Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reseeding 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Very good I thought.
    Biggest thing is need to get the varieties that are going into the dafm trials need to go on farm at same time to get info off them before there approved. No point in only getting them on farm when there approved. Michael will need to be getting more seed thiugh to do this.
    3/400 kgs of one variety not enough needs 1ton min.
    very worthwhile programme and alot of info is going to be got out if it for both farmer and teagasc

Am I understanding you correctly in that a gene Ireland test bull style programme for grass seed is needed? Could get very risky for the test farmers sowing untested varieties? Good for the industry as a whole tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

browned wrote: »
    Am I understanding you correctly in that a gene Ireland test bull style programme for grass seed is needed? Could get very risky for the test farmers sowing untested varieties? Good for the industry as a whole tho

Yep next step is genomics. Oak Park are 2 yrs out from it pat connaughon said today.
    That was said alright that the wrong variety will come to farm level quicker with genomics so animals will have to be brought into the equation in the breeding programme to eliminate that problem.
    Getting higher production grasses should take 5-7 yrs instead of the current 15

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

jfh wrote: »
    Count, tyrella is the only diploid, the rest are all tetraploids. i'm thinking it's a good mix if it's sold like that.

would i be better to put out gran lime before harrowing or push out ground lime a few months later onto the new grass seed?

edit : i read somewhere that a grazing mix should be <40% tetraploids
    this mix goes against that.

anyone have experience of using similar mix

Jfh,

I actually used those 4 varieties last year in a reseed, but I adjusted the kgs of each to make it 60% diploid. I also added 2 types of clover. Total mix was 16kg per acre which is a mighty job. Make sure to fire in 3 bags of 10-10-20 or whatever else it needs. Best reseed I've seen in a long while and gave a great crop of silage this year. Put down the gran lime as it's been tilled and it will also deal with surface acidity as the old grass/ roots rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

so animals will have to be brought into the equation in the breeding programme to eliminate that problem. 15

Not fully following this part, is that the cutting only trials will be shortened and grazing trials with the grasses introduced quicker?

Cutting the waiting time from 15 to 5 years would be worth a lot of €€€€. is there a level of risk in introducing aggressive subspecies of grass. Way easier to contain and remove substandard bovine genetics than grass genetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭jfh

aberchoice is also a diploid so its a 50/50mix

running the mix through the ppi your looking at the following outcome

your mix has a ppi of £155
    spring growth value of £29
    summer growth value of £41
    autumn growth value of £38
    quality value of £42
    silage value of £12
    persistency of £-7 thing this equates to 11 years of production.
    and an nice close heading date for all varieties.
    looks a well balanced mix of grass seed to be honest

Sorry your right. Thanks for thorough answer. Will check out that ppi

• Advertisement

Jfh,

I actually used those 4 varieties last year in a reseed, but I adjusted the kgs of each to make it 60% diploid. I also added 2 types of clover. Total mix was 16kg per acre which is a mighty job. Make sure to fire in 3 bags of 10-10-20 or whatever else it needs. Best reseed I've seen in a long while and gave a great crop of silage this year. Put down the gran lime as it's been tilled and it will also deal with surface acidity as the old grass/ roots rot.

Was going with 4 bags of seed for 3acres which works out at 16kg. Was leaving the clover out.
    Good reseeding section in the examiner today

Not fully following this part, is that the cutting only trials will be shortened and grazing trials with the grasses introduced quicker?

Cutting the waiting time from 15 to 5 years would be worth a lot of €€€€. is there a level of risk in introducing aggressive subspecies of grass. Way easier to contain and remove substandard bovine genetics than grass genetic
    Breeding trials will be shortened aswell as cutting trials. Finding the varieties with what traits are wanted will be faster.
    It was the farmers that haf 2 monoculturesin one paddock that suggested animals will have to be brought in by the grass breeders to test grasses because these farmers found cows would instantly go to one grass variety over the other on only pick away at the other variety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Whats the shortest and longest time ye leave ground thats sprayed and then ploughed before going in with power harrow, could it be done the day its ploughed or have ye left it a month before harrowing etc, thanks

Whats the shortest and longest time ye leave ground thats sprayed and then ploughed before going in with power harrow, could it be done the day its ploughed or have ye left it a month before harrowing etc, thanks

Go in asap. Would want it back growing grass as quick as possible

Decided to reseed another 5 ac here.
    Going to spray off and mow best way isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

nothing to be gained by leaving it.

nothing to be gained by leaving it.

It recommends on the roundup to leave for 14 days. You saying you can go in straight away?

Possibly misunderstood post. I mean leave it 14 days after spraying

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Decided to reseed another 5 ac here.
    Going to spray off and mow best way isn't it?

spray,graze,top,fym,plough,roll,lime,powerharrow once hopefully,roll or harrow, fert. sup of rain small happy days:)

spray,graze,top,fym,plough,roll,lime,powerharrow once hopefully,roll or harrow, fert. sup of rain small happy days:)

Won't be ploughed be DD.
    be torture ploughing it. Field prob hasn't been reseeded in 25 yrs plus and has a avenue of 250 + yr old lime and beach trees

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Won't be ploughed be DD.
    be torture ploughing it. Field prob hasn't been reseeded in 25 yrs plus and has a avenue of 250 + yr old lime and beach trees

you don't have to Plough along by the trees. Pull soil over with the land leveler and give it a run of power harrow then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

jfh wrote: »
    It recommends on the roundup to leave for 14 days. You saying you can go in straight away?

Possibly misunderstood post. I mean leave it 14 days after spraying

Sorry I thought you meant the gap between ploughing and harrowing. Give it the full two weeks and if it's an old this lea give it the full dose of round-up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A slow process due to heavy ground and weather:

Screenshot_2015_07_21_18_54_25.png
    Screenshot_2015_07_21_18_54_36.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

just do it wrote: »
    A slow process due to heavy ground and weather:

Screenshot_2015_07_21_18_54_25.png
    Screenshot_2015_07_21_18_54_36.png

I admire your record keeping!

I admire your record keeping!

Has developed over the years due to forgetfulness. The mobile has replaced my brain :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

So folks to stoke the coals a bit I'm going to suggest rolling of ground for reseeds is overrated (and I hope I'm not talking too soon!). My first reseed 2 years ago was disc and power harrowed on consecutive days and the seed and fertiliser was applied the next day. About half of it got slurry and the other half was rolled. There was no difference between the 2 halves.

Last year I did a full no till other than the chain harrow and didn't roll it and it took.

This year I disc and power harrowed with a break in between because the ground got wet. I felt it was a bit more open than I'd like and was talking to the contractor about rolling and he reckoned there was no need. His recommendation was to chain harrow it after the power harrow and then spread the seed. I didn't do that as there was impending rain and stayed going to 4am to get the seed out. Sure enough the rain came the following morning so glad I did it.

Maybe it's because I'm in a high rainfall area that I'm getting away without rolling it? Moisture gives the required contact with the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Interesting opinion, I have read on other threads that you should be able to cycle a push bike around and leave no mark before you spread the seed and other people talking about the three rs 'roll roll roll'. It's not something I know much about myself ha ha

agriman27 wrote: »
    Interesting opinion, I have read on other threads that you should be able to cycle a push bike around and leave no mark before you spread the seed and other people talking about the three rs 'roll roll roll'. It's not something I know much about myself ha ha

There would be no reseeding done on the west coast waiting for such conditions! When this ground was sprayed off it was at its driest in years. Since then there's been no long than 2-3 dry days in a row. And I still consider it a good summer. The total rainfall has been low it's just it's been frequent showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

There would be no reseeding done on the west coast waiting for such conditions! When this ground was sprayed off it was at its driest in years. Since then there's been no long than 2-3 dry days in a row. And I still consider it a good summer. The total rainfall has been low it's just it's been frequent showers.

I understand what it's like, I have heavy land here too, it's a constant battle to keep on top of drainage issues. I find it drains my finances and it doesn't increase profitability it's just costly maintenance work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

So folks to stoke the coals a bit I'm going to suggest rolling of ground for reseeds is overrated (and I hope I'm not talking too soon!). My first reseed 2 years ago was disc and power harrowed on consecutive days and the seed and fertiliser was applied the next day. About half of it got slurry and the other half was rolled. There was no difference between the 2 halves.

Last year I did a full no till other than the chain harrow and didn't roll it and it took.

This year I disc and power harrowed with a break in between because the ground got wet. I felt it was a bit more open than I'd like and was talking to the contractor about rolling and he reckoned there was no need. His recommendation was to chain harrow it after the power harrow and then spread the seed. I didn't do that as there was impending rain and stayed going to 4am to get the seed out. Sure enough the rain came the following morning so glad I did it.

Maybe it's because I'm in a high rainfall area that I'm getting away without rolling it? Moisture gives the required contact with the soil?

Have reseeded a few times here.
    1st time - Set with a seed barrow, rolled with ordinary roller
    2nd - One pass, then Cambridge / ring roller
    3rd - One pass, No roll

Now, it could be different between a one pass and broadcasting the seed.

But I don't plan on rolling next bit of reseeding (mainly cos the ground is high, and a roller would do more damage than good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Main reason for rolling is to have a firm seed bed for contact in dry conditions mainly. A few people here recommend not to roll if ground is moist as it would compact the ground and also the soil can stick to Toller and take seed with it. Never roll prior to setting here but would after unless it rains, as much to bury stones as an thing else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

Milked out wrote: »
    Main reason for rolling is to have a firm seed bed for contact in dry conditions mainly. A few people here recommend not to roll if ground is moist as it would compact the ground and also the soil can stick to Toller and take seed with it. Never roll prior to setting here but would after unless it rains, as much to bury stones as an thing else

Same as that here

Milked out wrote: »

Contractor said similar. His problem with rolling was it would form a crust and prevent water penetration. This advice was given 24 hours ahead of a forecast deluge. Whilst it rained, it wasn't as bad as forecast. Plenty small showers with warm humid conditions since so confident it will take.

Did a ph test on field I sprayed off today.
    ph 5 5 under trees and 6.4 in centre of field.

4 bags of phisolith going around headlands and 2 on rest if the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Did a ph test on field I sprayed off today.
    ph 5 5 under trees and 6.4 in centre of field.

4 bags of phisolith going around headlands and 2 on rest if the field

Why the phylosith gg.i priced and looked at it when doing my reseed 2 weeks ago and couldn't justify the price 245 a tonne.200 kg per acre at reseed and 100 kg every year then.put out 2 tonne ground lime at 23 euro an acre spread and I'll get 4/5 years before it'll need any again

Advertisement