Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd love to know how accurate and these weights are.

Pure guess, but this chap is growing it with years so would know his stuff, says it's too fair back on previous years to be any more. I'm buying it per ton so makes zero odds, he is going to be hit hard enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Timmaay wrote: »
    Pure guess, but this chap is growing it with years so would know his stuff, says it's too fair back on previous years to be any more. I'm buying it per ton so makes zero odds, he is going to be hit hard enough though.

Bought 11 acres last yr, was told v few crops were less than 25t/acre, and this was a fine crop. Weighed a few of the lorries and I'd say it was lucky if it averaged much over 20t/acre. Admittedly it was extremely dry

Bought 11 acres last yr, was told v few crops were less than 25t/acre, and this was a fine crop. Weighed a few of the lorries and I'd say it was lucky if it averaged much over 20t/acre. Admittedly it was extremely dry

I'm not going to deny I wouldn't have a clue what weight a load of maize is, all I know is it fed well, and plugged a big enough hole in winter fodder for me ha. Moving forward it isn't really part of the overall plan, at 50e/ton too expensive, high dmd silage bales and whatever other locally sourced fodder, like whole crop, beet etc are better value, alongside reducing or exiting winter milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm not going to deny I wouldn't have a clue what weight a load of maize is, all I know is it fed well, and plugged a big enough hole in winter fodder for me ha. Moving forward it isn't really part of the overall plan, at 50e/ton too expensive, high dmd silage bales and whatever other locally sourced fodder, like whole crop, beet etc are better value, alongside reducing or exiting winter milk.

Comparing against other bought in feeds it prob doesn't work out as dear as you think over them depending on the year.. Wouldn't buy silage again unless growing and cutting are within our control

Milked out wrote: »
    Comparing against other bought in feeds it prob doesn't work out as dear as you think over them depending on the year.. Wouldn't buy silage again unless growing and cutting are within our control

I'm lucky enough growing and cutting are under my own control for the silage. I've done out the sums, no comparison the grass silage definitely cheaper. Ya get other odd feeds popping up around here also, cheap spuds last year ha, beet the year before. For this winter I'm happy with the maize, but I know it's a huge 7/8/9k cheque I have to write out with questionable returns in a time of poor milk prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

just do it wrote: »
    What did you get for them?
    wont get cheque until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

Are you a milker or assisting the owner?

If you want a few brownie points, suggest putting all the heifers and hi dependence cows in one group. It will mean a bit more work bringing cows to and fro but his solids will increase and his in calf rate will improve.

You may even be able to negotiate a small bonus into it, perhaps a $per every 10kgms extra and $10 per every cow less empty.

On 450 cows that could become $12/1400 at the seasons end. You'd get a week in a hoor house before you come home out of it :):)

Just a milker. How does it lead to better solids and in calf rate? Seems like a no brainer if they are the results but I guess you would have to weigh it up against the cost of the extra work involved. That would mean another herd of about 120 cows, with a seperate rotation, at least another hour of bringing them in during grazing season, running them through AI seperately, extra wages per hour to name a few.

What does the $12/1400 mean?

Probably get a month in one if I went to Thailand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Sprayed last Wednesday.
    Baled today.
    awful matt of grass on it still and had mower down at 2cm.
    Direct drill was the plan. Should I wait a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

Sprayed last Wednesday.
    Baled today.

Wait a few days to make sure that green dies out of it. Otherwise whats the point in reseeding especially if direct drilling.:)

frogloch wrote: »
    Wait a few days to make sure that green dies out of it. Otherwise whats the point in reseeding especially if direct drilling.:)

The Green bits are just were cow pats were. All was brown when mower went in yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

The Green bits are just were cow pats were. All was brown when mower went in yesterday

Where's the cow pats now?:P No just wait 2 or 3 days to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Sprayed last Wednesday.
    Baled today.

DD away, still have 3/4 days before seeds maybe a week :).
    If a firebrigade runs needed

Blackgrass wrote: »
    DD away, still have 3/4 days before seeds maybe a week :).
    If a firebrigade runs needed

Been told can still spray 5 days after sowing with no affect too seed.
    The matt of grass wouldn't bother you?

Been told can still spray 5 days after sowing with no affect too seed.
    The matt of grass wouldn't bother you?

Whats the drill, discs should slice through grand. Spray right up the day new seeds poke through, just need giant brass b^^^s to risk it at last minute and then you run out of time :D.

Whats the drill, discs should slice through grand. Spray right up the day new seeds poke through, just need giant brass b^^^s to risk it at last minute and then you run out of time :D.

3m horsch pronto I think it is.
    may rub harrow around under the trees where there is that creeping grass

3m horsch pronto I think it is.
    may rub harrow around under the trees where there is that creeping grass

Just the straight coulter or mixing it up with discs also? just curious vs any issue. Can get 120kg pressure to coulter in theory atleast!

