Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reseeding 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Robson99 wrote: »
    Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Thanks for the replies lads

If u don't want an open award use 80% plus diploid grasses ,

Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

I'm wondering about the persistence of all these new seeds.

The old boys Cancan and Navan will be hard beaten

was talking to a seed merchant and she was saying that it takes 18 years for seeds to go from an idea to sales so in reality all new seeds were thought up way back in the late 90's. Might have been more of an emphasis on silage yields and quality back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Often wondered if a DNA analysis was done on the grass in a grazing paddock say 10 years after reseed how many of the original varieties would still be present. My own theory is that the variety that best suits the site the management of a particular farmer would dominate and there may be only one variety present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Some of you seem to be fans of monocultures . Why choose over a 3 way mix for example.
    Team of bulls for breeding,team of seed varieties no?

• Advertisement

Some of you seem to be fans of monocultures . Why choose over a 3 way mix for example.
    Team of bulls for breeding,team of seed varieties no?

Do you put 3 straws into a cow at any one service?

Part of a monoculture trial with teagasc so that's why I'm going that way. The way I see it In time I'll see which variety suits the farm best. Any any rate there's 11 different monocultures growing on the farm so should be a higher reliability than having them all in a 3 way mix

Would never put in single monoculture ,if it fails or ain't palatable etc your frigged.3/4 varieties spreads risk .reseeding is a great job but to put single variety in is too brig a risk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Would never put in single monoculture ,if it fails or ain't palatable etc your frigged.3/4 varieties spreads risk .reseeding is a great job but to put single variety in is too brig a risk

Wouldn't it be very very rare that a crop would fail as a result of the seed alone?

a benefit to monocultures is that tetraploids and diploids require different management as in diploids need to be grazing at a lower covers to maintain palatability throughout the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Also taking part in grass trials with moorepark.
    I don't see a risk with it tbh
    any reseed can fail don't see how it could fail just because it's a monoculture
    also get access to the best advice in the country and the most recent research
    you could just as easily get an unpattable reseed if it was in a mix

Also taking part in grass trials with moorepark.
    I don't see a risk with it tbh
    any reseed can fail don't see how it could fail just because it's a monoculture
    also get access to the best advice in the country and the most recent research
    you could just as easily get an unpattable reseed if it was in a mix

Yep fair point gg ,but reseeding gives huge return,.to chance it by using one variety or skimping on fert lime etc is a big gamble.greenfield have some monocultures that are very unpalatable and can't get cows to graze them properly and have also heard of it on other farms..on the more park trial farms will they be compensated if a monoculture proves a failure???.

• Advertisement

Yep fair point gg ,but reseeding gives huge return,.to chance it by using one variety or skimping on fert lime etc is a big gamble.greenfield have some monocultures that are very unpalatable and can't get cows to graze them properly and have also heard of it on other farms..on the more park trial farms will they be compensated if a monoculture proves a failure???.
    Agree no point in reseeding if your going to skimp on fert or lime.
    I'd doubt it tbh mj. It's down to you. Seed is given to you so ye can't really blame them.
    They have reseeded one field in greenfield recently the cows didn't like to eat what was in it previously. Sown to aston energy now.
    last yrs one they did on the new ground the cows don't seem to like. Happened that it got taken out for bales for its second grazing dunno how it's got on since

what variety did they remove? i know a lot of farmers on the trial who were complaining about tyrella. ive had a paddock sown with mezquita which I was cursing for years and just an alteration in grazing and its flying this year with cows licking it to the floor

browned wrote: »
    what variety did they remove? i know a lot of farmers on the trial who were complaining about tyrella. ive had a paddock sown with mezquita which I was cursing for years and just an alteration in grazing and its flying this year with cows licking it to the floor

Abigail said it last day. Ive forgotten it now. I'll know wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do certain grass types suit certain years and ground conditions ?
    Some grass types mightn't be as palatable or productive in a normal year ( what ever that is ?) but come into their own in a drought .
    Often thought grass types and mixes should be rated over 10 years or so ( life of a reseed)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

location soil type and management id say play the biggest parts. a farmer less than 40 minutes from me loves the variety majestic while ive no mass in it

I think tetraploids are more suited to drought conditions. the reason the mezquita is preforming better is cause im grazing it at a lower height compared to other years. diploids tend to have greater ground cover so the thick swards makes it difficult to get good clean outs if it gets too bulky. visually speaking I'd graze a diploid when it looks to have a cover of say 1,000.
    any seed that is new this year was bred maybe 18 years ago so they've probably had years of field trials.

