Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893bet wrote: »
    Have seen a few on TZ this year at 4.5k sterling. I was surprised at the “cheapness” of it on TZ when I went for a look completed sales this year as I was half considering buying it just for the sake of it as there is some money in the fund.

I'll be honest the black Explorer 2 would be the Rolex I'd be most interested in.
    Dial and complication are far more interesting to me at least than a sub.
    May change my long term plan if 4.5k sterling is a starter price in the UK, that's serious value IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

banie01 wrote: »
    I'll be honest the black Explorer 2 would be the Rolex I'd be most interested in.
    Dial and complication are far more interesting to me at least than a sub.
    May change my long term plan if 4.5k sterling is a starter price in the UK, that's serious value IMO.

Dat bezel tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fitz II wrote: »
    Dat bezel tho?

The stainless steel behemoth...
    I kinda like it, and a fixed bezel for the GMT doesnt bother me too much.

And I suppose one could always go mod crazy ;)
    Not that I could.

DSC06403.jpg

Rolex-Explorer-II-216570-08.jpg

There is something with the spacing and lettering on the bezel that give me an itch, I find it hard to put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Birneybau wrote: »
    Looks like Unkel is having a private chat with the seller

Seller bought last year from a friend, who bought from a jeweler in UK second hand about 5 years ago. The second bezel came with the watch but the original one is still pretty decent

Watch is 15 years old but has no record of service history. Seller is holding out for 6k (for now), which is dreamer territory in my book for a private sale
    893bet wrote: »
    The above is relatively sensible but I think 5.5k is plenty for that watch.

Agreed. If it had a recent enough service I would have gone as high as that. It hasn't so I'll pass on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

If it was white..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

If it was white..

The polar (white) is arguably prettier, it is more distinguished from any other Rolex professional watch, it has a better chance to become a desirable vintage and I think it is rarer. So it is more popular and thus, surprise, surprise, there are two chances ever finding one of those with box and papers for GBP4.5k / EUR5.5k :D

There is something with the spacing and lettering on the bezel that give me an itch, I find it hard to put my finger on it.

I think the spacing and lettering on the bezel is excellent, makes it very legible (not that that matters much, but it's aesthetically more pleasing). The bezel is also relatively small compared to the dial, which is rare enough for a sports / divers watch. A very manly watch, particularly the newer 42mm 216570 that you posted, not so much the older much smaller 40mm 16570 model on adverts we are discussing here (for someone with a bigger than average size wrist)

The relatively smallish dial on the yacht master is one thing that worries me about buying one without trying it on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Here's my recently purchased Blue Seiko SRPE53 but on a blue NATO for reduced price (about £21 less than I paid).

LAST ONE !!!!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/284019356281?ul_noapp=true

Edit: It's the SRPE63 because it's not on a bracelet. Also looks like the case is brushed rather than polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

SKX009K1 for £249~ €275 on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000275R72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowest it's been in a good while did briefly dip to £229 in January £249 is nearly as low as it will go now. €242 on creation but you'll almost certainly end up paying VAT and couriers admin charge.

Can't decide, I'm tempted should have bought one and the SKX007 years ago when they could be got for less than £150 paying £250 for one now galls, second hand they are going for over €300. All Seiko's have crept up though. Even the Seiko 5 version of the SKX aren't much cheaper and a Prospex can be got for not much more. I already have a Samurai though and I actually prefer the look of the SKX's to the Turtle even though it would be the better watch. It's probably as cheap as I'll get a new one and second hand are as dear at the moment and unlikely to drop. :confused:

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    SKX009K1 for £249~ €275 on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000275R72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lowest it's been in a good while did briefly dip to £229 in January £249 is nearly as low as it will go now. €242 on creation but you'll almost certainly end up paying VAT and couriers admin charge.

Can't decide, I'm tempted should have bought one and the SKX007 years ago when they could be got for less than £150 paying £250 for one now galls, second hand they are going for over €300. All Seiko's have crept up though. Even the Seiko 5 version of the SKX aren't much cheaper and a Prospex can be got for not much more. I already have a Samurai though and I actually prefer the look of the SKX's to the Turtle even though it would be the better watch. It's probably as cheap as I'll get a new one and second hand are as dear at the moment and unlikely to drop. :confused:

Its a good price on a decent watch. Nice proportions to the case too. But a strapcode oyster on it and its a winner.Sterling is alright at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its a good price on a decent watch. Nice proportions to the case too. But a strapcode oyster on it and its a winner.Sterling is alright at the moment too.

I have the 007 & 009 and they really are a nice watch . I paid around €90 each for them 7 or 8 yrs ago . Have a grey crafter blue strap on the 007 and a Zulu diver sail cloth on the 009.

Definitely the best value for money watches I ever bought .

