Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried Bookies mightn't pay if I win big

• 21-04-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've been doing a lot of €10 Lucky 15 recently, usually at longish odds, and they're starting to only offer me SP which leads to me trying to find another shop to do the bet. It's pretty clear they know who I am at this point so I'm just worried that if I do hit 4 winners it would be in their interest to just refuse to pay me. Is this a reasonable concern or should I not be so worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How often are you winning.They have a max payout depending on the shop think pp is a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What bookie are the bets with and I'll give you an opinion about getting paid or not.
    I'd assume the reason you are getting SP only is because you have either won big or the odds have moved lower after you have had the bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saint Anthony

Often but no big winners (Just 1 or 2 correct selections per slip). I'm slightly under break even since April 1st (since I started keeping track). About 10k bet 9k returned. That's to be expected though given the high-risk high-reward nature of the bet. One bet with 3 winning selections would boost winnings massively (8k or so)

I'm using the lay odds on betfair as reference for all my selections as well, which I imagine rings alarm bells

If SP's are lower, you are goosed.

If you don't want to name the bookie send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I worked in a bookies , they will do all they can to refuse payment and offer SP
    seen a guy waiting for 80000 on one , 2nd co too but stuffed.
    Head office then wanted to know who he was , who took the bet , were the prices checked and on and on.
    Bottom line is they refused the named prices and only paid out SP , for 3 winners was near a grand.
    They love taking them all day long but will try worm out of paying.

If your a known gambler then they will likely hold a database in the head office and check that , may argue that you were banned from the shop or some other excuse.

Online is a better option , fully detailed receipt etc

Disgrace they think they can just offer SP purely because you won a bit

name and shame

• Advertisement

Not when they can limit you very easily and very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not when they can limit you very easily and very quickly.

go somewhere else then spread it around

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saint Anthony

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If SP's are lower, you are goosed.

If you don't want to name the bookie send me a pm.

Most of the SPs would end up being lower alright. Some would drift tho. It's with Boyles
    hawkwind23 wrote: »
    I worked in a bookies , they will do all they can to refuse payment and offer SP
    seen a guy waiting for 80000 on one , 2nd co too but stuffed.
    Head office then wanted to know who he was , who took the bet , were the prices checked and on and on.
    Bottom line is they refused the named prices and only paid out SP , for 3 winners was near a grand.
    They love taking them all day long but will try worm out of paying.

If your a known gambler then they will likely hold a database in the head office and check that , may argue that you were banned from the shop or some other excuse.

Disgrace they think they can just offer SP purely because you won a bit

name and shame

Boyles. In fairness they have paid out at the prices on the docket when I have won, but they obviously know who I am and don't want to take my bets. I imagine if I do win big what you said happened will happen to me tho, that they'll only pay out at SP. What I can't understand is why they don't just flat out refuse me. They go through this whole process of ringing up the traders and then saying "SP only mate". Are they worried if they flat out refuse me that I could sue them for discrimination or something?

Nearly all my online accounts are limited at this stage so thats not really an option. Can't get treble odds for Lucky 15s online either I think

Nearly all my online accounts are limited at this stage

That's explains a lot.

I'm guessing from you have said so far, you are a good judge or have good contacts.
    What you are doing now is the same as I'm guessing which caused you to be restricted online in the 1st place.
    Not sure what part of the country you are in but Boyles and PP have a good few shops around so you mightn't have to go into the same one each time?
    Another alternative is to give the slip to someone else to put on for you.
    Is they are going SP only on the L15's in that shop, don't waste your time going back.
    Once they have you restricted, they will never change it.

Not sure if you but Ladbrokes guarantee multiples between 12pm and 1pm.

Advertisement