis looked well. Pity the performance didn't match the looks!

d3exile wrote: »
    They're equipped well and are comfy cos they're new, so some folk like them, but they don't handle anything like as good as the mondeos, and certainly won't age well, like the old avensises they'll be rubbish after 200k of hard driving which can't be avoided...

Are you a guard? They dont hndle as well as the mondeos were the exact words a guard said to me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Folks I have deleted any posts that refer directly to the company in regards the Mondeo being marked up as we don't want them to be getting free advertising.

Im sure some Garda will one day take issue with it and "look after it"

So, back on with the discussion:)

• Advertisement

Is there any traffic cor bikers on with us??If so what are the bikes like? Do they have any special modifications? http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAID4FTMaa_adELDSobh9M0mNOKnJvHinR1AHi6SljzmjDFSyX00ldNWE9PQ This old bike brings back fond memories for me. My next door neighbour was a traffic guard. This is the type of bike he had.

Advertisement