They were great value up to about a year and a bit ago, I guess nearly 2 years ago. But sorry, €275 for an 007/009 is absurd. I have owned several Turtles some virtually brand new / unworn and I have never paid more than that for any of them. And a Turtle is a far superior watch. 007/009 is an entry level Seiko diver. I do realise they've all gone up in value, but that sort of price is just insane for a very cheap and basic Seiko.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

For anyone who has Amazon Prime, there's an early sale deal available on Strapcode's Super Engineer II bracelet for the SXK007/009/011 Seikos, with the proper 22mm round end links.

At €110, including taxes and delivery, it's a cracking deal direct to Ireland.

I use amazon.de and the translate function. Everything works the same but it seems to turn up better options than the UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    For anyone who has Amazon Prime, there's an early sale deal available on Strapcode's Super Engineer II bracelet for the SXK007/009/011 Seikos, with the proper 22mm round end links.

At €110, including taxes and delivery, it's a cracking deal direct to Ireland.

I use amazon.de and the translate function. Everything works the same but it seems to turn up better options than the UK site.

prime is region locked though? if i have prime uk i can't use prime on germany?

any chance of a direct link?

I had that bracelet on a previous Seiko, I think it was my Blumo. Good quality, deffo better than the OEM ones on the cheaper Seikos

prime is region locked though? if i have prime uk i can't use prime on germany?

any chance of a direct link?

I was logged in with a Prime sub, and I did the following search:

SKX007 bracelet 22mm

It threw this up:
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/SUPER-Engineer-Stainless-Curved-skx007/dp/B00O0L9UN8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=skx007+armband+22+mm&qid=1603886779&s=watch&sr=1-3

So, instead of €187, it came out as €110 odd.

I grabbed it straight away :)

So what im unsure of is if Strapcode and militat are actually the same?

I have a strapcode jubile for my 007 that i bought from tz forums.. heavy but comfy bracelet

So what im unsure of is if Strapcode and militat are actually the same?

I have a strapcode jubile for my 007 that i bought from tz forums.. heavy but comfy bracelet

No idea, TBH.

I just know that the Strapcode is hugely inflated in price when buying from her.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    No idea, TBH.

I just know that the Strapcode is hugely inflated in price when buying from her.

yes ive seen the militat go for much cheaper (almost half price of strapcode) and from some reports they are the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Miltat is Strapcode's own brand. There's 2 stores selling them on Amazon UK with wildly varying prices. Usually the Miltat listings are a good 50% cheaper than the Strapcode store for exactly the same thing.

Eg Miltat Angus Jubilee for SKX £76:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jubilee-Bracelet-Seiko-Brushed-Polished/dp/B01MUGT1RJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=miltat+jubilee&qid=1603887994&sr=8-3

david wrote: »
    Miltat is Strapcode's own brand. There's 2 stores selling them on Amazon UK with wildly varying prices. Usually the Miltat listings are a good 50% cheaper than the Strapcode store for exactly the same thing.

Eg Miltat Angus Jubilee for SKX £76:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jubilee-Bracelet-Seiko-Brushed-Polished/dp/B01MUGT1RJ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=miltat+jubilee&qid=1603887994&sr=8-3
    Which begs the question..why would one ever buy strap code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Which begs the question..why would one ever buy strap code?
    Looking further into it, it seems there's a third party shop called "Watch & Clock Parts UK" selling the more expensive ones that rank highest when you search "Strapcode".

When you search "Miltat" (the cheaper ones) they are direct from Strapcode UK.

Someone in their marketing dept. needs to resolve that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/fs-jlc-memovox-stainless-steel-case-c-1950s-or-1960s.5252923/

$500 for JLC alarm wrist watch - memovox... seems like it's worth a look seeing that Chrono24's lowest price is around 2k...

CONUS only, you need a cousin over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    CONUS only, you need a cousin over there :)

People say lots of things - you can always negotiate of you're interested and provide good references etc.

Never had an issue dealing with conus only people once they see genuine interest.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    People say lots of things - you can always negotiate of you're interested and provide good references etc.

Never had an issue dealing with conus only people once they see genuine interest.

few people have refused to deal with me outside of CONUS... luckily have a lot of work colleagues over there...

A lot of US folk are quite ignorant when it comes to posting abroad. Or ignorant in general really :pac:

Usually the same sort of people who don't have a passport and never have and never will leave the country that they were born in. I don't even bother asking if they have specified CONUS only.

Not generalising here. Great country and a lot of great people in it. Not all of them though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.wolf1834.com/offers/black-friday?p=4

Use code “earlybird” for 70 percent off.

Some eye watering expensive stuff and is just expensive once the 70 is taken off!

• Advertisement

Good spot 893....that wolf stuff is very expensive but I have seen it and its quality through and through

Advertisement