Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

fergal.b wrote: »
    It was all painted when I got it and I sanded it down to the aluminium then working with 800-1000-1500-2000 wet paper to bring up the polished finish.
    I will have a look at that Alodine as the exhaust tips will be getting wet a lot and will also have heat to deal with.
    Thanks.

Wow that's impressive, if that's the case I say so with your gut feeling it's probably gonna be grand :D

That's interesting though, maybe when you get a highly polished finish like that it closes over all the pores and isn't inclined to corrode away. I must look into it :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    Wow that's impressive, if that's the case I say so with your gut feeling it's probably gonna be grand :D

That's interesting though, maybe when you get a highly polished finish like that it closes over all the pores and isn't inclined to corrode away. I must look into it :)

I also give it a wax so that would help to seal it up too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I gave the engine it's first run since the rebuild it just needs a bit of a tuneup when I fit the breather pipes and flame arrester but all in all I was just happy it started :D Here a little vid.

th_720p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

That sounds so sweet... it'll be a beast of a craft, can't wait to see the complete package...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

Fergal, where is the water coming from?

The sound is stunning. Its like a beast on a big chain waiting to be unleashed.

• Advertisement

As you can see in the photo I had a hose going to it but it sucked so much water that it flattened it so I had to fill a tank and let it drink from that.

She's a beast alright, just not sure how she will like living in a 15 foot floating rabbit hutch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Great thread, lovely stuff Fergalb

As the weather looks good I decided to do the fiberglassing, I first lay out the cloth and and let it settle over night
    2011-09-27151035.jpg
    2011-09-27151054.jpg

Just doing one side at a time I am able to get 4 coats of resin on in a day with a 3 hour gap between each coat, when the boat is done it will be washed and sanded and given another filler coat or two before I paint and varnish it.
    2011-09-28115101.jpg

2011-09-28145640.jpg
    2011-09-28145655.jpg

What cloth are you using? And why does it disappear from image #3 onwards?

I am using 4oz woven cloth on the sides and 6oz on the bottom, the 4oz will go invisible leaving the sides with a natural wood finish.:D

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    I am using 4oz woven cloth on the sides and 6oz on the bottom, the 4oz will go invisible leaving the sides with a natural wood finish.:D

What 4oz in gsm?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Remember the cloth is literally made of glass, dnme. It looks white when it's dry because the refractive index of glass is very different from that of air, but similar to that of the resin, so the light doesn't change direction as it passes from the resin to the glass - ergo the glass is invisible once it's encapsulated in the resin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Looks great fergal,love the photos keep em coming,dont be afraid to give me a shout when you need to turn her im just down the road ;).

moonshadow wrote: »
    Looks great fergal,love the photos keep em coming,dont be afraid to give me a shout when you need to turn her im just down the road ;).

Cheers, any chance you could lift a V8 and gearbox in as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

That's one fine piece of furniture you're building :D

It's just somewhere to rest your drinks with a v8 cocktail shaker :D

South-Lake-Tahoe4BedroomsSleeps10_11846562961291.jpg

Well thats the fiberglassing on the hull done, I used a laser level to mark out where I think the water line might be on the bow and put masking tape along it and lay the cloth over it then when the first coat of resin set I cut along the tape with a blade giving me a clean line to paint to, the true water line can't be marked out till she gets wet but it should not be too far off level "I hope"

2011-10-05105012.jpg
    2011-10-05105023.jpg

When this sets it will get sanded down and then another filler coat of resin sand that down and add the primer then another fine sanding and paint and sand and paint and so on same with the sides except with schooner gold varnish this is one part of boat building I hate but the finish is all in the preparation so it has to be done.

2011-10-05152828.jpg

First coat of primer I will sand this down with 600 paper and do two more coats and sand again.
    2011-11-14151648.jpg
    First coat of paint "roll and tipped" I will do another 3 or 4 coats with a light sanding in between then on the last coat I will sand it with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, wet and then rubbing compound. There is a white waterline around where I think it should be but it may need adjusting when I get her in the water.
    2011-11-18133939.jpg
    2011-11-18133919.jpg

great work fergal, what brand of paint are you using on it if you don't mind me asking

• Advertisement

breghall wrote: »
    great work fergal, what brand of paint are you using on it if you don't mind me asking

Thanks, it's "TOPLAC" by international

when you rolled and tipped did you find that the toplac did not level out smooth and that you could see light brush strokes when set?

Only asking as I am currently finding this problem and even thinning it 5-7% won't get rid of brush marks. I have tried changing several brushes and still no difference.

I'd leave them there if I knew that 1500 or 2000 grit and compound would remove them. Can you get a good gloss looking shine after compounding TOPLAC ?

I use a roller first and as I go along I just give it a very light rub "tip" with one of these foam brushes thats gets rid of any dimples and lines from the roller I don't thin the paint.

foam_brush.jpg

As with my last boat I will end up with a mirror finish :D

004.jpg

foam brush ! i'll definetely give it a go, am not too pleased with results from the regular bristle ones.

thanks Fergal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Wow!
    Great to see an expert at work!
    Well done!Super stuff, can't wait to see the finished article!

muracan wrote: »
    Wow!
    Great to see an expert at work!
    Well done!Super stuff, can't wait to see the finished article!

Thanks, I hope to start work stripping down the trailer next week and getting ready to flip the boat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

One question....how will the fiberglass "gloss coat" gel so well to the timber considering that you coated her outside with moisture in the air?Surely it will separate over time?

When I wet out the fiberglass cloth the resin also seeps into the wood blending the two together, I also turn on a 500w light under the boat that warms the hull up to help it cure the resin also heats up as it sets with the chemical reaction so no problem with moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

what type off filler are you using on top off the fiberglass i need to cover a patch on the hull?

• Advertisement

davlacey wrote: »
    what type off filler are you using on top off the fiberglass i need to cover a patch on the hull?

Hi davlacey any filling I do I use west system 405 micro balloons mixed with epoxy resin, if you are not painting your hull you can also get a white filler to mix in or you can buy a gelcoat repair kit.

Advertisement