Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sorry. You have to watch your back with them. Little darlings !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

If we have to go back to blended learning and we have to do online classes - you can just show a whiteboard and turn off student mice and cameras. I did an online course like this and it was impressive. Students can still communicate with teacher via message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The government is setting itself up for a fall. It's plan is too late. Schools will open but late plus there will be chaos.
    There was fxxx all direction for online teaching. I never came across an online class facility that a kid could not record. Though I know some teachers took the risk with zoom I wasn't prepared to without a legal Gurantee.
    Yes I have seen breaches of privacy that made me heistate.
    I know some principal's pushed it ours wisely didn't.
    Given the delay in this plan(July) you have a better chance of Man utd winning the premiership next year than a viable online plan in place in case we shut again .

If we have to go back to blended learning and we have to do online classes - you can just show a whiteboard and turn off student mice and cameras. I did an online course like this and it was impressive. Students can still communicate with teacher via message.

What program was that ? Presume teachers still visible?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There are plenty like that, Zoom can be used that way, Lync/Skype too.You can screen share, or just go into presentation mode.Easily enough done.
    And much like college, if you are there and the class is being given in that manner, that is the best you can do.Circulate the notes beforehand for them to cover yourself.Much as lecturers do.
    What students are up to, whether they are listening or not, or attending, is out of your control.You can lead a horse to water and all that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Bobtheman wrote: »
    What program was that ? Presume teachers still visible?

It was done on zoom. I could definitely have recorded it but I only saw the whiteboard/presentation and listen to the speakers voice. I did not want to do zoom classes for reasons above but this seemed to have a bit if structure and i suppose you can always remove a disruptive student akin to putting them outside the door which you can't do know. A follow up email to parents could explain the breach. I would only be concerned with junior classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭combat14

we wont need (educational licence) for zoom sure we will all no matter what be back In the classroom ...

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Zoom, Skype, MS Teams or any of those other ‘commercial’ level videoconferencing platforms won’t work in secondary or primary.

The Blackboard learning platform have a virtual classroom called collaborate ultra. This is specifically designed for teaching and is the only platform that will work for us. The problem is that Blackboard is expensive and there is a learning curve for teachers .... both technically and pedagogically ... which will be a hard sell.

The answer might be for the Dept to get a license which can be available to all schools. This needs to be supported by training for teachers. There will also need to be time for teachers to transfer all material to PowerPoint etc.

Finally, this has to be compulsory. No exceptions. No excuses. Teachers have to use this if schools are closed. If students don’t engage that’s their issue. Any student recording the sessions etc will be sanctioned ... zero tolerance for idiocy and messing.

Anything less than that won’t work.

No chance of any of that happening tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭bren2001

Zoom, Skype, MS Teams or any of those other ‘commercial’ level videoconferencing platforms won’t work in secondary or primary.

The Blackboard learning platform have a virtual classroom called collaborate ultra. This is specifically designed for teaching and is the only platform that will work for us. The problem is that Blackboard is expensive and there is a learning curve for teachers .... both technically and pedagogically ... which will be a hard sell.

The answer might be for the Dept to get a license which can be available to all schools. This needs to be supported by training for teachers. There will also need to be time for teachers to transfer all material to PowerPoint etc.

Finally, this has to be compulsory. No exceptions. No excuses. Teachers have to use this if schools are closed. If students don’t engage that’s their issue. Any student recording the sessions etc will be sanctioned ... zero tolerance for idiocy and messing.

Anything less than that won’t work.

No chance of any of that happening tho.

Why is blackboard the *only* one that will work?

I've used blackboard extensively in the past and personally found it an absolutely terrible platform. It was a number of years back and may be much better now. Plenty of other people have a different view on it and thought it was brilliant.

There's a whole host of different platforms available. There are pros and cons to each one. For example, there's no reason why Zoom and Google Classroom won't work. If I was given the choice, it would be what I would lean towards.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Why is blackboard the *only* one that will work?

I've used blackboard extensively in the past and personally found it an absolutely terrible platform. It was a number of years back and may be much better now. Plenty of other people have a different view on it and thought it was brilliant.

There's a whole host of different platforms available. There are pros and cons to each one. For example, there's no reason why Zoom and Google Classroom won't work. If I was given the choice, it would be what I would lean towards.

I’m talking about a Blackboard add on called “collaborate ultra”. This is specifically designed for online/blended teaching ... Zoom and Skype are not.

There are also teaching tools baked in to collaborate ultra which Zoom & Skype don’t have.

There are plenty of YouTube videos for anyone not familiar with the platform.

• Advertisement

I’m talking about a Blackboard add on called “collaborate ultra”. This is specifically designed for online/blended teaching ... Zoom and Skype are not.

There are also teaching tools baked in to collaborate ultra which Zoom & Skype don’t have.

I'm familiar with collaborate ultra. You've stated it is the *only* suitable platform but provide no justification for this.

From a teaching perspective, I can achieve everything needed with Zoom, Google Classroom and a wacom tablet to deliver a fully interactive class (not that this is what I actually want to deliver).

