Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Herd of cattle stolen- IFA €10,000 REWARD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fish out of water

Any Update

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any Update
    Only what I heard on Morning Ireland that it is a suspected cross border gang who pay protection money to paramilitaries.
    http://irishindependent.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I have been following this through the group on Facebook. Shocking thing to happen these people. It is a pity they cannot release the cctv footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

When farmers started tagging cattle we had to record the colour of the calf on the white reg form. That has been stopped with a while. Such a thing would narrow down the animals available if retagging bogus animals. As it stands now any animal of a roughly similar age or size and correct sex can be retagged once you've got a card to suit.

Alot have the ability to take a picture of calf also on phone etc. Most breeds and cross breds would have fairly individual markings .

This could be attached to an e registration and kept on file. Cheap system compared to micro chipping for example .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

Foreign butchers/restaurant owners? Indian/Chinese/Thai and many more restaurants and take aways always need a good supply of meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Foreign butchers/restaurant owners? Indian/Chinese/Thai and many more restaurants and take aways always need a good supply of meat.

Because it can't possibly be irish people.

Because it can't possibly be irish people.

That's a possibility also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

As a matter of interest

How many have their stock adequtely covered for theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

As a matter of interest

Something I'd have to look at , and never thought much about either . You wouldn't feel 100k building up in stock until you have to replace them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

As a matter of interest

What is adequate cover. hard enough to do in daystock game. A 450kg Friesian bullock that was worth 650 last year might be worth 900 this year. If you had 60 that is a difference of 15K. Also say you are finishing cattle over the summer 60 cattle that might be 55K in February when finished might be coming into 80K. A broker told me one time you should insure the average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What is adequate cover. hard enough to do in daystock game. A 450kg Friesian bullock that was worth 650 last year might be worth 900 this year. If you had 60 that is a difference of 15K. Also say you are finishing cattle over the summer 60 cattle that might be 55K in February when finished might be coming into 80K. A broker told me one time you should insure the average

I'd insure the heavy end when thru are worth the most as that's when they would be stolen off me knowing my luck

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Don't mean to sound like a c@#t here or anything, it was a terrible thing to happen a farmer. But how come when McNamaras truck and 50,000 lettuce plants were stolen there was no reward?

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'd insure the heavy end when thru are worth the most as that's when they would be stolen off me knowing my luck

The heavy end this year and last year will be two totally different sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

micraX wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound like a c@#t here or anything, it was a terrible thing to happen a farmer. But how come when McNamaras truck and 50,000 lettuce plants were stolen there was no reward?

did they contact the media?
    journalists don't go looking for causes to write about because theres so many being pushed infront of them already

The heavy end this year and last year will be two totally different sums.

This is true

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

ganmo wrote: »
    did they contact the media?
    journalists don't go looking for causes to write about because theres so many being pushed infront of them already

Yes it was all over the news. Just google "lettuce plants stolen in rush" and you'll see all the articles. Phone wontlet me post llink's

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Does anyone else think there's more to this story than meets than the eye? I just think there is. That many animals taken? Imagine the noise they'd make. I dunno..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Brilliant. Well done to the farmers involved in this.
    BUT i still want these thieves found and in court.

road_high wrote: »
    Does anyone else think there's more to this story than meets than the eye? I just think there is. That many animals taken? Imagine the noise they'd make. I dunno..

If they were split up quickly enough they would vanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

why had he them all in the yard?Should they not have been out in the fields grazing considering it was the end of june?

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    why had he them all in the yard?Should they not have been out in the fields grazing considering it was the end of june?

They were out in an out farm the rustlers rounded them up. Lods of lads think it would be a lot of work gathering and loading such an amount of cattle.

First off there was from the pictures a lot of bucket fed cattle in them. When you would not be splitting them up they would be easy enough to gather and load up.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

They were out in an out farm the rustlers rounded them up. Lods of lads think it would be a lot of work gathering and loading such an amount of cattle.

First off there was from the pictures a lot of bucket fed cattle in them. When you would not be splitting them up they would be easy enough to gather and load up.
    Good cattle dogs I'd be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

road_high wrote: »

It does seem odd that so many were taken at one time. Hard to move them on, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

BENDYBINN wrote: »

If cattle are used to goin up the ramp to grass tgey would be no bother to load. Our heifers are moved to out farms and brought home again as calves and maidens they run up the ramp no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Any update on this?

Any update on this?
    I have been keeping an eye on their FB page but nothing new.
    Strange that 100 livestock can apparently disappear overnight on this little island. Considering that a "cross border/paramilitary" group are alleged to be involved it is no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    I have been keeping an eye on their FB page but nothing new.
    Strange that 100 livestock can apparently disappear overnight on this little island. Considering that a "cross border/paramilitary" group are alleged to be involved it is no surprise.
    THE longer it goes on the stranger it is

whelan2 wrote: »
    THE longer it goes on the stranger it is
    +1
    If they could make Shergar disappear without a trace, then it its no wonder.
    Saw on the FB page comments of insinuations that some of the stock could be repossessed stock :(

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    +1
    If they could make Shergar disappear without a trace, then it its no wonder.
    Saw on the FB page comments of insinuations that some of the stock could be repossessed stock :(

Only a matter of time till that happened

Advertisement