Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair product for fuzzy curly hair

• 25-11-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Wondering what people might suggest for hair that just grows out, curly hair, very fuzzy & dry looking hair that just grows out & up. Part grey, part light brown.

I used to keep it short all over, like blade 2 or 3, but I am thinking I would like to try not cutting it for a while.

I like the way my hair looks after a shower, darker and settled/under control. As soon as it dires, it does its own thing.

Tried using blue dax, what I like about it is that it dampens it down and does make it look a bit darker, a little bit of wettish look.

What I don't like about dax is how greasy it makes the hair.

Any ideas for products I could try? Thanks!

(I'm not exactly a "metro man" so never thought I would post here for advice on hair products! :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The stigma of having awful fuzzy hair follows me onto boards, not one fellow sufferer amongst you fine people that might be able to help??!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Have you tried the argan oil based products?
    In small orange bottles.

Shwartzkopf sell one for around €6 I think, but Lidl do a version too.

I like them. It's a very light oil, rather than a gel or cream.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Have you tried the argan oil based products?
    In small orange bottles.

Shwartzkopf sell one for around €6 I think, but Lidl do a version too.

I like them. It's a very light oil, rather than a gel or cream.

Thanks, I'll try one of those!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Try a curling cream or curling gel, a little goes a very long way. You'll find it with other styling products, not necessarily with the "mens" stuff. Hair products don't need to be gendered!

On damp hair, get a small blob on your palm and rub together, then scrunch in to your hair. Leave to air dry or if you prefer a hairdryer, use a diffuser. If you're only starting to grow the hair out a 10 cent size bit of product is probably enough.

Twee. wrote: »
    Try a curling cream or curling gel, a little goes a very long way. You'll find it with other styling products, not necessarily with the "mens" stuff. Hair products don't need to be gendered!

On damp hair, get a small blob on your palm and rub together, then scrunch in to your hair. Leave to air dry or if you prefer a hairdryer, use a diffuser. If you're only starting to grow the hair out a 10 cent size bit of product is probably enough.

Thanks. Would somewhere like Supervalu or Tesco have that? Or maybe Boots? Does curling mean it curls it, or its for curly hair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

When I had long curly (frizzy) hair, I used one or two of the Aussie range. Can't be sure which ones as they have changed the packaging. Plenty of anti-frizz stuff though.

Available HERE from Boots

Thanks. Would somewhere like Supervalu or Tesco have that? Or maybe Boots? Does curling mean it curls it, or its for curly hair?

It will help it curl and settle into its natural pattern - is this what happens when it's fresh from the shower, or are you looking to style it differently? Sorry if I misunderstood! If you want to grow it out a bit you will get more of a curl.

If you want it slicked back or styled then you'll probably need to blow dry it tbh, maybe an anti-frizz product instead as mentioned.

Boots own brand curling cream is actually brilliant, under €3, pink tub.

Twee. wrote: »
    It will help it curl and settle into its natural pattern - is this what happens when it's fresh from the shower, or are you looking to style it differently? Sorry if I misunderstood! If you want to grow it out a bit you will get more of a curl.

If you want it slicked back or styled then you'll probably need to blow dry it tbh, maybe an anti-frizz product instead as mentioned.

Boots own brand curling cream is actually brilliant, under €3, pink tub.

Thanks Twee.

I suppose I'm trying to tame it. It grows out as fuzzy frizz. Bushy. What I like about it when it is wet is that its flatter, less curly and bushy, and darker colour/wet look.

I got some of that oil earlier so will try that tomorrow, see what effect it has.

I'll probably sound a bit mental now but I have curly/wavy hair and I only brush it out when wet, therefore I brush it twice a week bar the odd run of a comb at my roots :D If you are brushing while dry that'll create some frizz. If it needs a smooth over, use a wide-toothed comb to avoid dragging the hair.

With regular use hair oils can reduce overall frizziness and make your hair more manageable, stick with it even if you don't get instant results. TINY bit of product, you can always add more.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I don't know about product, half the time I dont use any and the rest of the time I blindly grab whatever is near. The one thing I do think makes a big difference is washing my hair in cold to lukewarm water. I feel like the kinda hot shower that feels real nice on your skin does terrible damage to your hair.
    I wash with cold water, and only dry it by grabbing clumps with the towel. Definitely no hair dryer and definitely no towel-head-rubbing.

It makes my hair have much more volume, its tighter and denser. Whereas If I wash with hot water it really stretches out and makes it unmanageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

You could try a leave in conditioner too, my husband and son have thick corse hair that grows up rather than down, 2 I find work for them are moogoo leave in protein shot and revlon 1 spray. Then use a cream styling product that we got in the barbers.

Advertisement