Blackboard is not the *only* solution, it is *a* solution. There are a whole host of other alternatives which will suit different needs. Each having their own pro's and con's.

Can you justify why this one specific software is the *only* solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I haven't come across that before. It sounds really interesting. Will definitely look it up. Can I just ask in your opinion why it is better than the likes of Microsoft? Our school (secondary) use office365 and students had office365 emails already set up and were at least partially familiar with the platform so we used Microsoft Teams, personally I found it worked well for my subjects. (Other issues aside such as Teething problems/my own learning curve/IT access for students etc)

Im not an expert and I’m just giving my opinion on BB collaborate. It is designed for teaching whereas the other platforms mentioned are not. It links with the material you put on BB. It links with all the other discussion boards, blogs and other teaching tools available on BB. It has security features for teaching that Zoom etc don’t have. It manages bandwidth effectively for slower connections. It has mobile apps for iPhone and android. It is the primary online collaborative teaching platform used by everyone from the top Ivy League Universities to smaller schools in Africa.

If anyone has other opinions and thinks there are better platforms for teaching that’s fine. As usual, I’m just giving my own opinion.

Edited to say that there is an open source (free) alternative to BB called Moodle. I don’t know if it has a collaborate ultra type option. Some ETBs have this ... I know KWETB definitely have ... so that might be another option.

As long is there is a plan that is consistent, that will work and that comes from the Dept I personally don’t care if we use tin cans and a piece of string. Anything is better than this disorganised disjointed and piecemeal approach that is left to each school to sort out. That is trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Im not an expert and I’m just giving my opinion on BB collaborate. It is designed for teaching whereas the other platforms mentioned are not. It links with the material you put on BB. It links with all the other discussion boards, blogs and other teaching tools available on BB. It has security features for teaching that Zoom etc don’t have. It manages bandwidth effectively for slower connections. It has mobile apps for iPhone and android. It is the primary online collaborative teaching platform used by everyone from the top Ivy League Universities to smaller schools in Africa.

If anyone has other opinions and thinks there are better platforms for teaching that’s fine. As usual, I’m just giving my own opinion.

Edited to say that there is an open source (free) alternative to BB called Moodle. I don’t know if it has a collaborate ultra type option. Some ETBs have this ... I know KWETB definitely ... have, so that might be another option.

Cheers will look into BB sounds good especially what you said about managing bandwidth.

Also agreed re Department led approach. Coordination is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I've used Moodle. It's not that great. I've used blackboard at University level. It's fine, not any better than 365 though. The Microsoft full suite has my vote due to the level of integration and the somewhat intuitive nature of the Microsoft platform. Integrated email, file storage, file sorting, Teams and my beloved assignments. Especially for junior classes I found the forms setup with the ease of tracking assessment of and for learning across time to be excellent. For LC the OneNote ended up being the star with the added benefit of smooth, fast compiling with Microsoft stream for demonstration videos. Phone apps are excellent too

The other thing that swayed the principal eventually to my pitch was the fact we are preparing kids for the real world ......Microsoft is the prevalent platform and operating system......makes sense for them to be comfortable with it in general.

Oh and office 365 is free for educational institutions......look at the eyewatering prices businesses pay, gives you an idea of the quality

Edited to say that there is an open source (free) alternative to BB called Moodle. I don’t know if it has a collaborate ultra type option. Some ETBs have this ... I know KWETB definitely have ... so that might be another option.

As long is there is a plan that is consistent, that will work and that comes from the Dept I personally don’t care if we use tin cans and a piece of string. Anything is better than this disorganised disjointed and piecemeal approach that is left to each school to sort out. That is trouble.

There's nothing you've stated there that cannot be achieved by Zoom linked with Google Classroom. BB doesn't handle slower connections efficiently, it's not optimized for that at all. It's strengths lie with it's interface and the management system behind it. Zoom or Skype which is specifically designed for conference calls are far better at handling poor connectivity.

My single point was with your use of the word only, nothing else. BB is an option, one I think that is quite poor. You've used the word *only* yet it appears you've just discovered Moodle, one of the most popular Learning Management Systems out there. The most popular world wide I believe. That tells me everything I need to know.

How do you know BB doesn’t handle slower connections more effectively than Zoom etc?

If BB is “quite poor” as an option why do the best Universities and schools all around the world use it in preference to the platforms you claim are better?

Blackboard uses Microsoft Teams to allow interactive classes through their courses. I don't know how much you know about these programs. 365 is a different beast to use in University because you have to pay. Secondary schools don't. Licensing issues but also the level of in house support required to run effectively play into this massively. I've never heard any ICT expert suggest blackboard to secondary. They are just quite different fundamentally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

God not blackboard for secondary.... I use it and hate it. We’re on google education and it’s streets ahead for second level in my opinion.

Students add class with code. From within that class they can access all resources by date on the main feed or sort by tags/assignments on the class work page. Live classes can be joined by tapping the link. From the teacher side I can create collaborative documents, post individual documents and create assignments easily that integrate with the platform. Students can upload homework by completely their own versions of the documents (automatically created for them) or by uploading pictures.

Is there little things I would change? Yes.

Is it better than bb for my students? Yes

• Advertisement

How do you know BB doesn’t handle slower connections more effectively than Zoom etc?

If BB is “quite poor” as an option why do the best Universities and schools all around the world use it in preference to the platforms you claim are better?

Because I was asked to look into such applications as part of a committee last year for my University. I spoke to one of the reps and the conclusions drawn was Collaborate Ultra is a relatively poor piece of kit. We went with Zoom.

Blackboard and Moodle are used among Universities worldwide because there is relatively few options available. Google Classrooms and Teams work on a class or module level but do not work for very large institutions. Linking Moodle to a student information system so modules can be centrally created/destroyed and populated with new students as they register is relatively simple to do in Moodle/Blackboard. It can be done in Teams and Classrooms but they are not designed for this and, for this reason, don't do it very well. Hence why Moodle/Blackboard are heavily used.

For primary/secondary schools, Teams or Google Classrooms would seem to me to be by far the best fit. A lot of my peers run their lectures through Google Classrooms. That's my opinion. I questioned your use of the word *only* and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

bren2001 wrote: »
    Because I was asked to look into such applications as part of a committee last year for my University. I spoke to one of the reps and the conclusions drawn was Collaborate Ultra is a relatively poor piece of kit. We went with Zoom.

Blackboard and Moodle are used among Universities worldwide because there is relatively few options available. Google Classrooms and Teams work on a class or module level but do not work for very large institutions. Linking Moodle to a student information system so modules can be centrally created/destroyed and populated with new students as they register is relatively simple to do in Moodle/Blackboard. It can be done in Teams and Classrooms but they are not designed for this and, for this reason, don't do it very well. Hence why Moodle/Blackboard are heavily used.

For primary/secondary schools, Teams or Google Classrooms would seem to me to be by far the best fit. A lot of my peers run their lectures through Google Classrooms. That's my opinion. I questioned your use of the word *only* and nothing else.

We use Google classroom and as a teacher I founf it great for communication with the students, uploading work, correctiions and returns, and for pareents to use. On the otherhand as a parent of primary children I had to suffer with Seesaw which I found dreadful for communication, uploading work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

khalessi wrote: »
    We use Google classroom and as a teacher I founf it great for communication with the students, uploading work, correctiions and returns, and for pareents to use. On the otherhand as a parent of primary children I had to suffer with Seesaw which I found dreadful for communication, uploading work etc.

I had class dojo for my child and didn’t particularly like it. Impossible to find stuff if you miss a day. Seriously missing a tag option. And just attaching a load of things to the same post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Beginning to see announcements from secondary schools that they are implementing mask wearing for everyone.

I thought this was inevitable. I was more than surprised that mandatory mask wearing (with documented medical exceptions where necessary) wasn't in the government guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I’ve no doubt things can and probably will change however it is still clear that the gov’s back to school plan hinges on the belief that students don’t transmit the disease to the same extent as adults nor are as adversely affected as adults otherwise they would not have countenanced a full return. Time will tell if it is the correct decision or not.

This naïve belief was neverore than wishful thinking.

Recent extensive studies of over 60,000 contacts in South Korea have shown over 10s are as likely to catch and transmit CoViD-19 as adults, if not more likely.¹

The outbreak in a Georgia,US camp² which infected 260 children and teens shows younger children to actually be at more likely to catch CoViD-19 than older children.
    "The overall attack rate was 44% (260 of 597), 51% among those aged 6–10 years, 44% among those aged 11–17 years, and 33% among those aged 18–21 years"

If the government do not reassess their plans for reopening schools in the light of increasing evidence that children equally need to take similar public health measures as adults, then they are being negligent. If they don't they are either incompetent or dishonest.

The least they could do is be honest if they are making a conscious decision to place reopening schools (and hence the economy by allowing more parents back to work) above the public health risk.

At the moment their decisions don't appear to be based on sound science. I think it's only a question of how long before their plans come unstuck unless they rethink and incorporate greater public health measures.

¹ https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

² https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Even ucd is moving from blackboard. It’s bright space now.

The government needs to issue clear guidelines on online teaching. Guidelines that protect teachers legally. Not waffle.
    But unfortunately the poor little children brigade will stop that happening.
    The age of criminal intent is what 10? But seems like the law is either not applied to kids in school or there is no law stopping kids putting your video online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

in regards to hiring

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html

interesting reading

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The government needs to issue clear guidelines on online teaching. Guidelines that protect teachers legally. Not waffle.
    But unfortunately the poor little children brigade will stop that happening.
    The age of criminal intent is what 10? But seems like the law is either not applied to kids in school or there is no law stopping kids putting your video online.

What legal protections and guidelines are you looking for? I'm genuinely curious as opposed to criticising that view. At third level, I've zero issue with online teaching but I have much more control and the average age in my class is 21+. I can see it is very different at second level but what are the actual concerns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DubLad69

Has anyone used schoology? Its a much better version of blackboard, is linked to an office 365 account (so students with accounts can be automatically set up) and has video conference options.

Advertisement