Cut this square yesterday at 3 o clock in reseed.
    Have it half fenced today. Stakes to drive tomorrow and get water sorted and cows will be in in 3 - 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Have it half fenced today. Stakes to drive tomorrow and get water sorted and cows will be in in 3 - 4 days

when was it sowed

when was it sowed

The 1st of May

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I was just saying the same thing to dad last week. Field that was swt aside and sown 10 yr ago here growing as much so far as recent reseeds.
    Think dad said it was 2 varietys in it.
    One was Portstewart but he can't remember what the other one was
    I'd never forget such a thing ..... once my spreadsheets don't get lost somewhere in the cloud!

What was the alteration?

• Advertisement

Did it get post-emergence spray? Flying it by the looks of it.

just do it wrote: »
    Did it get post-emergence spray? Flying it by the looks of it.

Yep last Monday. Bit of rain would crown it. The slits that were cut with drill have opened up with the lack of moisture

Yep last Monday. Bit of rain would crown it. The slits that were cut with drill have opened up with the lack of moisture

Those cracks are natures cure for compaction ;). Some of them can run to 1m deep. They also allow grass roots to go deeper to find water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

What mix would ye recommend for graze&silage 2cuts. Usually use Drumbo,abergain&Tyrella on grazing ground. Great mix. But don't know how well that mix would go with silage cutting. Was going to include some Astonenergy this time. Any recommendations ( free draining ground)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Those of you using monocultures: Which varieties do you find best for paletability?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

just do it wrote: »
    Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying.First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

What did you do differently between the 2 fields? Extra N? Grazed earlier or tighter?

Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%

Those of you using monocultures: Which varieties do you find best for paletability?

Abergain by a country mile. Cows will consistly eat it to the ground. Very leafy and a bit open so it makes it easy for cows to graze

[/quote] Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%[/quote]

moorepark research showed that cows grazed on tetraploids produced 4% higher milk yields and 5% more milk solids due to their higher leaf proportion, higher digestibility and better utilisation in comparison to diploids.

Have to agree with mahoney. At a group meeting last night the adviser said you shouldn't really go below 75% diploid and definitely no less than 60%[/quote]

moorepark research showed that cows grazed on tetraploids produced 4% higher milk yields and 5% more milk solids due to their higher leaf proportion, higher digestibility and better utilisation in comparison to diploids.[/quote]
    I beg to differ ,I've one field of 50% t 50% d from dads time left (7 year old reseed )cows do clean it but no better than high diploid varieties .that field is a pain ,really open sward ,poor ground cover ,grass just grows up and always suspectible to docks.only thing I do like about it is the fact it didn't shut down near as quick in drought as diploids.thsnkfully we don't get many though .as for the more park trials ,can't comment but I'm very happy with what I grow and solids and yields produced off high diploids.as long as grass is grazed and pitted/baled at correct stage don't think it matters a ****e what variety

• Advertisement

I beg to differ ,I've one field of 50% t 50% d from dads time left (7 year old reseed )cows do clean it but no better than high diploid varieties .that field is a pain ,really open sward ,poor ground cover ,grass just grows up and always suspectible to docks.only thing I do like about it is the fact it didn't shut down near as quick in drought as diploids.thsnkfully we don't get many though .as for the more park trials ,can't comment but I'm very happy with what I grow and solids and yields produced off high diploids.as long as grass is grazed and pitted/baled at correct stage don't think it matters a ****e what variety

is one paddock of which only 50% is a tetraploid a large enough
    sample to highlight the shortcomings of tetraploids? in theory after 7 years the diploids of the mix should be taking over and be the dominant species in the paddock.

I fully agree it a doesnt matter as it'll be a personal choice of the farmer but given that a lot of independent research is showing measurable benefits to the use of tetraploids I think theyre worth considering more in mixes.

in the monoculture trial for the last two years the top yielding variety across all the commercial farms has been abergain which backs up its placing on top of the ppi list.

realistically all we should be looking at this list and picking grasses based on our requirements be it increased spring and autumn growth for highly stocked spring herds or persistency for those who don't want to reseed too often etc

Advertisement