Just the straight coulter or mixing it up with discs also? just curious vs any issue. Can get 120kg pressure to coulter in theory atleast!

Last time he just cut the slot with discs and dropped in seed.
    would discs do much chopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Put a sheet of glass down and check it at least twice a day- the seed under the glass should germinate a day or so earlier-( to be fair,I've only seen that Done spring and autumn - not sure if the heat of our fantastic summer would make a difference

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Markcheese wrote: »
    Put a sheet of glass down and check it at least twice a day- the seed under the glass should germinate a day or so earlier-( to be fair,I've only seen that Done spring and autumn - not sure if the heat of our fantastic summer would make a difference

That's a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

You've rain coming and you're in a dry area so seed asap. Don't give the weeds any opportunity to get a head start. If the green is actively growing can't you spray again in a few days.

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    You've rain coming and you're in a dry area so seed asap. Don't give the weeds any opportunity to get a head start. If the green is actively growing can't you spray again in a few days.

Dad wants to leave a few days now I'm unsure.
    pulled up roots we cut 5 yrs ago. Shingle sitting right under that field. No more than 10 inches down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i sprayed 3 paddocks last wed, stopped after the first round as i saw a shower coming ,it passed not a drop fell so started again after a cup of coffee ,had it finished 2 hours and the heavens opened for 30 mins, i had the sprayer washed out and ready for the reseed spray underclear ,was going mad, it still worked seemed to get a good kill,ploughed ,leveled and set yesterday, now thats 6 paddocks done so far this year, if i can get 3 more done in early sept it will set me up nice for next year.

leg wax wrote: »
    i sprayed 3 paddocks last wed, stopped after the first round as i saw a shower coming ,it passed not a drop fell so started again after a cup of coffee ,had it finished 2 hours and the heavens opened for 30 mins, i had the sprayer washed out and ready for the reseed spray underclear ,was going mad, it still worked seemed to get a good kill,ploughed ,leveled and set yesterday, now thats 6 paddocks done so far this year, if i can get 3 more done in early sept it will set me up nice for next year.

This field brings us to 50%reseeded In 3 yrs
    about 80% of farm reseeded over all ij last 8 yrs..
    have milkers stocked at 4 most if the summer and reckon now when whole farm.is reseeded and p and k are right I could stock it that high yr round.
    Might not do any reseeding next yr and put that money into p and k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sr of 4 a bit ambitious gg this has been an exceptional year grass wise .3.3 /3.5 is about the outside you could go as a permanent sr for cows and then bump it up through periods of rapid growth

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Sr of 4 a bit ambitious gg this has been an exceptional year grass wise .3.3 /3.5 is about the outside you could go as a permanent sr for cows and then bump it up through periods of rapid growth

Nothing wrong with being ambitious mj
    Isn't jim delahunty and noel o toole doing it.
    If I can grow the grass no reason why I can't stock at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Stocked at 3.7 and I have taken 300kg dm per cow as bales. All indexes at 4 and 20% reseeded over the last ten years. One paddock last reseeded over 40 years and still grew more than the average. I can see no need to reseed unless I'm convinced new varieties will deliver more quality grass and more importantly more grass on the shoulders. 8.5 tons grown since the 16th April. I agree with Mahoney, it's been an exceptional year but if the milk price had been forecasted stronger I would have stocked at 4 or slightly higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Would advocate caution as well. You've listed 2 of the very top farmers out there who didn't get to where they are over night. It wasn't the hare that won the race. Was once told Running at a high Sr is like driving a car down narrow country roads at 100mph you need to know where every corner is very early or it could get messy.

Stocked at 3.7 and I have taken 300kg dm per cow as bales. All indexes at 4 and 20% reseeded over the last ten years. One paddock last reseeded over 40 years and still grew more than the average. I can see no need to reseed unless I'm convinced new varieties will deliver more quality grass and more importantly more grass on the shoulders. 8.5 tons grown since the 16th April. I agree with Mahoney, it's been an exceptional year but if the milk price had been forecasted stronger I would have stocked at 4 or slightly higher.

Fully agree with you BP.
    We had too much scutch here thiugh and wasn't producing
    what's left now is producing great grass and is growing as good as any.
    I'll be using tonnes grown on paddocks from now on to decide what to reseed

browned wrote: »
    Would advocate caution as well. You've listed 2 of the very top farmers out there who didn't get to where they are over night. It wasn't the hare that won the race. Was once told Running at a high Sr is like driving a car down narrow country roads at 100mph you need to know where every corner is very early or it could get messy.

Agree won't do it in one yr will rise it up over a few yrs and see how it goes and find that 'sweet spot'
    We'll be stocked at 3.6 next yr on what we always graze and silage ground to fall back on if it's too high

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Very different regime now with quotas gone.....was it you that claimed you were milking 35% more cows for the same amount of money.
    It gets to the stage where it's no longer worth the bother

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement