Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New scam website islandboats.co.uk

• 19-06-2020 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi all this is just to let you know that www.islandboats.co.uk is a scam site. I, and several other people in Ireland, have fallen victim to this well set up website.

I am currently fighting HSBC as these scammers use a different HSBC account number for each transaction.

This is the same gang who also use www.caravan2009.co.uk.

If you have experience with either of these 2 please drop me a message.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Wow I bought a camper van via an agent in the UK at auction in Japan in 2009, reading the irish times article makes me thing how easily I could have been scammed, even out of the initial £500.

Sorry for anybody who was taken.

It's a great camper by the way still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Tom44

Previously know as RIVER BOATS, DQ BOATS and DART BOATS,
    I've been reporting them anytime they pop up under a new name to British fraud squad.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057862697

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mike32767

They were at it again, this time using my company name, details and my personal name as a reference - all cribbed from Companies House.

Because it was my name on the registration it enabled me to seize the domain (ksmnautical.co.uk) and I've put up a holding page, but as you (@Tom44) mentioned you were keeping track of these scammers I thought I'd let you know. I did try reporting with ActionFraudUK but without details of any actual fraud I didn't get too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mike32767

I've now been in contact with two victims from mainland Europe who lost £6800 and £10900 respectively - once again, the common link is HSBC, who have opened an account in the name of my company. I've asked them to explain this. I know that HSBC did the same when the scam was being run as "islandboats.co.uk".

For future victims of this scam, when reporting to Action Fraud UK - mention case numbers NFRC201003982057 and NFRC200903928020 as related. The HSBC account opened was 404509-62089122. Perhaps note the HSBC accounts here for future (or past) frauds, that way HSBC will be able to see the pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

mike32767 wrote: »
    ...... once again, the common link is HSBC, who have opened an account in the name of my company. I've asked them to explain this........

Does not speak well for HSBC’s AML due diligence in opening accounts. As you are in the UK, if you do not get a satisfactory response next time you write to them put the FCA on copy. That would make them sit up!

mike32767 wrote: »
    They were at it again, this time using my company name, details and my personal name as a reference - all cribbed from Companies House.

Because it was my name on the registration it enabled me to seize the domain (ksmnautical.co.uk) and I've put up a holding page, but as you (@Tom44) mentioned you were keeping track of these scammers I thought I'd let you know. I did try reporting with ActionFraudUK but without details of any actual fraud I didn't get too far.

I did email your registered address with a warning months ago, but didn't hear back.

Most other firms replied and got fraudsters shut down quickly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Could be another one to look out for "Little Boat Ireland". https://boat-little.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3d2GbcNoZEVhBgy9jD9XOBVPc7WNH2JlmlxMXLUzoagLnd9Kac2mdrHOM

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

fergal.b wrote: »

A five year old would cough up something more convincing 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Some real bargains to be had there. Perhaps if they actually "sell" anything, they might put the money towards learning English?

• Advertisement

www.albamaritime.co.uk

January 2021
    Always the same site, just the name changes

Tom44 wrote: »
    www.albamaritime.co.uk

January 2021

Site is down but responds to ping its in Vilnius, Lithuania

Sites not down.
    I've sent letter to genuine owner telling them.

Tom44 wrote: »
    www.albamaritime.co.uk

January 2021

If there is a particular image they always use keep a copy of it then use google to do an image search for it. If they come back you'll find it quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bjorkraus06

Oh no! Breaks my heart reading this...
    If this is all true about Alba Maritime, then i am a new victim. I transfered money to them yesterday, i did notice few red flags but somehow i chose to ignore them because supposed owner sent me his passport and that gave me peace at the time, now because i'm not uk citizen i have no clue how real passport looks like therefore i tought nothing of it.
    This just means that they are faking passports, scamming people, stealing other company registration numbers and somehow noone can catch them...

What should i do in this situation? Is there someone who is investigating situations like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Oh no! Breaks my heart reading this...
    If this is all true about Alba Maritime, then i am a new victim. I transfered money to them yesterday, i did notice few red flags but somehow i chose to ignore them because supposed owner sent me his passport and that gave me peace at the time, now because i'm not uk citizen i have no clue how real passport looks like therefore i tought nothing of it.
    This just means that they are faking passports, scamming people, stealing other company registration numbers and somehow noone can catch them...

What should i do in this situation? Is there someone who is investigating situations like this one?

I take it that you've already been on to your bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Report the domain to the hosting provider (in this case it's OVH)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Immediately report it to your bank / credit card company, I know it's the weekend but they'll have an emergency number/contact. Also report it to the Guards, once money has been transferred an offence has been committed. The chance of getting your money back is slim but you've nothing to loose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Came across an article from the States that reminded me strongly of this thread. A useful guide to how the scammers try to trick you and if it sounds too good to be true...
    We've just learned of yet another new scam out there targeting boat shoppers. This one appears to be rooted in the Southeast, but thanks to the world wide web, its reach is global. Don't fall for it.

Here's how it begins:

Hello (name),

Thank you for writing to us regarding 2016 Avalon Ambassador Rear Lounge - 27’. We are (Catchy Business Name) Inc., a company that handles the sale of secondhand and new boats with our main office at (bogus address).

The final price for this boat is $27,000.

The boat is sold in very good working condition. Trailer included. It does not have spot hidden problems or defects.

The boat you are interested in is currently located at (another bogus address). Where exactly are you located? A city and a postal code will help us to determine the distance between us.

We can help with the transport of the boat to any location in the US. We also offer an inspection period for every boat we sell.

If you are interested to continue the purchase please reply as soon as possible so we can provide more information on how we can complete the sale.

Thank you for your consideration,
    (Catchy Business Name), Inc.

The endgame, of course, is rarely as amicable. Yet, in hindsight, it's so predictable.

Google the company name and you may find a pretty impressive web site that looks professionally done. A second business name or address is referenced in various places on the site, but you think nothing of it as you begin scrolling through all those enticing boats.

Perhaps you'll google the company’s address and an obscure warehouse pops up. Hmm, you think. Well, it’s not pretty, but hey, I’m getting a great deal on this boat. I guess they have to make ends meet somehow.

SPOILER ALERT: The website is a total scam, and while some old warehouse may be located at the given address, the actual “company” is, in fact, not.

Our source started down the path on this latest scam, but a few red flags flew up and he quickly ejected himself out of the nearest exit. Here’s what he reported on the experience, in his own words:

"The website is a total scam. I inquired about a boat they had listed and was given business names and locations that do exist, but they are only using those establishments as fronts for the grift. They ask you to pay for the boat up front. And they say you have seven days to inspect and reject the boat, in which case they “guarantee” you’ll get your money back.

Doing my own due diligence, I was able to track the boat to an ad on eBay that they copied in their “listing.” The rightful owner of the boat acknowledged that he had already sold it months earlier.

In my next email exchange with the scammers, they gave me a different business name and address. That address turned out to be some restaurant, which I’m sure has nothing to do with boats, nor does it have any connection to the scam."

And then there’s this gem from the alleged scammer’s website, under “How Does It Work?”

The first step to your dream boat is to find it and contact us to check the availability and other details. Now, if the boat is still available, there are two options:

Boat Reservation: For this option, you will have to pay 25% of the boat price so we can reserve the boat for you. After payment is confirmed by our bank, we will arrange all details of your visit to our warehouse to inspect the boat and complete the purchase on spot. This option is not available any more due to COVID-19 restrictions. (Right, of course it isn’t.)

For further detailed questions about the boat, our customer service is available 24/7. (You just have to trust some guy named Eddie over the phone.)

Direct Purchase with 10% discount: For this option, the buyer will have a 10% discount of the boat price. After payment is confirmed by our bank, we will prepare the boat for delivery. (Sure you will.) The boat will be in transit to the buyer’s destination in no more than 14 days. We will give the Buyer seven (7) working days as an inspection period starting from the moment the buyer receives the vessel. In this time the Buyer can verify the vessel received, verify the documents shipped the same time with the vessel. During the 7-day inspection period, Buyer shall also have the option of having a test, not to exceed 6 hours. (What a world!)

Moral of the story: Anyone asking for payment upfront before being permitted to see the actual boat should be heavily vetted. This is not the new normal, regardless of the monumental current demand for used boats.
    https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/buyer-beware

I haven't looked for a while, till today.

Their still at it, website stays the same, just stolen / cloned company name changes.

I've given up contacting the UK fraud squad at this stage, nothing much seems to happen except name change.

https://www.maritimeservicesltd.co.uk

• Advertisement
Advertisement