Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I asked this question before but how many bags of acre per year do ye put on grazing ground?
    Ive spread 2can 1p/s and 2 18:6:12

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I asked this question before but how many bags of acre per year do ye put on grazing ground?
    Slurry to start in January.
    1 bag urea up to 1st April. Might be split.
    5 bags can to end of July.
    2 bags pasture to closed period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭cute geoge

When does pasture sward give the best response ?
    I go with slurry and urea spread after the first two grazings
    I go with 1 bag of can after each grazing ,but if weather comes dry i go with pasture so i am left with pasture this year to spread
    but do alot of lads go with pasture in the back end

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

anyone got the teagasc cost control planner? could they email it on to me please, I can pm my email address!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Ya i have PM ur address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

cute geoge wrote: »
    When does pasture sward give the best response ?
    I go with slurry and urea spread after the first two grazings
    I go with 1 bag of can after each grazing ,but if weather comes dry i go with pasture so i am left with pasture this year to spread
    but do alot of lads go with pasture in the back end

I suppose my pasture is usually mid summer. I just had it at the end there for counting proposes. Probably add on another bag of urea for top up in the backend. In a good milk price year I spread more 18-6-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

lad that does a few milkings for me never turned up this evening, he always does wednesday evening thursday morning, couldnt contact him. He is 100% reliable, I thought he was dead:o he rang me there and thought today was Tuesday. Lucky we hant planned on going away anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

kevthegaff wrote: »

Ive spread slurry 2 x pasture sward and 4 1/2 can. So far . Think i might of got a bit carried away.

Stocked at 3.4 all year with all silage on out farms. Feed meal all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Great start to day,cows broke wire and moved to next paddock last night ,then started to milk and forgot to connect milk line to tank,all this ams milk now in dirty water tank ,fook that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Great start to day,cows broke wire and moved to next paddock last night ,then started to milk and forgot to connect milk line to tank,all this ams milk now in dirty water tank ,fook that anyway
    i learnt the hard way check dairy after first row goes out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Been looking at a lot of parlors lately.
    Most of them have the waste water/milk from dairy dropping into a drain in the pit so you can see if any milk running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

dar31 wrote: »
    Most of them have the waste water/milk from dairy dropping into a drain in the pit so you can see if any milk running.

Ours runs into the front of the pit and down the pit, you would want to be well hungover to not notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote:

terror when one thing goes wrong it can knock your concentration or something, that's what I find anyway. it's normally a tale of woe for the day then!!!

whelan2 wrote: »
    i learnt the hard way check dairy after first row goes out

I'd say we've all done it at some stage lol. Having a healthy dosh of paranoia after the 1st row here also, always check dairy for the pipe, tank value and if its switched on just after 1st row, when you have abit of spare time. The new parlour in fairness solved the pipe out of the tank, if the pipe is still connected to the wash line the machine will not switch on to milk, MJ does yours not have that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

dar31 wrote: »

Have that system here, and it's embarrassing how many times it's saved me! Having said that had a lad milking for me one morning who was happy out milking away totally oblivious to the milk flowing through the wash channels in the pit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Blooded culls and stock bulls today as all sold by hand here.

Any all passed without incident till last animal a fr bull. Loaded into race with cows out he pops over wall. Load again with person each side out he pops again onto the table with the blood boxes on. Table in shyte and 5 blood bottles broken.

So out for cows again and sort ones to be re blooded. Tried my boy again and over the top. Said feck it he can become a happy meal on Monday, didn't bother testing him. Love the day the stock bulls leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Blooded culls and stock bulls today as all sold by hand here.

Any all passed without incident till last animal a fr bull. Loaded into race with cows out he pops over wall. Load again with person each side out he pops again onto the table with the blood boxes on. Table in shyte and 5 blood bottles broken.

So out for cows again and sort ones to be re blooded. Tried my boy again and over the top. Said feck it he can become a happy meal on Monday, didn't bother testing him. Love the day the stock bulls leave.
    Why blood stock Bulls ,no need

Why blood stock Bulls ,no need

A few were over 2yo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

A few were over 2yo

Are your cows lic/kiwi cross hybrids or do you cross fr/je yourselves so to speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

The only animal we didn't serve this yr is bulling tonight
    Fine cow only a 3rd calver. But couldn't get her to come bulling. Was scanned and was cycling but we cidrd her any way. Still never came bulling.
    Should I serve he amd sell her incalf or start milking her oad with the other empty cow I have and factory them in November?
    Nothing bred here since 16th july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭blackdog1

The only animal we didn't serve this yr is bulling tonight
    Fine cow only a 3rd calver. But couldn't get her to come bulling. Was scanned and was cycling but we cidrd her any way. Still never came bulling.
    Should I serve he amd sell her incalf or start milking her oad with the other empty cow I have and factory them in November?
    Nothing bred here since 16th july

I know farmers who breed late calvers who their going to cull to beef. Dry them off same time as rest but they get 4-5 months dry so their nice and fat when they calve. They sell the calve and the cow 2 days later. Sometimes they pull in 1500-1600 between both of them on the really big cows.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I know farmers who breed late calvers who their going to cull to beef. Dry them off same time as rest but they get 4-5 months dry so their nice and fat when they calve. They sell the calve and the cow 2 days later. Sometimes they pull in 1500-1600 between both of them on the really big cows.

If we were to get here incalf she would be milked on until Feb or so. May aswell get the last out of her instead of her sitting in a shed dry for the whole winter.
    Would prob sell in jan or feb

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Are your cows lic/kiwi cross hybrids or do you cross fr/je yourselves so to speak?

All ai used here is kiwi cross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

enquiring about buying a bunch of incalf heifers at the moment, what would ye expect to pay for decent heifers calving end jan-end march?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

simx wrote: »
    enquiring about buying a bunch of incalf heifers at the moment, what would ye expect to pay for decent heifers calving end jan-end march?

Crosbreed with good ebi 1200

caseman wrote: »
    Crosbreed with good ebi 1200

only heard of one bunch at that price and no ebi values present, they'll hardly get any dearer in another couple of months?

only heard of one bunch at that price and no ebi values present, they'll hardly get any dearer in another couple of months?

Agreed, 1200 is the price that I'd expect to pay for them in Dec! Thats when lads realise they don't have a cubicle space for them, or need the hassle of calving them down etc! Especially with loads of grass around now, people will be incline to let them graze on till housing.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Agreed, 1200 is the price that I'd expect to pay for them in Dec! Thats when lads realise they don't have a cubicle space for them, or need the hassle of calving them down etc! Especially with loads of grass around now, people will be incline to let them graze on till housing.

Yeah I think I'll hold out another while, for heifers that could be bought for circa 800 in April lads are asking 1200 ish now, they gained some value quick enough, would they gain as much value by jan/feb again? Doubt it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Yeah I think I'll hold out another while, for heifers that could be bought for circa 800 in April lads are asking 1200 ish now, they gained some value quick enough, would they gain as much value by jan/feb again? Doubt it imo

I killed an under 30 month hol heifer two weeks ago that failed numerous times to go in calf. She made €1490. If cull cows are making good money and heifers are being sold at less than the cost of rearing them there may not be as many for sale as you'd expect.

• Advertisement

Down load the grasstec app simx. Theres loads of stock up on it.
    heifers being put up on that daily

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement